Tackles With Lots of Rope In Between

mikiek

Getting to the running rigging on my current build and having a problem. Lots of the rigging, braces for instance, have a block at each end with 4"-5" of rope in between. I'm getting a lot of these twisted up and have not come up with a good way to prevent it (or fix it).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW - most of the rope I use is from Syren, not the kit stuff.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Do it like is done on full size Block and Tackle, make your turns through the sheaves in the same direction as the lay of the rope after uncoiling and laying it out straight without twisting or kinks. Will still want to twist so put it under strain and leave it for enough time to train it, fibers will adjust themselves that way. Someone will probably be saying to soak in diluted glue when in position, secure it there until watered down glue drys.

Edited by jud

Hi Mike, as per Jud and I tend to rig mine off the model first using the vertical (adjustable) part of my rigging station shown below.  i adjust this to the right distance apart (just longer than needed), clip the hooks into the alligator clamps (with both block facing the same way - end on or side on) and rig it here before transferring to the ship.  If two single blocks, start with the rigging line attached to the heel of the upper block, run to bottom block threading from front to back, up to the top block threading back to front then down to the bottom block.  Cut the running end allowing enough to form several loops or coils after belaying.  Use a micro clip (see other photo - available from electronics stores) to temp hold the running end to the other parts of the tackle lines.  The trick is to ensure you do not twist this setup during transfer :) 

This station (rigging crab) is based on one designed by the late Hubert Sicard (Wooden Ship Modelling for Dummies).

59ed74107e8b9_RiggingStation.thumb.jpg.97afe23b2e548ceea00359b20ebe81a8.jpg

59ed741448258_StirrupsStbd.thumb.JPG.b7a9af3263138fa681cb1c97a8a8a2f2.JPG

I hope that helps?

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Slightly off-topic: Pat, I gather this black thingies are Pomona™ micro-grabbers ? They look very useful. Just checked on the Internet and I could get ten for USD 20 plus shipping and handling of USD 23 :o. Somehow I don't understand how the Chinese can sell a pack of ten similar 'grabbers' at € 1.35 with shipping included:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Wo4AAOSw4GVYOQ84/s-l1600.jpg

OK, the US American ones look more upmarket ... sorry for the USA economy, but the hobby budget is limited.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hi Eberhard, thanks for your comments, and yep they come in various guises and brands.  I have three different sizes with the larger ones used for shrouds and the like.  Not sure of the brand name of mine but they were relatively cheap to acquire from the local electronics store - I think the smaller ones are used for testing circuit boards and the like.  Sure are a lot cheaper on eBay :).

cheers

Pat  

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Got mine from china thru ebay $ 1.83 if I remember free shipping about 11 months ago took a gamble because of the price thought it would be trash fantastic little beings they grab and hold handle a lot of tension

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some as well. Wish they were heavier. Sure I could dangle some weight off them but I could do that with an alligator clip too.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo