Swann-Morton Scapel

I just posted most of this in “What have you received today”, but I need help and thought it would be a good idea to post here as well.  

I picked up 100 Swann-Morton no. 11 scalpel blades.  They came with handle, a plastic box that is somehow going help to removing blades and a pair of hemostats.  There were no instructions on how to install blades and everything I tried seemed to be too hard and clumsy.  All this was exacerbated by total fear that I was going to cut off a finger.  I would truly appreciate any help on how to use this thing.  Thanks.

Best.

John

8E5D2ED5-757F-477A-B788-C0A507F84ABF.jpeg

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

What I do is use hemostats to grip the blade.  It basically goes on the top end of the holder, then you slide it down until the bottom clicks in place.20171024_192914_resized.thumb.jpg.ff714058ee0807248bd7033d74936aba.jpg20171024_192944_resized.thumb.jpg.c0e0cd1bfe2cda74d86e63727feffeba.jpg20171024_193006_resized.thumb.jpg.b7b00f9780cc64ca52871965de07731e.jpg

I always wear safety glasses when I'm working with them because I have had a couple of blades snap while I was using them.  In all fairness I was likely using too much force on it and probably should have been using a different tool for the application.  I agree though, they can be intimidating.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

First thing is throw that blue box in the bin. Pretty useless :angry:.

I simply use a small pair of flat needle-nose pliers, grasp the blade just on the "pointy" side of the slot and slide the blade down toward the handle until it clicks in. Removal is a reverse of the same, except I grab the end closest to the handle and lift the blade enough to clear the locator.

I've never broken a blade or cut myself, and the only tricky one was the first one I tried (about 90 blades ago :)). It takes me longer to open the pack than it does to actually change the blade :D. They get a lot easier after you've changed a couple.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I've fitted many scalpel blades over the years.  Peel open the package enough to expose the heel,  a bit further than slot of the blade.  Avoid picking up the blade with your fingers - use the hemostat.  I usually grasp the blade at a more acute angle along the spine, i.e. not perpendicular.  Then slide it onto the groove of the handle   To remove, you can grasp the heel of the blade with the hemostat and slide it off.  I've never used the removal device, but I'm sure you can figure that out or find directions online.

Oh, and see if you can find a pair of Mayo-Hegar needleholders; they'll work much better.  Needleholders have long handles and short heavy serrated jaws, often with carbide inserts.  Another highly useful instrument is a right angle artery forcep (a Mixter, or Crile style) - similar to a hemostat, but with longer handles and as the name implies, the jaws are bent in a right angle.  They're very useful for manipulating things.  And generally, I always prefer curved hemostats to straight hemostats, and the same for thumb forceps (tweezers).

Edited by Bob Blarney

Thanks Derek,

I’ll give a shot tomorrow when I don’t have 2 snootfuls of single malt under my belt.  Does it take a lot of force?  I also noticed that the slot for the blade is about 1/3 the depth of the handle.  So which side the cutting edge blade go on, the 1/3 side or the 2/3 side?

Thanks,

John

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

18 minutes ago, Landlocked123 said:

Thanks Derek,

I’ll give a shot tomorrow when I don’t have 2 snootfuls of single malt under my belt.  Does it take a lot of force?  I also noticed that the slot for the blade is about 1/3 the depth of the handle.  So which side the cutting edge blade go on, the 1/3 side or the 2/3 side?

Thanks,

John

You installed it on the correct side. 

The first video is exactly how I do it, but using needle-nose pliers instead of any special gripping tool. Thanks Bob.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I'd also use needlenose pliers instead of a hemostat too, if I didn't have needleholders.  I think that small hemostats are just too delicate for comfortable and safe handling.  Also, if you don't use the blade extractor, collect your sharps as we did in the bad old days, in a bottle with a screw cap for disposal - something like a softdrink bottle.    

while we're discussing using surgical instruments - here's a video about using an instrument to tie a knot.  This can be very useful when you only have a short length of line/thread to work with.  But generally, a surgeon uses only fingers to tie, because the fingers will tension the know better than with an instrument and a finger.

I use the same procedure as Dan and never injured myself in 30+ years ... Fear makes your movements unsure ;)

Doctors and nurses uses such removal devices because they handle the equipment with surgical gloves that may not be perforated in order to remain sterile and in order to minimise the risk of infecting themselves by contaminated blood etc.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks Guys,

The advice and videos were very helpful.  I truly appreciate the assistance.

Best,

John

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

Just as a side note, I made this inexpensive way to safely dispose of scalpel blades and other sharp blades such as razor blades.  I bought a can of beef stock.  Instead of cutting off the top, I simply put a slot in the top carefully with a heavy kitchen knife.  I then emptied the contents of the can into a soup I was making and rinsed it out several times. It takes a bit of patience because you are trying to rinse it through a narrow slot.  When dull I slip the used blade through the slot.  I have been using it for two plus years now and it's still not close to being filled.  When it is full you can simply recycle it.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Instrument tying is often superior to hand tying.  It allows me to get into tight areas that even my small hands would find difficult.  Once you get the feel for the correct amount tension to apply for the type and weight of the material, it is just as secure as hand tying.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, tlevine said:

Instrument tying is often superior to hand tying.  It allows me to get into tight areas that even my small hands would find difficult.  Once you get the feel for the correct amount tension to apply for the type and weight of the material, it is just as secure as hand tying.

There is another way to instrument tie other than as shown in the video.  It involves passing the longer end of the thread alternatively over and then under the jaws of the instrument.  It is also useful when space is restricted.  I'll see if I can find a video that shows it, or maybe I'll make a vid if I have some time to set up a 'studio'.

• 2 years later...

Here I am as usual, finding old posts and putting my misguided views forward.

My take on fitting and removing these blades isn't going to make me any friends with the health and safety mob and I don't recommend it to the ham fisted and careless. (see 'Supatool' at the end).

DISCLAIMER I take no responsibility at all for any self inflicted injuries.

Over 40 years ago I was shown how to do it this way; I must have changed blades a dozen times a day and in all these years have never cut myself or broken a blade.

IMPORTANT! the business end of the holder must have no knocks or nicks that would cause the slot in the blade to hang up.

FITTING

Hold the handle in the left hand firmly, with the locating 'flange' facing you.

Carefully pick the blade up, flat between the fingers, observing the base of the blade angle is in the same direction as the stop on the handle.

Carefully place the wide bit of the slot over the locating 'flange' and slide it along until it stops.

Put the handle flat on a firm surface and hold it there. Using a suitable implement (I use a mini screwdriver) ease the blade to the left, pushing against the left end of the slot until it clicks into place.

REMOVING

Hold the handle firmly as before. The blade has a long notch at the top rear. Place your index finger in that notch and place your thumb against the flat at the bottom and lift that end of the blade and gently slide the blade to the right so it is onto the 'flange'.

Then firmly pull the blade off the handle to the right. Dispose the old blade considerately.

Left handers obviously have the handle to the right with blade to the left.

As with any SHARP thing, keep away from the SHARP bit!

BEWARE These blades are not designed to be used with any side pressure. They WILL SNAP and travel great distance with lethal velocity. NEVER use a cracked blade.

It has been my experience, using pliers of any kind is guaranteed to crack or break the blade at the slot, more often than not.

I use the number 3 and 5 handles with 10a blades. Both my handles are over 30 years old.

You may not be aware; Swann-Morton produce their 'Supatool' range of blades and handles, which are more hobby related. These are a much more substantial heavy duty scalpels. The blade is held between the two halves of the handle which is closed with a screw. There is a much wider range of blade shapes and cutting edges. These blades don't break unless seriously abused and remain sharp for longer.

My suggestion; if the scalpel worries you, go for the 'Supatool', which is made for our kind of work anyway.

Thank you for the information.

I still have over 150 blades to go through with my last set of scalpel blades, but I threw some supatool blades and a handle in my wish list for when I run low.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

By now I've probably changed about 400 of these blades. I simply slip the blade on like Shipman does using just my fingers, but I use a needle-nose pliers to pull it back off after cutting myself ONCE using just my fingers (once bitten, twice shy :D ).

I didn't bother getting one, but I believe Swann-Morton make a special tool for replacing blades. A waste of money IMHO.

Danny

Cheers, Danny