Dremel or Proxxon

Hello, I thought about buying a saw. The work I do will not require cuts of more than 1 cm. thick (scale 1:96 or 1:72 no more). For the space that I have and the budget the options are two: Dremel Moto Saw or Proxxon DS 230. My only doubt regarding the Proxxon is the possibility, or not, of finding blades in the local market, here it is possible to find Dremel blades but in Proxxon. I await your comments to remove the doubt as to which saw to buy.
Thank you very much and greetings.

From my perspective neither.

Dremel made a 4" table saw. It no longer seems to be in their inventory.  I have had one for a long time.

It works.  The design and engineering are average at best.  If you are going to half *** this endeavor.

It might be worth using if you find it cheap enough.

I have a 4" Jarmac.  It is a bit better, but not much.

I have no experience with any Proxxon products.

If you are serious about this and plan to be at it for the long haul:

the Byrnes  table saw is the way to go.  For 3" and 4" inch blades, I doubt a better

designed or built unit can or will ever be offered for sale.  It is a serious machine. 

They are the product of a home business.  Life being what it is, the machine will not always

be available.  I imagine a time in the future, when the resale value of one of these units

would exceed it present cost.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi- I agree that Byrnes is the definite way way to go.........if you can afford it.  I was able to pick up a Dremel saw and it’s pretty adequate under most applications.  I have to say however, that I picked up a bunch of add-ons on eBay for the Dremel.  I upgraded the fence, the cross cut square, the drive belt (cogged) and got a sliding table. All in, I’m about $175.  It’s a lot less than a Bynes Saw.  I would still rather have Jim’s saw.  But I did get Jim’s thickness sander and when I mill wood on the Dremel (slightly oversized) and run it through the sander, I’m pretty happy.  It takes a while to set up for milling.  It’s a trade off of time for money, time I got.

One positive about the Dremel, and I would hang on to it even if I got a Jim Saw, is that it will make angle cuts.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

If you do not want a saw sans attachments Harbor Freight has a 4 inch table saw that will also cut angles for $ 38.00. I have their cutoff saw am going to purchase the table saw and their 4 inch belt and disc sander and there scroll saw.

Granted these are not top of the line tools but for limited budgets there perfect. At some point when my skills improve I would might consider upgrading.

Have never had a problem with Harbor freight. Proxxon and Byrnes are fine tools and have there place but spending that kind of money does not make you a better modeler.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I think you guys have misunderstood the question - he is asking about two different scroll saws - not table saws. I'm not a fan of scroll saws myself and have never used either of these, so I can't offer a very helpful answer. That said, looking at the two online, briefly, I personally would go for the Proxxon. It seems to be more feature-rich than the Dremel and I know Proxxon makes good tools. I shouldn't think finding blades would be that difficult but since the OPs location is unknown, that's only a guess.

Cheers -

John

I tried a scroll saw, first the Unimat attachment version and then a MicroLux Mini.

I do not like the lifting the work effect due to the up-down cutting action.

I got a generic 9" bench top band saw that Micro Mark sold for a while. 

I adapted a Carter Stabilizer guide to it and with a 1/8" blade, it does an excellent

job of scroll cutting.  The cutting action helps hold the work on the table, rather than

vibrating it.  The blade has a set, so I do not cut right up to the line, but I would finish with a

disk or drum sander in any case.  No way to use it for closed inside cuts, not something I

have needed to do, but I have a hand fret saw if I ever do need to do it.

I work at 1:60 scale, which is 4 times your scale on a 3D basis, so you might like the

thinner blades with a scroll saw, but a sander will have a easier time of it at your scale too.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers