Furniture like tables and chairs???

Just guessing here, but I think it would to a certain degree depend on the Captain's finances - a well-off captain would probably provide his own furniture and it would most likely be in the fashion of the day (there should be lots of images on the Net if you do a google search), though unless he was very wealthy, I'd expect it to be a relatively plain version of that style. If he wasn't well-off, the ship's carpenter would probably make it for him and it would be VERY plain.

Steven

Hi Tim;

There was an official 'establishment' for the issue of tables to Royal Navy vessels.  They were issued by the dockyard.  I cannot remember where I saw it,  though.  Don't recall anything about chairs.  Sea chests probably filled the duty much of the time,  especially in the gun-room,  and for at least some of the ward-rooms' inhabitants. 

I remember also seeing pictures of part of a table recovered from a ship-wreck,  but again,  I am afraid I cannot remember much else about it.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 2 weeks later...

I stand corrected, but it's a pleasure to be so. That's really fascinating information, and I suppose after all that furniture would have been regarded as part of a ship's "establishment".

Steven

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim/Steven;

Further to earlier posts,  I am reading Lavery's book 'Nelsons's Navy,  Ships,  Men & Organization',  and he says that the ship's carpenter and his mates were responsible for making the mess tables and benches for the crew,  and the tables and chairs for the gunroom and wardroom.  As this would have been done using government supplied timber,  there would certainly have been an official listing of what they were allowed to make.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Where did I read about a French Ship -think it was French- which upon going into battle would hoist the nicer furniture high aloft into the rigging, to keep it safe from cannon fire and prevent its becoming more splinters in an engagement? Why they wouldn’t strike it into the hold I do not remember. It may have been John Keegan’s book The Price of Admiralty? Anyway I love the thought of including the incongruous furniture in the rigging on a model!

Niagara USS Constitution 

Frankie,

As near as I can tell, the furniture would have went below.  The problem is that many times (usually?), the rigging was targeted to kill a ship's movement and maneuvering.  Also, sending it up would have put it in the way of the crew working aloft.   I suppose that sending them up the mast could have happened but I don't think it's likely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not exactly what you were looking for but, if the Queen were on board your vessel you might expect to see furniture such as this:

http://www.shipmodell.com/index_files/0ROYAL_CAROLINE3.html

I don't believe you'll see finer furnishings on any ship (or dollhouse) model than these!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752