Scottish Maid rigging pt2 - spanker sheets.

gthursby

I'm trying to work out where and how to fit the spanker sheets (I hope that is the correct term ) to the deck of the Scottish Maid. It is very unclear in the kit diagrams. I've looked at the Underhill book (someone gave these to me when I was about 12 and lay untouched for about 50 years!!).

I hope that I've got the terminology correct (I presume that these sheets are to control how much the main boom moves). Underills book shows 2 double blocks that can rotate about the boom but doesn't show where the other blocks are attached to the deck. It's very hard to see on the very low resolution diagram in the Underhill book, but they look as though they are attached to the top of the bulwark, though I would have thought this would be unlikely. Also, where would the end of the rope be belayed? Thanks for any help

smrig3001.jpg

smrig4002.jpg

The tackles with a hook and an eye bolt in the bulwark would not be out of the question,  but the rig pictured looks like it would go afoul of the deck house as shown.

Placing the standing end closer to the transom would make more sense.

The running end would belay to a nearby cleat.

Here is a picture of a contemporary model from the National Maritime Museum..

Sheet.jpg.a69e1c148144696829aa0cc232e071fe.jpg

It appears that a single  tackle is attached to the transom, with lots of rope to allow the boom to travel.

Another configuration would be with a traveler, where the tackle is hooked onto a steel rail that allows it to

' travel ' from side to side.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I'm looking at my build of the Scottish Maid from about 15 years ago which was the first ship model I did.  It's possible the kit has been changed but I'm not sure.  Based upon what I see, there's ample room for the spanker boom tackle as it's secured to the top of the aft bulwark.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for that. I guess that there is no definitive answer and that anything is going to be an educated guess based on knowledge of rigging practices of that era.

Looking at the Model Shipwright pics I was wondering how the bands to which the blocks are attached were made.

Also in MacGregor's plans and the Artesania model there is a binnacle between the steering wheel and the deckhouse that is not shown in the pics. Is it located elsewhere or omitted entirely? I haven't put one in yet as it seems to me that one placed there would impede the entrance to the deckhouse immediately in front of it.

On models such as this, making bands of this type can easily  be made with black card stock.

A little matte varnish and you are good to go.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon