I always end up bending planks latteraly.

This is my third attempt at planking a hull. Let me admit up front, I was raised with a wrench in my hand, not a saw. First I did the Niagara. Trashed the hull. Clinking and like I say, I always have to push the next planks up against the previous. I already got a second keel and bulk heads thanks to model expo. I now have a third hull to ruin. What am I doing wrong? The bluenose is supposed to be easy.

I'm using Lauck's practicum.

latterly.jpg

Stealer.jpg

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Hey Brian, if this is just first planking don't sweat it mate. Just sand, fill, sand again and move on. I guarantee that the second planking layer will be easier as you will have a nice smooth surface on which to lay them, plus the second planking layer is usually made from thinner and much more pliable timber than the first layer. Once you finish your model nobody will ever see or mention this first layer anyway.

Chris

4 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

What am I doing wrong?

It could be any number of things.

1. If you're starting at the keel, shaping the Garboard Strake (the first one that butts to the keel) is very important. It's different for every ship, and especially on bluff bowed ones with rounded hulls (18th century for example). The top edge (furthest from the keel) should be straight, shape the edge that butts against the keel. The forward end of this plank will finish with a sharp point - that's OK. All other planks should be no less than half their width at the narrowest point.

2. Bear in mind that there are virtually NO runs of planks that are a single width for most of their length (depending again on the shape of the hull - older ships have more taper than. say, Clippers). They will need tapering for a LOT more distance than you have been doing so far.

3. Don't attempt to lay a single plank the length of the hull. It's much easier to lay them in the correct scale length - between 20 and 30 scale feet. Kit bulkheads are usually too far apart to be too critical with these lengths, just go to the nearest one or add extra bulkheads or filler blocks in the bow and stern.

4. Start in the middle of the ship for each run. The planks usually don't need much of a taper in the middle, if any. Bend the plank over the top of the one already fitted to gauge how much will need to be removed from the BOTTOM edge until it gets to half-width. A Stealer will need to start from that point. Shape your plank and glue it in. Leave the stealer until you have fitted the next plank.

5. A good trick is to temporarily fit a plank about every 5 or 6 planks apart for the full length of the hull,without laterally bending them. Measure the distance between the TOPS of the planks at each bulkhead to see how much they will have to be tapered at that point. Mark the bulkheads, and divide the measurement by the number of planks to get the width of each one. If you hit the marks when you get that far you will know you're on track.

6. Thicker planks (0.6mm or more) will need to be edge-bevelled as they curve vertically to avoid gaps.

7. Always dry-fit each plank and reshape it until you are satisfied with the fit before reaching for the glue. If it's shaped and bent correctly you hardly need to clamp it other than to hold it flush to the bulkheads until the glue sets. It goes without saying that the bulkheads should be properly Faired before starting any planking.

Take a look at how I did the planking on my Norfolk Sloop to get some ideas. I do a "plank by plank" description in that build log, it won't apply to any other ship but the general method is the same.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

On your home page go to more, then to  articles and databases go to framing and planking. Scroll down several pages and there are some good line drawings showing the lay of the planks to illustrate what Dan relayed.

What was relayed about appearance of first layer is very true its easy to put lipstick on a pig-filler-sanding-and voila a beautiful planked hull.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks, Dan. I'm following Lauck's practicum. This ship is supposed to have very little tapering and shaping and to use full length when I can. Supposed to be only 1 stealer.

I'm starting at the top and working down toward the keel.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Unfortunately, I've read several.

In Dry Dock:

Hi Brian, I know that Hunt's practicum for the Bluenose isn't spot on.  He wrote it, fairly enough, to the new modeler and took a lot of steps out of the build thinking the new modeler wouldn't want or need to do them or go into that much detail.  I too struggled with the planking but once I realized that the hull was painted I didn't sweat the details.  I planked as best as i could then added a bunch of filler to smooth everything out.  I haven't painted yet but once I do I think the hull will look fine.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yeah, I bought this boat because I understood it was an easy build and I want to learn planking specifically for future models.

In Dry Dock:

Dan, I checked out your build. That's an incredible amount of shaping! Glad I don't have to do that.

In Dry Dock:

39 minutes ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Yeah, I bought this boat because I understood it was an easy build and I want to learn planking specifically for future models.

Filler is your friend in this case but you will need to learn to spile planks for future builds. The best lesson I had was to build the hull of the Glad Tidings Pinky by Model Shipways. It has pre-spiled planks and really shows you how the planks are shaped to lay on the hull correctly. They are far from straight. Once you see how they need to be shaped you can carry it on to other models. Also, tick strips are really helpful so your planks don't get too thin at the bow. You'll get it once you see how the planks are shaped.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I have another keel, bulk heads and some hard wood planks. I'll try again in a few days. I really care only about learning to plank so I'll likely toss this one aside. '

All the different opinions and ideas. Eventually I'm not going to do it SOME ONE's way, so please don't be offended if I do it wrong again.

In Dry Dock:

Brian

I am not going to add to the 'Opinions and ideas' as not only is unnecessary but there is no way i am even qualified!

But I have come to the opinion over the years that if there are multiple suggestions on how to do something then there are multiple ways of doing something and that eventually you will come up with the way that WORKS FOR YOU. I am sure you will be able to find YOUR WAY.

I will be watching from the back corner as I do not want to learn any more naughty words than I already know. :huh:

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

58 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I do not want to learn any more naughty words than I already know

Trust me, I tried them all. Even got some new stuff from my WWII sailor friend.

In Dry Dock:

6 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Dan, I checked out your build. That's an incredible amount of shaping! Glad I don't have to do that.

Brian, if you thought the Norfolk Sloop had some tricky plank shaping .... check out the planking on my scratchbuilt HMS Vulture. It only has the one layer, all done in 1mm Castello and the inside was also visible, so I had to get it all right the first time :D. There are too many posts to give you a specific link to one that deals with only the hull planking, but HERE is a start.

Oh and by the way, the 1st planking on my first wooden model wasn't any better than yours. Once the "lightbulb" goes on you'll be OK with every model after. Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it :).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Brian,

I applaude you idea to use a simple model as a training platform.  My first piece of advice is to add alcohol to your toolbox....rubbing alcohol.  (A good 12 year old scotch isn't bad either :cheers: (but I digress).  Alcohol helps soften wood glue and allows you to disassemebly your mistakes, er, ah learning experiences.  I have done alot of that.

I would like to add to Dan's advise.  You will often have to bend planks, such as around the bow or edge bend up or down.  This often requires soaking thee plank and fitting it into place AFTER you have spiled it.  Let it dry in place and refit when dry.  If you glue while wet, it will shrink and cause gaps.:angry:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

What if I live in a state where Mary Jane is legal? May I still consume a bloody mary?

Great advice. I don't understand why I'm having trouble at all, really. According ti Hunt's Lauck practicum, I should need but one stealer, no spiling.

I think I can see it now. I can see how spiling will reduce the urge to push up on a plank and bend it wrong. Can the width of a plank of bass wood be so inconsistent?

In Dry Dock:

Basswood isn't an ideal wood for bending, etc. as it's rather stiff and I found it'll break easily.  I find pear works well.  One of the big keys is use wood with the grain as straight as possible.  And soak the wood well.  I also use an old curling iron to apply heat for bending.  Enough steam and heat and some woods can be tied into knots.  What the others have said applies.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

20 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

Brian, if you thought the Norfolk Sloop had some tricky plank shaping

I've seen ships like that, holy cow! Do you think that many bulkheads makes it easier to fare?

In Dry Dock:

I have another keel and bulkheads from Mofel expo and some hard wood I bought some time ago. I've neen saving it for this keel and I'm anxious to see the differencve.

In Dry Dock:

13 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Do you think that many bulkheads makes it easier to fare?

They're actually called "Frames" Brian, and believe it or not the original ships had this many or more in larger ships. Fairing them is actually easier than doing kit bulkheads a lot further apart :).

Cheers, Danny

16 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

You will often have to bend planks, such as around the bow or edge bend up or down.  This often requires soaking thee plank and fitting it into place AFTER you have spiled it.  Let it dry in place and refit when dry.

Good advice. I actually OVER-bend the planks slightly in certain cases, as it's easier to push the middle of the plank onto the bulkheads (or frames) than the ends.

Cheers, Danny

4 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

as it's easier to push the middle of the plank onto the

Now that I've done:) Not intentionally, but I learned from it.

Anything wrong with soaking and using a soldering iron? My wife straightens her hair.

For what it's worth to anyone else lurking about, I'm bi-polar. Concentration, focus and memory do not exist in my world.

In Dry Dock:

2 hours ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Anything wrong with soaking and using a soldering iron?

That works, but just make sure you don't set it hot enough to burn the wood (if it's adjustable).

Cheers, Danny

I have one that is.

In Dry Dock:

Just looked at the Glad Tidings Pinky. $90. Can't be passed up. That's my next ship. I don't care how many it takes, I'm going to do a hull right. Single plank.

In Dry Dock:

39 minutes ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Just looked at the Glad Tidings Pinky. $90. Can't be passed up. That's my next ship. I don't care how many it takes, I'm going to do a hull right. Single plank.

You'll get it. We have all wasted a couple of hulls, at least I know I have. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I, like you, have been struggling with planking the hull.  In my case, I have 3 hills in various degrees of poorly completed planking.  In my case, I am struggling to wrap my mind around how to do that clear tape thing (hasn't worked yet for me) and how to use proportional dividers.  I hate to scrap a hill that I put a lot of effort into detailing the interior, but I suspect that my ECB shall soon sink into the abyss, to be started once more from the beginning.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I would love to work with pear, have to give it a try someday.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

My daddy didn't raise no quitters. Darn it.

In Dry Dock: