Members:

My wife bought me the Model MS Endeavour from Constructo and even though I am a good wood worker and have been wood on other projects.  What I am trying to bend is a piece of trim that is 12mm x 2mm by about 10 " long.   I have tried boiling the strips and putting them into a press.  I also tried wetting the strips and using a heating element to bend them on a form.   Any Ideas?

Thanks Ed Meyer    edmeyer@north-pt.com

Ed,

Either of those two methods should have worked although the thickness is probably an issue.  They may need more soaking time as you didn't specify soaking time or the wood type.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What a type of wood is it Ed?

I just finished a boat made out of teakwood and Had a heck of a time bending planks I found if I boiled them for 20-30 minutes and then let them sit in the water as it cools a bit the wood started to relax . The window of time was very limited once I pulled the wood from the water to get my bends . Not sure what wood your using but maybe this method will work for you 

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

What species of wood are you trying to bend and what are you using it for?  One thing you might consider doing is laminating two thinner strips of wood as they will be easier to work with.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

With fragile and hard pieces of wood, I've found it easier to soak it - as you did - and then press form it at a smaller extend than the desired, let it dry and rest, then re-soak it and repeat with a steeper angle than the first, until I reached the desired curvature. That was with walnut and cherry pieces of solid wood as well as rosewood, walnut, cherry and oak veneer. Veneer is harder to bend along the grain as it is very brittle and breaks. But this method allowed me to achieve rather small diameter rings.