RKR Varyag by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Slava-class cruiser

Moving forward in the later 20th century, my next build, the Soviet (now Russian Navy) Varyag.

I found this on ebay along with a cruiser and a Chinese set of PE for the Varyag for a hell of a lot cheaper than anywhere in OZ.

You can see from the 1904 version, she got a bit bigger and I think was primarily an aircraft carrier killer.

There are a LOT of photos online for her him and his brothers (Russian ships are boys apparently), and I have as usual ordered up some more extras. The Gold Medal Models PE is just lovely and incredibly detailed.

The hull is very smooth and I will be doing a fair bit of work to etch in some panel lines, scuppers, dents, all to aid in weathering it.

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

Greg

Looking forward to following something a bit different and seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Count me in.  I'm finding these steel navy models fascinating to watch even if my eyes won't let me build one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

cool looking ship Greg........count me in as well!    really nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Greg, another interesting build. I vaguely remember studying this beast because of those missiles, while work for my Uncle Sam. I'm pulling up a chair, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Darn, missed the start and front row seating :o Nice bit a PE ... interesting build too ... not much weathering as far as I can see from the "live" images

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

Darn, missed the start and front row seating :o Nice bit a PE ... interesting build too ... not much weathering as far as I can see from the "live" images

We could pull that bench up that greg keeps outside, sit at the back but hope greg puts some screens up so we can see.;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

10 minutes ago, RGL said:

There will be weathering and some modulation of colour otherwise it will be very boring. 

Dont foreget the bottles of vodka on the deck - that will cheer it up.;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

We could pull that bench up that greg keeps outside, sit at the back but hope greg puts some screens up so we can see.;)

OC.

Thanks I like the big screen addition, as my eyesight does deteriorate !

14 minutes ago, RGL said:

There will be weathering and some modulation of colour otherwise it will be very boring. 

A little weathering ... and in the end it is a heap of rust and chipped paint, ready for the scrap yard

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

believe me Carl........if that's not the correct anti foil paint color........ paint it  ;)    I would!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Main hull joined up and rudder/ shafts and stabilisers added. As you can see there is a massive gap in the deck, it has to be amidships or the gap at the bow or stern would just be messy to fix. It won’t matter or be visible when the deck housings go on.i have also filed off the molded anchor chain (really, is this the 1960’s?). 

I intend to give her multiple layers of primer (after a quick sponge bath with metho to clean her) to I can scribe in hull plates. 

0907D3B9-3B25-4369-B6EC-F085B2B17C85.jpeg

F5E864A2-8363-4563-9608-F967ECD22DDB.jpeg

3F7C40C0-1C88-4D31-8AA9-D9CAF0A8695F.jpeg

Greg

you could probably get away with adding 1/16 or 1/8 strip to one of the deck edges and sand down to fit.  the other problem is those two raised areas....if something is to fit on them,  they are not going to fit very well.  I'm sure that if any of those problems arise......your more than apt to handle them  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well I haven’t posted for a while as I’ve been slowly working on the funnel section which will be one of the 3 main superstructures. 

Like a wooden ship, I’m trying to plan ahead as much as possible but unlike a tall ship, I have to preplan what gets painted in situ or painted off ship then placed on after. 

The Gold Medal Models PE is dated, expensive compared to what comes out of Asia and presumes a LOT of knowledge with PE. That being said it’s lovely and no one else makes it for this kit. 

The plastic Trumpeter pieces are nice enough but just not  Tamiya standard for accuracy and fit. 

After the last 5 days of nightshift I have researched all I could for what extra needs to be done and there is a lot of small  not in the kit or explained by GMM. 

It’s going to be a bastard to paint. 

Anyways, I drilled out all the vents and placed the covers provided by GMM, small railings and ladders that will go into vet the radar thingys. This has been a surprisingly large amount of work with still a lot to go. Railings everywhere and belaying points for cage antanne and big gaps to be filled. 

AFA95AD6-D85A-4B4A-9AEB-08B39C9C768E.jpeg

FC0A2AED-B367-4878-8EFD-1BE2F2329413.jpeg

0D6CE5B5-2137-4EBA-8E7F-0E460EE9DF74.jpeg

45B5F087-7EB8-4206-806E-2BEA2CA5D4D9.jpeg

E0B6A0BF-5516-45C2-B6E4-33DD859454DE.jpeg

6628FCD5-610C-4D7C-AAEC-9B957DFC10E4.jpeg

4EAF886B-88A6-4375-8A6A-643485ED26E5.jpeg

Greg

The garage for the helicopter. I’ve added a few cables than run to the ECm and spotlights out of stretched spruce. There was a molded ladder on top which I’ll replace later. Lots more detail to add to the piece yet but after painting. Someone flew a drone over her in HK earlier this year and posted it on U tube so there is a HD reference which also confirms from the still photos that the Top Done fire controller is very very wrong, requiring some filing and a bit of scratch building and added some doors from spares. 

It also includes some clear pieces which I have seen from other forums are universally hated. 

Off to the front of the bus next. 

Question; does anyone have any clue how to make 1/350 speakers/Pa’s?

F1E6C209-7A1D-4466-AE65-2EE6F35E2B0B.jpeg

4402DA98-92A5-43CF-BAAB-78F71909AF04.jpeg

C1AC59E9-1BB2-4279-B59A-7070BE7E4E9E.jpeg

6B18B7DC-A168-47E8-A46F-F275747D6164.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

The SS-N-12 launchers. The kit provides a little bit of PE that sirlts at this he front which is supposed to be a platform. I used these and added some platforms and railings from the Ise spares. There are also exhaust railings on the side and some offcuts of brass thingys to make up some hinges which are fairly non existent 

891D12F3-ABC7-468F-9F9A-A2522AEEFB9E.jpeg

66D01448-F2FC-4DB2-9F41-DF09806272E4.png

F86D9E51-E357-4304-AED6-3ED2F5264F00.jpeg

315456C6-3544-4E71-828F-08B7C8A8DAE8.jpeg

2D264602-AAF8-4D87-9C4B-1DBD8A0C2488.jpeg

2D729CE8-137C-4F74-8D00-E35A8C2E1AD5.jpeg

CCACD263-8101-4932-AA46-CDE5F7C9EB98.jpeg

Greg

The last main superstructure, this clear stuff is such a pain, you cannot see gaps, so after I glued it I used some Mr Surfacer on the edges to see where the gaps where. I sanded in the small box es and used some plastic strip on the big ones. 

There is a LOT of small details to add to this. I found some speakers in 1/350 (coming from France) and have ordered some Accupuncture needles to uses as the multiple whip aerials. Apart from the GMM set there are a lot of cables and handholds to add all over. 

Dry fit;

6EBCE7ED-E747-46C3-9AC8-D21B47BD6377.jpeg

430AA855-9F50-4613-B252-D75C4A39902E.jpeg

Greg