RKR Varyag by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Slava-class cruiser

So, while waiting for the postman to bring my AK Blue Filter, I masked and then gave the superstructures 3 shades of grey.  No sooner had I finished then Australia Post arrived so I could add the blue filter, which a) brings out the modulation and a) makes it NOT look like another IJN ship on my shelf. 

All thown togeather in a dry fit it should eventually come up ok. 

That is the bulk work done, now the small work which means I’m 50% done. 

You may notice the filthy great gap in the deck will be concealed. 

07A2255E-5538-489D-9CDD-96801C448CF4.jpeg

8CB123F9-AA89-47A6-AE13-AA90EC2FD535.jpeg

B956C50F-7CAC-4773-8406-09FF8DE8D625.jpeg

6FA14A1E-2B35-44B5-86F4-96886A427CD0.jpeg

2656FEFC-A854-4B0A-8825-9FF34446DD64.jpeg

D248A0B0-15D4-4DE7-AD2D-0E6E1F604771.jpeg

Greg

Quite a colourful one for a warship ... she wouldn't resemble an IJN overly, but in the end most look a like, especially from a distance. It's as if those manufacturers have been looking to much at modern car development ...

She starts to look like a ship Greg. Nice going. I am, though, curious to the effect of your AK blue filter

Cheers ... hope you keep a steady hand after your beer consumption.

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

looks awesome Greg.........I love to see dry fits like this  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice progress Greg, he is looking great with it nice new coat of paint :)  Thanks for your kind words, but I think I will turn to you for airbrush advice now you are way ahead of me in technique these days.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Not what I would call a pretty ship.  Not the classic lines of a battle wagon or cruiser but she/he looks deadly.  I'd hate to be on the receiving end of those missiles.   Looks very good from here, Greg.  I'm looking forward to this all coming together.  Just curious... what is AK Blue Filter?  Googling it has me confused.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To answer your question Mr Taylor, it is pretty much used by armour modellers, and does need a fair bit of dilution but it deepens the colours and adds depth. 

If you go to U-Tube, and search Varyag or brother Moskva there is footage of both of them letting loose with all they have, in a way more awesome than any broadside in the sheer destruction over distance he carries. 

158A9392-583B-4A00-BAD0-C1FEF6521342.png

4604C771-4452-4A00-AD86-0A847D2EC1BA.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

The lower hull is now weathered, I’m yet to add a few bits of rust here and there, but a light overspray of grey grunge, with dilute black on the bottom over that and a ring or green Alge around the sides. I just feel it looks less like a toy (which it is really I can just afford to spend more on one) and more like a replica. 

2CF0ED78-3A3A-4BA3-927C-0AC882F721B5.jpeg

FED4DB0F-0C61-4FD1-A9DC-4E7C19ECEEE2.jpeg

Greg

Thanks Greg.  I hope I wasn't insulting but this ship is something else... pure, lean, and mean.   

Oh.. and call me Mark.  Mr.Taylor is my father. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Oh.. and call me Mark.  Mr.Taylor is my father. ;)

Greg it makes him feel rather old, and maybe he has some youth issues with the connotation ;)

... and I get bored easily

Ah, now I see why you build the entire Japanese navy :D

Carl

Plodding along, lots of little pieces to put together and paint. 

The life raft capsules sizes are supposed to slot into the deck but the real thing has them on racks  with black straps. Sprayed them white, have them a wash and added some denier thread as the black straps. 

BEEAC61F-FCF1-4474-8CFD-0935FAE5ACD5.jpeg

022A61D7-B768-4FD0-B93C-1C12A2669BBE.jpeg

180128FF-616A-4156-B6B1-687F69EF11EF.jpeg

Greg

So today I also did the anchor chains (the kit gives you a rubbish molded one, painted all the little bits that go around the superstructures that I have to add to it before I can throw it together. 

They’ll all need a black wash and a lighter dry brush before being added. As an example, the little grey thimbles are 1/350 PA’s from LArsenal in France. The real ship is covered in them like a teenagers pimples. 

C742A411-20D8-4DBF-8C4B-5CC6EE794E1D.jpeg

A3171F2F-EDD7-4C5D-B81F-5F8B93328905.jpeg

Greg

so many tiny parts.........quite an assembly line you have there ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

All nice detail and should look great on the model on the model Greg; slow but good progress.

cheers

Pat

Apart from a pedestal that will belay part of the cage arial assembly (in the centre of the circle of railing), I’m pretty much finished this bit. I will paint the whip arials black (they are acupuncture needes) and rust her up a tad. 

The two black blobs immediatly in front in front of the stacks are great big fenders. In the drone footage from 2017 in Hong Kong they are visible I’ll grunge tho area up a bit yet. 

The little platforms on each each side with the target rings are the same as the real thing and I used spares glued onto pedestals.

50C10520-1E9C-4107-92D2-CE3B90DE65F7.jpeg

D0B8D478-2676-465C-A9A1-4D7E027E68D0.jpeg

53F42B5F-FDB6-4390-A58A-55B2B89427D3.jpeg

EBE1430D-D7FB-4D01-B7AF-544C09D6688A.jpeg

0C93EBB2-F8CD-4A21-95DB-06FC0A79D3A8.jpeg

3A6BE4EC-7029-4055-9B27-9CB64448E0B0.jpeg

Greg

there's always the touch ups at the end of the project.......results this good tell us you've got plans for those mere paint chips ;)   this structure is no different....such superb workmanship  :)   the PE additions really detail the structure and accents the molded detail you decided to leave.  your log is a joy to watch  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

21 hours ago, RGL said:

The thing about PE railing is no matter how well it’s primed, the paint chips off.

Someone wrote that he blackend the PE before painting, which made the pimer stick much better ... I haven't tried it yet, but will

Carl

That is  one very fine looking model Greg, the paintwork effects are very realistic.  if you placed a sea/sky background behind it it would be hard to tell the difference to the real thing.

cheers

Pat

Very nice detail Greag and a good job on 'bashing' the very ordinary items into very presentable details.

cheers

Pat

looks awesome Greg!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The main superstructure was glued down today. There is a heap of aftermarket to go on this, a radar, rocket launchers, CiWs and probably about 10 whip arials (as they are acupuncture needles they need to go on after also I don’t put them through my hand). 

I’ve grunged it up a bit and tried to dry fit the 16 rocket canisters on the side which should fit flush to the hull but they don’t. Meh. 

BB2F6B4A-803C-414D-A81A-F2EA4A526484.jpeg

CE1218CA-BDE8-4710-87EB-140F7E53A441.jpeg

F83CB3D2-7A21-4C4C-AEE8-AFD78AB9F110.jpeg

Greg