RKR Varyag by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Slava-class cruiser

great progress Greg......she's look'in sweet!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Greg, he is looking great and will look even better once you add the additional detail.

A small observation, unless you plan further weathering of the decks, the forepart deck looks a little more weathered (rust) than the rest of the decks (red)? If the soviet sailors  maintained the red painted decks to such a degree, surely they would have maintained the foredeck also?

That said, your airbrushing techniques are excellent and I may need to take a few lessons from you :)

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

It is very red isn’t it, almost orange! I won’t grunge up the rest of the decks until all the details are added, (there’s a lot to go), and then I’ll probably use pastels. The upper hull has not been touched yet as I wanted to add the frames that’s hold the SS19’s as they have scuppers on the real thing (which I have added) and the railings as well so I know where the rust and grunge streaks will orintate themselves on the hull. 

I think Soviet propaganda would not allow photos of dirty ships, and this beast is circa mid 70’s. HD photos of him these days show a lot of sins covered by paint. 

Greg

I read in an online forum the other day how those who make models tanks and model planes are better modellers. I’m calling BS as they have a) never made a tall ship and (b) work in much bigger scales. 

There is a LOT of aftermarket for both air and land, and an increasing amount for sea. The plastic blobs can only be beaten up so much to look real. 

The main gun, the CIWS (think Darleks from Dr Who, see if you can pick the kit provided one) anti submarine rockets and the kit screech fire control radar are all available in aftermarket.  

Greg

Yeah, the aftermarket products available are superb. That AK-130 main gun looks like it could actually fire. And your use of these parts is outstanding, Greg.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

these parts are small to begin with.........what you've done is amazing!   superb job in every way!  :o   I hope your taking breaks to keep from getting eye strain.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

9 hours ago, RGL said:

I read in an online forum the other day how those who make models tanks and model planes are better modellers. I’m calling BS as they have a) never made a tall ship and (b) work in much bigger scales. 

There is a LOT of aftermarket for both air and land, and an increasing amount for sea. The plastic blobs can only be beaten up so much to look real. 

The main gun, the CIWS (think Darleks from Dr Who, see if you can pick the kit provided one) anti submarine rockets and the kit screech fire control radar are all available in aftermarket.  

An old friend used to say: "a man can make his mouth say anything he wants it to say." When you see or hear outlandish claims, just remember that old saying.

The life rafts and fire controllers added, the only railings to go plate on the sides. The SS-N-19’s are added, the numbers are very stark and will have a coat of matte varnish before weathering. 

The final bits have been primed and will need a few days to get ready. 

A76031F1-3229-4D76-99B0-C63D24226D7E.jpeg

909138E6-CFF3-4480-9499-F47BD74EAC84.jpeg

DACAD8E5-995A-4B94-B761-B21F53D8EEC8.jpeg

DB549124-5B8C-4EBD-AFE0-2C8DC927DCCA.jpeg

Greg

That is gorgeous model. I'd initially liked your IJN models more, but this one has grown on me; the pic from the bow is especially striking. 

Alan

7 hours ago, CDW said:

Very realistic.  Beautiful model.

I noticed you don't have your IJN ISE listed in your completed builds. An oversight or ?

Just never got around to it. The bloke I’ve learnt a lot from has just posted photos of a DDG in completed models, he is an awesome modeller. 

Greg

17 minutes ago, RGL said:

Just never got around to it. The bloke I’ve learnt a lot from has just posted photos of a DDG in completed models, he is an awesome modeller. 

So are you greg:)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Greg, I have been away for a few days and get back to find all this amazing detail you have added.  That is a really good job you have done with just the right amount of weathering (for my tastes).  I would not be looking elsewhere, I think you can rank yourself among the best with your abilities in this genre.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
typo

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Railings are on. I painted the actual “wire” parts black, but it reminds me why I like individual stanchions. A quick run around with some matte varnish next to cover any shiny glue spots then finally some weathering. 

That will I’ll just leave the cage arials, the boys and helicopter. 

8C772E76-9E52-43EE-AD3E-E38B6E093823.jpeg

795AA554-1937-43C2-9B0D-687D8779DE89.jpeg

67F355CA-5B45-49D1-8487-7A0E5535905E.jpeg

923414C9-21A7-4FA2-B505-B6DFB6A1887D.jpeg

Greg

4 hours ago, Dubz said:

I really like what you do ... and it is your fault I temporary changed to the plastic side ... haha.

cheers,

Dirk

Me too.  I must  finish my Syren and Triton, but the temptation to purchase a plastic kit now is almost overwhelming......  lol

Impressive job Greg......I think this one is more involved than the IJN Ise........between the paint work and etch !   so much added detail........yepper!  you rank right up there with the best of 'em ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Much to the dismay of Banyan, I have done a bit of weathering. Salt, rust, grunge, some light pastels. You can just see the anchors which are resin aftermarket for Japanese ships, with the stock cut half way down the shaft, the kit provided blob was just horrible. The chains and stoppers were replaced, the hawser holes drilled out and rusted chains added to the tops of aftermarket anchor stocks jutting out of the holes. Getting there. 

5373CF80-7B0B-4D45-8A26-E9D29696880A.jpeg

44D21DFF-F91C-442E-89E8-E316973EE1A8.jpeg

3DF0D031-61D8-450B-B80B-113B8330F014.jpeg

956E6583-DB98-4399-B887-A27E7EDFE883.jpeg

E02D64D2-619A-4C79-8578-71F1F3440673.jpeg

B46FE0B8-AA1E-4618-875E-338998F146BD.jpeg

Greg