Damaged Model

David Lester

Hi All,

In my Rattlesnake Revisited post I referred to a model that I was given on the weekend that is in a sorry state of repair. 

I don't know what ship this is, or even if it's a specific ship or just a generic representation. This model would be about 50-60 years old and appears to me to be scratch built. It has a sold hull.

My limited knowledge would suggest to me that it's a brigantine and perhaps an American privateer, but I may be wrong. It has either 14 guns or 16 if you count the two stern ports. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be. 

Some pictures below, dust and all.

Many thanks in advance for any input.

model1.jpg

model4.jpg

model2.jpg

model3.jpg

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Thanks for the input guys! I'll do some more checking out on-line with your comments in mind. I notice that the bowsprit is square - is that an indication of anything?

I cleaned some of the dust from the deck and took a good look at it. It isn't planked; it's a solid surface and he's very nicely painted or drawn the caulking lines on. I think it's going to look great. There are no ratlines - do you thing that's intentional, or simply unfinished?

Thanks again,

David

model5.jpg

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Things that look strange to my eye:

No windlass

Cathead looks too small

No cradle the boom jaws on the main

No lower boom on the fore if it was a schooner

If it was brig rigged on the fore, width of the lowest yard does not look wide enough for a mainsail 

more like a spreader for the fore topsail

The bowsprit being square outboard - I am surprised how unattractive that looks tome.

The jibboom looks under size

The lack of ratlines

There is a significant drag, I would have mounted it with the waterline horizontal.

My money is on this being a decorative model, rather than an historical presentation.

Being heretical here:  because this is not a visitor from the early 1800's - I would go wild with the repairs,

and pick a close vessel from about 1812 and upgrade it to match.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

This is an American topsail schooner, early 19th century. It is probably meant to be a War of 1812 privateer schooner or something similar. It is most likely a solid hull model. It might be an early solid wood hull kit, depending on the size and scale. Maybe Marine Models, AJ Fisher etc.

Russ

Thanks for all the input everyone. Russ, I think that your suggestion that this is an American topsail schooner is dead-on. I've since searched American topsail schooners and all the pictures I could find, especially of the specific rigging, confirm it. Your suggestion about Marine Model Co and AJ Fisher. was also quite helpful. I now believe that what I have is Marine Model's 'Virginia Privateer' kit #1083. There's very little information about Marine Models out there, but I did find where someone is offering on ebay a partially built vintage Virginia privateer and it is almost certainly the same model as I have. So, I'm very happy to now be armed with this information and know that I will be able to find the resources I need to restore the rigging more-or-less correctly.

Thanks again,

David

David:

If you look at the Model Shipways Dapper Tom rigging plan, it will probably be very similar to what you have. The AJ Fisher Lynx privateer rigging plan is also probably very similar.

Russ

David....My personal experience in taking on a couple of restorations in very similar condition, they can be a lot of fun, particularly if you know the history behind them.  Don't know if you can trace the history back to the builder in this case, but it was quite interesting to know who the builder was and when it was built.
My last restoration was the "Half Moon" and the original builder lived in Italy.  Seriously damaged when the family tried to ship it to a personal friend, and did a very poor job of protecting is in the way it was packaged.
Best of luck with this one.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave,

I'm really looking forward to working on this project. Its history means quite a bit to me. It was made by the father of one of my best friends and he used to show and explain his many ship models to me when I visited their house as a kid. It's really what got me interested in the first place, although the bug lay dormant in me for many years. My friend tells me that this particular model was his dad's first model and he remembered that it "came in a box" whereas all of his subsequent models were scratch built. This one has to be over 50 years old.

I think it's important to limit repairs to only those necessary and not make gratuitous changes or "improvements" which will detract from the integrity of the model. The challenge will be to identify the fine line separating the two and stay on the right side of it. 

Again, thanks all for input and advice.

David

I have the plans for Marine Models' Virginia Privateer, both the single sheet blueprint revised in 1957 from the 1937 original and the more recent blue line print with some additional details added in 1964, and can make them available.  Send me a private message if you're interested.

Bill