USS Constitution by Tom Schongar - Model Shipways

First build. Ordered all the paint and tools i need to start this build. I also ordered the cd`s for building the ship and doing the rigging. I built my ship stand, and a little piece of plywood to hold mini vise and a universal vise for small parts. i just spin the piece of wood around on the bench and clamp it down to use what ever side i need. Also bought a magnifier light/ lens. Got a mini anvil also. I usually build rc aircraft so i have a full selection of woodworking tools in my shop. Plus a sherline mill if i need it. This should be a fun project. I have read a lot of the post from other guys building this ship. Nice to know there`s help out there if you need it. I built the revell plastic model for my parents back in 1978. It took a year but it came out great. I`ve been wanting to build this ship for a long time but life gets in the way of your plans sometimes,lol. Now I have time to do it.

More to come! 6 compartment tray bought at harbor freight, and they have plastic small part boxes that have 24 indivigual boxes inside with lids. Great for all the small parts to keep them seperated. you will need 2 of these.  White building board is melamine workbench top 19 x 48 x 1`` thick for home depot. fits on my desk.

2017-11-07 15.16.34.jpg

2017-11-07 15.16.59.jpg

2017-11-07 15.17.11.jpg

2017-11-07 15.17.18.jpg

2017-11-07 15.17.24.jpg

2017-11-07 15.17.32.jpg

2017-11-07 15.19.01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I started my build yesterday. I removed and sanded all the keel parts. Then glued the 2 halves together, using 2 1/ drill bits as guides. TIP: Buy a box of med binder clips from office depot or where ever. Box of 144. You will need them. lol After glue dried overnight, this morning I sanded all the edges smooth, and test fitted the lower keel parts to the 3 main keel parts, getting them to fit properly. I used a 2 ft steel straight edge to check alignment. I them made card stock templates, as per plan. Marked reference lines, bearding line,and lower notch lines. Also marked where bulkheads will go. Next is epoxying the parts together,and adding 3/32 pieces of ply at joint lines to strengthen them on both sides.So far so good! 

conny frame.jpg

Edited by Tom Schongar
spelling error

I'm pulling up a chair!  Welcome to the Connie Club.  I just started my build in Oct.    There are several great builds of Connie currently going on.  Check them out.  Some great information, ideas out there!!!

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

Well i finished sanding the rabbits on both sides,and fitted and glued on the lower keel pieces. So far ,so good. Cutting the rabbits were a point of concern with me because i didn`t want to screw it up. I found by drawing the lines on the sides and bottom ,then use a 1`` wide by 6`` long hardwood stick,with 100 grit paper rubber cemented on it ,i could sand the bevel to almost the line then go the length of the keel to get it perfect. Took about 1 hour per side.Next is tapering the stem post and stern post.

• 2 weeks later...

Delay in posting this week. Busy at work. I finally got around to sanding the slots in the keel and the bulkheads, so they slide together with a firm grip. Not tight, not loose. They all sit square with the keel. Next is glueing them in and making sure everyone of them is in the correct spot, and fair with the rest of the bulkheads. Iam going to add bracing between all bulkheads to keep them from rackng when i sand the bulkhead to the final form. I dont want any to break. Will try and get pics. My phone is no good, have to use laptop to take pic.

keelandbulkheads1.jpg

WIN_20171210_21_00_30_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171210_21_00_59_Pro.jpg

Edited by Tom Schongar
added pics

I'm actually building The Black Pearl for my wife.  When I told her I was wanting to get back into this hobby that's what she really wanted.  I wanted to do the Constitution.  So, in order to make her happy I agreed to do The Pearl first.  I know the Connie will take a bit longer.

Art

Current build: "The Black Pearl" in 1:50. 

On the shelf: USS Constitution by Model Shipways (MS2040)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the bow and stern blocks, fitted the rudder,and have half of the stem rails in place. boy, this is a tricky area to build. pieces are drawn on the plan are one size , but you need to trim the upright  posts,1-5 to fit the piece that`s even with the gun deck. then sand the parts flush, and the tops should be 1/16`` wide at the top. Take your time and visualize how it should look Then sand it to shape. I have about 5 hrs into one side. looks good so far.

Just discovered your build log. I look forward to following your progress as I am a few months behind you.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Hi Tom,

I did the same on my Constitution build, and it truly makes for a much more stable frame, and I would not want to try and fair without the braces.  It took me a couple of days to brace mine, using a pair of calipers to try and get it all exactly spot-on.  Looking forward to your progress and will be following.

Matt

Transom almost complete. Just have to sand off some filler. You have to use a digital caliper to get the measurements correct. It took me about 3 hrs to get this part of the ship done. Complicated , but it came out perfect.  Take your time and double check your measurements, and make an angle guage for the end frames 3.

I got this cool little vacuum from my son-in-law for Christmas. It plugs in the computer usb port. Works great for getting the sawdust off the ship, and desk,lol.

IMG_20180107_201937.jpg

IMG_20180107_202051 (1).jpg

IMG_20180107_202051.jpg

IMG_20180107_202107.jpg

IMG_20180107_202148.jpg

Started on waterways today. Cut bevels and cut miter joints for stern section. Took about 2 hrs to get the first one cut and shaped, and 1 hr for the other side. When on a roll , stay with it. Have port side waterway glued on,and transom piece glued on. Will post pics after i get the other side done and the stem sections of the waterway in. Still have to cut them out.

update: waterways and planksheer are done. Inner bulwarks on both sides almost done. 1 more plank to go on each side. Bowsprit is fitted to stem.  Sorry aout pics, have to use laptop camera. 

WIN_20180128_18_03_03_Pro.jpg

Edited by Tom Schongar
add pics

• 3 weeks later...