USS Constitution by Tom Schongar - Model Shipways

Nice start. I have this kit in the closet but can't get up the nerve to open the box yet. To me Constitution will be my ultimate kit build. She has a big place in my heart as I spent many hours aboard as a kid and have had a fascination with her ever since.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Looking good, Tom. You are powering ahead. Just a minor point, but looking at your second picture, I'm wondering if your transom extensions aren't set a little high. Check out Sheet 2, up at the top of the page (Detail 2-H). 

O'course, I could be wrong ...

(Which would go a long way towards explaining all my re-dos)

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More progress on the gun ports, and some pics of rope making machine and other pics of our trip to san fransico last week. We visited the maritime museum  at Fishermans Wharf. Hope you can use some refernce material on what real fittings look like. Very cool place. Plus pic of old ship.

IMG_0234 (1).JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0219 (1).MOV

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0213 (1).JPG

IMG_0214.MOV

IMG_0216 (1).JPG

IMG_0217 (1).MOV

IMG_0218 (1).JPG

IMG_0229 (1).JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0236 (1).JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0255 (1).JPG

IMG_0257 (1).JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rear gun ports done. Sanded the whole ship with 1500 grit, and applied sanding sealer. Tommorrow will sand again, one more coat of sealer, then sand again.  Next week i start on the deck. Plus i bought all the rivets to do the bulwarks. Boy that should be fun. 3000 pieces that you can`t see or pick up , drill hole for each on in the right spot, lol.Good thing i have a lighted magnifier and tweezers. 

I decided to do the rivets next, instead of the hatches and deck planking. There is more room to work on drilling all those tiny holes with a #77 bit. I did about 50 so far, not perfect , but hey, you cant see them damn things they`re so small. lol. getting better as i go, the hard part is not having the rivet fall out of the tweezers. If that happens it`s gone forever.  TIP:  put down a white cloth under the boat and roll the edges to make a ridge so the rivets won`t get lost because you will drop them.

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressive. I too am planning to add bulwark "rivets" But as small as these plastic rivets are, to my eyes (and I use that term lightly as I am blind as a bat without my trifocals), they still seem too large for the scale, especially the height above the surface. I have yet to reach the point in my build where I need to install them so I haven't done any experimentation with various methods I've seen. It may very well be I'll end up doing exactly as you did. If so, I hope to attain the beautiful craftsmanship you achieved.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

I can`t see either,lol. i took my glasses of to do these. Only did one section a night. The rivets are big on the real ship. Should look ok when painted. The ouside ones will be much easier to do. I wanted to get the rivets done before any deck work, masts etc, more room to work, less chance of breaking stuff.