michaelpsutton2

Latest pieces off my drawing board

Brilliant. There’s lots to to love about these. I especially like the scale rigging. Beautifully subtle. This is often overdone in art, as in many models.

Grant

With regard to the rigging... I use Steel, Edye, Kipping, Fincham, and Lee to calculate the size and then my Leroy/Rapidograph drafting pens come in sizes 4x0 to 5. Manny, many years ago (think decades) the late genius Donald McNarry cautioned me to always round down to the next lower appropriate pen size to avoid it getting too heavy. He said that in my case the ink creeps and wicks just a little and in his case as he was making rigging from twisted, painted wire allowances had to be allowed for the additional thickness provided by the paint. And in this as in so many other matters he was absolutely right. Hilariously though on the first drawing after that, I failed to realize that the pen specs were widths (think diameter) and the figures on all of my primary sources was circumference. So my rigging was 3.14159265359... (Pi) times as thick as they should have been. I saw that something was wrong and sent Mr McNarry a picture. Now remember this was in the 1970's so the whole conversation was proceeding between the southern United States and, I believe somewhere in Cornwales via snail mail. It took not days or weeks but months. In due course I rec'd one of those light blue air mail enclosures made of tissue paper which could be folded up into it's own envelope. How many people still can recall those! Anyway all it said was "My goodness. Something has certainly gone off. You might recheck your numbers." Bright and early the following Tuesday, the trash guy picked up that drawing along with all of the other household rubbish of the week. The tragedy was that it was a commission with a hard and fast deadline.

This is fantastic! Never saw anything similar! The shades, accuracy, everything is perfect. True museum quality!

Or maybe team up with Greg to illustrate his upcoming Speedwell book

Ok, dreams dreams :)

Edited by Mike Y

It looks like a lot but in reality you only have to make the next little line. Just like a model you don't get to far ahead ofyourself. My father wh o did a certain amount of deep water sailing once told me that out on the ocean you steer towards a star on the horizon, but watch the next wave carefully. You only worry about the next plank and in the end there it is.

Beautiful work! I love them! I also love my LEROY and other brand Rapidograph pens. There is nothing that produces the "snap" of a line like good old India Ink. I tried those Micron fiber-tipped technical pens once and they couldn't come even close.

What mediums are you using for color and shading? 

My beloved is a paper crafter and we share a studio. In the wee hours of the night when she is safely tucked away I sneak into the studio and use her  "Copic" markers. They are available in warm neutral, and cool gray. Each in a darkness range from 00 to 7. Each marker has a fine and broad point. They even have a couple of gray felt tip pens I can use to make fine drop shadows behind the rigging. They are blendable but if you muck about to much they will pick up and blur the ink. They definitely attack acrylic paint. By the way  I do use Leroy, Rapidograph etc. I learned how to use them half a century ago when I was a cartographer and drew maps in the oilfield. Computers put me out of that business in the early 80's.

IMG_1071.jpg

Beautiful ship renderings and the use of the moderate drop shadow was a very good idea, it lifts them off the page, and makes them look like super-sophisticated half hull models.