Jet or Dewalt scroll saw

Hi All,

I’m on the market for a scroll saw. My inclination was for a Excalibur but they are no longer available. My question to you fine gentlemans is: is the new Jet scroll saw (http://www.jettools.com/us/en/new-products-and-offers/new-products/scroll-saw/) worth the extra $500?in the last toon to the Dewalt (http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/saws/scroll-saws/20-variablespeed-scroll-saw/dw788). Christmas is coming so now is the perfect time to convince the Admiral that I need another machine...

Thanks in advance

Edited by Anguirel

I don’t see how there could be $500 worth of difference between these two saws. Personally I would get the Dewalt and use the $500 towards a Mini Milling machine. You could explain to the Admiral how you saved money by getting two pieces of equipment for the price of one.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I agree with Jim. I've never used either of those. I was really spoiled when I got a Hegner. Awesome (and expensive but after twenty years it's still perfect).....Milo

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I've used an almost vibration-free DeWalt 778 successfully for 15 years. (Sorry, Brian!) I'm very happy with its performance. It is a variable speed machine. It's not clear whether the Jet offers this very useful feature. Foe instance, one can cut acrylic successfully at very slow speed without melting the plastic to the blade.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I also use a Hegner, free of vibration...

It excels at cutting thick hardwood up to 1 inch in straight line and at exactly 90 degrees.

It is also very good at cutting very thin slices of wood few millimeters thick.

For jobs thinner than 3/32, it does a similar job as a less expensive saw.

In the USA, the DeWalt 778 has an excellent reputation.  It is the choice of the scrollsaw artist Steve Garrison

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYhLxb3n4JeuZrrgejr8cWw

To minimize vibration, I placed my cheapo Ryobi on vibration dampeners made by sandwiching a layer of cork between two layers of carpet padding. 

Brian; when i first mounted my Hegner on a bench there was vibration. I added a 2x4 (vertically) under the bench directly below the Heg.  No more vibration.  When I had a shop with more space I had it on a Hegner base and it was awesome.....Milo/Allan 

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, probablynot said:

What can I spend it on???

I seem to recall flowers for the wife was a suggestion!!!!!!!!!

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a Dewalt machine for years and in my opinion is the very best out there for the price. I outperforms saws that cost 2-3 times as much. The only comparable machine I have found is the Excalibur. It vibrates slightly less than the Dewalt but not $1000 worth. Every other machine I have tried vibrates more than I like. You just can't go wrong with this saw. Best feature in my opinion is the lifting arm. If you are scrolling a piece that has a lot of cutouts, you have to drill holes to make a place to start your cut. On a normal saw you have to take the blade out, feed it through the hole and then reconnect both ends of the blade. On the Dewalt you just loosen the top blade holder and lift the arm. Then the blade is sitting by itself and you can thread it through the next hole. Saves a ton of time and frustration. They have an optional attachment that uses a foot petal, to keep both hands free. (Well worth the money if you do lots of scroll sawing). You can do very accurate sawing with the Dewalt, but like any machine it requires good quality blades and a little practice. I use spiral blades most of the time, but takes some practice to make a straight cut. Advantage to these blades is that you don't have to turn the work piece, because they saw in every direction.

• 1 month later...

I have the Dewalt and love it.  One tip is to look at Craigslist (how I found mine).  Many barely used scroll saws on there because dad’s and others use it once or twice for school projects for kids, then never use them again.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 year later...

The DeWalt scroll saw used to be good.  When it was made in Canada.  Then they moved the manufacturing to Taiwan and the quality slipped badly.  I know because I had to order FOUR of them for my father (we had to return the first 3) before he got one that was manufactured correctly.   These were not small problems either.  Two of them had tables where the mounting holes were drilled so far off that table was mounted so that the blade hit the side of the hole in the table and there was no way to adjust it.  At least now, the newer one has an adjustment for that to cover up the manufacturing problems.  The DeWalt USA rep admitted there had been problems for months and he had 7 of them sitting in his office that had manufacturing defects.  Then, a year or two later, they moved the manufacturing again... to China.  Now these saws are complete junk and made poorly.   Get the Jet 22 inch or the Pegas 21 inch, or possibly the Excelsior (made by the former maker of Excalbur) all made in the same factory in Taiwan.  Any of these are light years ahead of the DeWalt.   They also have a blade plumb adjustment to change the aggressiveness of the cut, which  the DeWalt does not have.  Of course, the Hegner is good as well.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:13 PM, JB1 said:

The DeWalt scroll saw used to be good.  When it was made in Canada.  Then they moved the manufacturing to Taiwan and the quality slipped badly.  I know because I had to order FOUR of them for my father (we had to return the first 3) before he got one that was manufactured correctly.   These were not small problems either.  Two of them had tables where the mounting holes were drilled so far off that table was mounted so that the blade hit the side of the hole in the table and there was no way to adjust it.  At least now, the newer one has an adjustment for that to cover up the manufacturing problems.  The DeWalt USA rep admitted there had been problems for months and he had 7 of them sitting in his office that had manufacturing defects.  Then, a year or two later, they moved the manufacturing again... to China.  Now these saws are complete junk and made poorly.   Get the Jet 22 inch or the Pegas 21 inch, or possibly the Excelsior (made by the former maker of Excalbur) all made in the same factory in Taiwan.  Any of these are light years ahead of the DeWalt.   They also have a blade plumb adjustment to change the aggressiveness of the cut, which  the DeWalt does not have.  Of course, the Hegner is good as well.

It's sad to read this.  

On 1/15/2018 at 4:30 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

I have the Dewalt and love it.  One tip is to look at Craigslist (how I found mine).  Many barely used scroll saws on there because dad’s and others use it once or twice for school projects for kids, then never use them again.

I've never been a Craigslist type of guy, but as I prepare to get around to thinking about planning my next project I know my Dremel bolt=to=the=table scroll saw just won't cut the mustard.  With the credo "go with quality" as is often espoused here and with this post in mind, I set my sights on Craigslist with the idea of getting a reasonably priced DeWalt.  Patience paid off.

In addition to many "one project and sold" saws on the market, I saw many "husband bought this many years ago and no longer needs it" saws.  In this category I am sure there were many older models that used to be good but are now made overseas. 

As I said, patience paid off.  I paid more than I planned for a used DeWalt...but FAR less that I would have for a Hegner.  :cheers:

Thanks for the tip.   I recommend to all.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Several of my tools were purchased on Craigslist, and I recommend that you research the tool before going to look. Know how it operates, and see if there are particular problems in using or breakdowns.  Find out if parts are available. Never pay more than 50-66% of original price unless it is pristine. Look at the seller's place - are other things in order?