Looking for galley stack /chimney /funnel / ventilator / flue fitting

Hi everyone I am wondering if someone knows the best place to get a brass or any metal galley chimney /stack / flue / ventilator / funnel that I can add to my little revenue cutter. Stack should be like 3/4" length tops at 1/64 scale. Havent seen too many of themthey seem surprisingly hard to come by so maybe one of you knows a decent company or version that may have them. I already checked corwall uk. Closest Ive seen is this one below. :)

Charlie

untitled.png

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

I have not seen one of that shape during my searches Charlie; I wish you luck.

Have you considered making one?  Seems like a bit of suitably sized brass tube cut cleanly at 45 degrees then soldered to form the 90-degree angle would make the main part.  Simply find some conical shape in any material/medium, drill out and slide over the base - paint it black and hey presto :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Ooof yeah that might be an alternative however my skill in metal work is ziltch. Especially for something so small however if no suitable brass parts are out there (figured someone might know on here) well I might very well give it a go from scratch. Its the fact that it tapers toward the end that feels challenging. :)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Hi Charlie

You might try using a straight tube of K&S brass, (Or solid rod if you prefer). Cut a piece somewhat longer than you will need and chuck it into a Dremel, drill, or what ever you use and file the taper on the end. K&S tubing has fairly thick walls. When you get the taper you want cut a notch at the bending location and fold it 45 degrees. you can then either solder or if you prefer glue it and like stated before build the base from anything you want. One way would be to take the next size larger tubing and make another tapered cone just like the first and when you have the right shape cut it off and slide it over the other main pipe. Again solder or glue.

You can do pretty much the same thing using aluminum tubing but I find the softer metal, not being able to solder it, plus it likes to clog my files more trouble than using brass.

Give it a try, if nothing else it is a cheap experment.

Lou 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou thank you so much for the break down on what to do. In fairness this sounds like a lot of fun so I will try it out and add the results to my log, thank you!

C

Although I would make this from brass myself, there's no reason you couldn't make it from wood if you want to paint it black. You can use a full-size electric drill held in a stand or clamped in a vise as a makeshift lathe and shape that tapered part with files or sanding sticks. The straight part of the stack can be made from pieces of dowel. You can drill a hole in the end of the dowel at the top of the stack so it looks more like a pipe. This should be a pretty simple project.

Cheers -

John

If you had some Cad skills it could be 3d model up sent to Shapeways online printing services and have it printed out within a week. I did all my stacks. flues and whistle on my riverboat. I would cost between 3-7 dollars and the detail will be sharp. If you want I may have time to model it up, print and ship to you. about an hour of my time.

Lee

21.jpg

Both are also good suggestions. I do own fusion 360 so im supposed to get better with cad. Could use this as an opportunity however first I want to try brass w sodder then maybe ill try a cad version :)

C

Wow

So many options! I have never made anything from a 3D printer and had no idea that the cost could be so inexpensive.

Looking forward to your brass version Charlie. I think you will be impressed on how easy it is to do.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks guys! I have ordered the bluejacket version as well as caldercrafts and cast your anchor versions as they all together cost me less than $20 :D However im not sure if they will meet the level or realism I like in my models however they will at least serve as study models for me to practice for scratch. And yes I actually just ordered guns from seamless for the sms dresden model I have im curious to see what they look like making cad parts seems not all that different than making laser parts. :)

On 11/14/2017 at 1:12 PM, CharlieZardoz said:

the best place to get a brass or any metal galley chimney /stack / flue

Charlie,

It may be easy to order hollow and solid stock brass from Model Expo or the other Hobby something forgot last name.

It seems it would be easy to solder one appears to be a very simple shape.

I might be missing something in your post at times I have a simple mind.:huh:

Good Luck

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

fyi here are the guns for sms emdem via seamless. They are very small and better detailed than the kit but I feel this tech still has some bugs to work out. What do you all think?

20171115_224335.jpg

Hi Charlie, what material was used?  I had a model printed in 1:350 and it has amazing detail for its size.  If I recall mine was printed with the Ultra Frosted stuff.

cheers

Pat

Yeah same stuff however these are maybe 1/4" tops the detail is there it is possible that when painted the detailing will be more clear the frosted clear is hard for my eyes to focus on :)

Here's what I ultimately came up with. The Bluejacket funnel works perfect and ill probably put a tarp over where the stack enters the grating to act as a covering. What do you all think? :)

20171122_135926_resized.jpg

20171122_140000_resized.jpg

Looks good in the photo Charlie; but the real test is whether you like it :)  As to the tarp, that is one option I think, not sure if they may have used a lead 'flashing' in a grating.  Only problem is that the heat from the "charlie noble' (funnel) may have ignited a tarp covering that was so cl;ose?

cheers

Pat

Hey Pat that's exactly my quandary. I did make an attempt on my model to add a lead flashing and looking at my image it didn't look right. The Mamoli kit has a bolted flash over the grating (see image). Or I could remove the grating entirely and just seal the hatch kind of like the Armed Virginia Schooner model (see image). The next class revenue cutter Morris/Taney has the stack outside the grating (check image with arrow). Also the Corel Ranger verion of the Doughty cutter eliminated the grating/combing entirely and did the same approach like Morris/Taney model. However I suppose I am following the Krick/Bluejacket design which follows Chapelle's plans and has the stack go right through the grating port. The Krick model shows a cloth tarp covering the area (see image) but perhaps you are right about the heat. The joy and perhaps frustration of ship modeling is that there are multiple ways to interpret plans so really it's just determining what was the most sensible and efficient method a ship builder would use to solve a problem. :) 

20171120_143122.jpg

20171121_232240.jpg

CMamoli_MV55_Alert_D1[1].jpg

DSC03717a[1].jpg

med_gallery_5855_780_58797[1].jpg

ranger4[1].JPG

SM55W-4[1].jpg

The stack should not face into the wind - otherwise the stack doesn't work and it gets real smokey below decks real quick besides playing havoc with the stove fire.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

HI yeah im using these for examples of the bolted flash and realizing a few model makers put the funnel facing foward in error. Theres that logic/sensibility again Im not a sailor myself but try and think through the functionality of parts on ships which is why bolting a plate to a grating seems silly to me no? ;)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Hi Charlie - 

Putting on my shipwright's cap, here's my two cents:  The 'flashing' is not so much to keep water out of the galley as it is to stabilize the chimney coming off the stove.  It would need some support as it goes up through the deck, and a strong metal plate secured to the grating would fit the bill.   Any sort of wooden support would get too hot, I think.  When it rained, the tarp that appears in one of the Mamoli photos could be used (although I am a bit wary of relying on a detail from a model where the gratings do not have a solid perimeter).

As for the direction of the top of the Charlie Noble, pretty much any orientation is OK, since they turned to stay out of the windstream.  Use your best artistic judgement.  In the real world, sideways to the wind was probably best, since it would pull the smoke most strongly up the chimney, like blowing across the top of a straw.  They just had to be sure not to face it into the wind, or the smoke would be blown right back down. 

The carronade and pivot mount are coming along nicely.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Cool thank you Dan in that case I will endeavour to make the plate and place it over the grating with a few treenails along the edge. My question now is finding a way to attach a plate on this funnel right where that ring is so that it is flush yet I can slide it over the wider edge without cutting the bluejacket piece in half. Maybe a rubber sheet or some material that has elasticity? I tried with that plastic piece but it warped as you can see. The final plate will be about 3/16". Any thoughts from anyone?

20171123_235414.jpg

Charlie,

What about black cardstock? Cut the cardstock then overlap in the center to make the hole.  It would make sense that the cover was metal and due to the stack, it probably couldn't be in one piece.  Insert stack, set and clue cardstock in place. As for the cardstock... we fake a lot of things with cardstock.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Think were I doing this for real, it would be two pieces. One cone shaped with the hole for the vent through the center and nailed to the hatch grate. The other piece would be attached to the vent, also cone shaped to fit over the first cone and allowed to rotate as needed. Rigged to come apart quickly and the vent and grate replaced with a hatch cover that could be tarped and battened down.

jud

Hmm ok in that case I can do something like a split pipe collar like the kind they put on radiator pipes, I used to play with them all the time as a kid grandma's house had the old style radiators... I miss that place... sniff ;)

Charlie,

Here is a possible simple but stupid suggestion, coming from one that has less experience than most of the others making suggestions. Place the grating as just a grating re-position the stack behind the foremast and use Marks suggestion of card stock for flashing.

OK all ready for my beat down. :default_wallbash: :)

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Lol a perfectly sensible suggestion John. I considered taking the stack out of the grating area entirely, thing is I am following Chapelle's plan and he probably assumed that such a small ship had to be as compact as possible. I honestly couldn't tell you what is the most mechanically sound approach but I figured I would just follow the plans and trust Chapelle knew what he was talking about and at the very least it keeps me from over thinking especially when I lack the wisdom to adequately take creative licenses and avoid faux pas. ;)

post-23651-0-48536200-1454952408[1].jpg

What I would expect to find aboard such a vessel would be a rotating and quickly removable stack with maybe a half grate hatch cover with the other half lying alongside the hatch or lashed to the mast. Might find some lines and poles for an awning over the open hatch. When you batten down, you want water to stay out and the covers to be secure, not having the galley stove lit, would be of little concern, eat biscuit and drink grog.

jud  :pirate41:Part of a day in the Brown Water navy, 1968.

5a18ac82a2977_DIRECTFROMCEARCLICK496.1.thumb.jpg.9915e2c2196ae10aab8fe345ba17bf3d.jpg

Edited by jud