CharlieZardoz

Looking for galley stack /chimney /funnel / ventilator / flue fitting

Hi everyone I am wondering if someone knows the best place to get a brass or any metal galley chimney /stack / flue / ventilator / funnel that I can add to my little revenue cutter. Stack should be like 3/4" length tops at 1/64 scale. Havent seen too many of themthey seem surprisingly hard to come by so maybe one of you knows a decent company or version that may have them. I already checked corwall uk. Closest Ive seen is this one below. :)

Charlie

untitled.png

Edited by CharlieZardoz

I have not seen one of that shape during my searches Charlie; I wish you luck.

Have you considered making one?  Seems like a bit of suitably sized brass tube cut cleanly at 45 degrees then soldered to form the 90-degree angle would make the main part.  Simply find some conical shape in any material/medium, drill out and slide over the base - paint it black and hey presto :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
CharlieZardoz and mtaylor like this

Ooof yeah that might be an alternative however my skill in metal work is ziltch. Especially for something so small however if no suitable brass parts are out there (figured someone might know on here) well I might very well give it a go from scratch. Its the fact that it tapers toward the end that feels challenging. :)

Edited by CharlieZardoz
BANYAN and mtaylor like this

Hi Charlie

You might try using a straight tube of K&S brass, (Or solid rod if you prefer). Cut a piece somewhat longer than you will need and chuck it into a Dremel, drill, or what ever you use and file the taper on the end. K&S tubing has fairly thick walls. When you get the taper you want cut a notch at the bending location and fold it 45 degrees. you can then either solder or if you prefer glue it and like stated before build the base from anything you want. One way would be to take the next size larger tubing and make another tapered cone just like the first and when you have the right shape cut it off and slide it over the other main pipe. Again solder or glue.

You can do pretty much the same thing using aluminum tubing but I find the softer metal, not being able to solder it, plus it likes to clog my files more trouble than using brass.

Give it a try, if nothing else it is a cheap experment.

Lou 

Edited by lmagna
mtaylor, BANYAN and CharlieZardoz like this

Although I would make this from brass myself, there's no reason you couldn't make it from wood if you want to paint it black. You can use a full-size electric drill held in a stand or clamped in a vise as a makeshift lathe and shape that tapered part with files or sanding sticks. The straight part of the stack can be made from pieces of dowel. You can drill a hole in the end of the dowel at the top of the stack so it looks more like a pipe. This should be a pretty simple project.

Cheers -

John

lmagna and mtaylor like this

If you had some Cad skills it could be 3d model up sent to Shapeways online printing services and have it printed out within a week. I did all my stacks. flues and whistle on my riverboat. I would cost between 3-7 dollars and the detail will be sharp. If you want I may have time to model it up, print and ship to you. about an hour of my time.

Lee

21.jpg

mtaylor and lmagna like this

Both are also good suggestions. I do own fusion 360 so im supposed to get better with cad. Could use this as an opportunity however first I want to try brass w sodder then maybe ill try a cad version :)

C

mtaylor and lmagna like this

The one you showed looks like the similar to the one on the smuggler by bluejacket.  one is under special parts in parts list as part of the kit. the one shown might be there part # 906. look under builds for smuggler and see if they have there stacks. also Alfons has good pictures under Gloucester fishing schooner.

mtaylor likes this

Wow

So many options! I have never made anything from a 3D printer and had no idea that the cost could be so inexpensive.

Looking forward to your brass version Charlie. I think you will be impressed on how easy it is to do.

Lou

Thanks guys! I have ordered the bluejacket version as well as caldercrafts and cast your anchor versions as they all together cost me less than $20 :D However im not sure if they will meet the level or realism I like in my models however they will at least serve as study models for me to practice for scratch. And yes I actually just ordered guns from seamless for the sms dresden model I have im curious to see what they look like making cad parts seems not all that different than making laser parts. :)

lmagna and mtaylor like this

On 11/14/2017 at 1:12 PM, CharlieZardoz said:

the best place to get a brass or any metal galley chimney /stack / flue

Charlie,

It may be easy to order hollow and solid stock brass from Model Expo or the other Hobby something forgot last name.

It seems it would be easy to solder one appears to be a very simple shape.

I might be missing something in your post at times I have a simple mind.:huh:

Good Luck

fyi here are the guns for sms emdem via seamless. They are very small and better detailed than the kit but I feel this tech still has some bugs to work out. What do you all think?

20171115_224335.jpg

mtaylor likes this

Hi Charlie, what material was used?  I had a model printed in 1:350 and it has amazing detail for its size.  If I recall mine was printed with the Ultra Frosted stuff.

cheers

Pat

Yeah same stuff however these are maybe 1/4" tops the detail is there it is possible that when painted the detailing will be more clear the frosted clear is hard for my eyes to focus on :)