HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

Mike your work is not only inspirational but instructional as well. The collaboration between design and design verification is such a wise process, not well conducted by others. Thank you for leading the way. This is truly going to be a classic offering.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

Very good precise work, my friend.

Bring it to our next club meeting, please.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Building continues with the stern framing. I was lucky enough to get the frames laser cut for me. I used a simple cardboard template to install them at the same angle as shown on the plans. Next, the five sills were added. I made these from 5/32" x 5/16" strip. These angles were tricky to get right and there were a few throwaways.  The sills were set flat, not pointing upwards. The final step was to add the four laser cut lintel filler pieces. In a few places, I found them to be a tiny bit too short between the frames, so I cut new ones from 1/4" sheet boxwood. The interior and exterior surfaces were then faired. I was told that these surfaces will eventually be thinned down even more.

_DSC8484.thumb.JPG.1c394496513d27810c8f58cfc182d31d.JPG_DSC8481_sfw.thumb.jpg.783304f8506e231fe54963197d1efd4b.jpg

In preparation for the bollard timbers the area behind the stem was reduced to a thickness of 1/8".

_DSC8483.thumb.JPG.36ec0633919f95152e358b15bd95d556.JPG

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Looking really good.  The stern timbers came out very nice.

Maury

Thank You, Maury and for all the "Likes"!

The quarter gallery framing and aft-most gun port turned out to be my week's project. The 5/64" X 1/4" strip along the top of the quarter deck bulkheads was made from basswood. I sanded the bulkhead tops to the correct angles for a smooth flow of the strip. Getting the symmetry from one side to the other took patience and repeated eyeballing. The framing of the quarter gallery required a bit of experimentation. There are a number of angles on each strip and no two strips are the same, except for the two gallery entrance strips. Rather than waste precious boxwood, I used basswood strips to find the correct angles. As an example, one strip had angles of 70° and 10° on one side, 6.5° and 5° on the other. A disc sander with multiple adjustments comes in handy. After completing the horizontal strips I made the two aft-most gun ports. Lastly, the quarter gallery entrance strips were added. The plan detail proved to be very useful for getting exact measurements.

All strips were inserted standing proud, allowing for shaping to the hull shape when fairing. I faired the work leaving a wee bit more for later on when I start work on the lower hull. I'm always trying to stay one step back until I'm sure of where I'm going.

_DSC8500.thumb.JPG.2a4d20a47fb04b709d751298ffef9b72.JPG

_DSC8498_sfw.thumb.jpg.5ae53bc96c17976959f1930379475208.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

The four hance pieces are in. They were laser cut from yellow cedar and set proud in order to shape them to the outboard hull shape. A cross spall was used to insure that they sit straight.

_DSC8505_sfw.thumb.jpg.1bf4c0d4ba856bb64151a58452322f71.jpg

_DSC8508.thumb.JPG.962873b2db743d6dea37ddcf48a3ea43.JPG

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Having them laser cut certainly makes the job of making and installing them symmetrically much easier.  She's looking terrific, Mike!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a few things over the past week.

The quarter gallery framing and surrounding area was faired some more. The tops of the two outer stern frames were reduced in thickness from 1/4" to 5/32" in order to match the thickness of the inner frames. The entire area was then faired to establish a smooth batten run down the hull. You can see how much material has been removed compared to the photo above from an earlier post.

_DSC8515.thumb.JPG.0671bd5e5ed28d53f579e83f19050397.JPG

Next, the entire hull was faired with the exception of the two filler pieces under the lower counter. I started on them, but remain unsure about the transition from one to the other. Hopefully, this will become less confusing after I talk to Chuck this week.

_DSC8516_sfw.thumb.jpg.62f7a4e0a47cca7ec6774ffc2ee8d0cc.jpg

I did manage to add the fixed blocks. 1/32" Slots were milled for each of these. I did not mill the slots on a strip of wood that was the exact width required. Rather, I used a much wider strip. The advantage being that it was not necessary to mill the slot to the exact angle and position on the strip. Paper templates were cut from the plan drawing and the slots carefully removed with a #11 blade. They were then aligned over the milled slots and adhered with Elmer's School Glue. With the template as a guide, the outer edges of each block was sanded down on the disc sander to the proper width all around. The sheaves were made from slivers of wood cut from discs of the same thickness as the slot. Each sheave is thinner than the actual block, so they can recess slightly into the block. A #2 pencil was used to darken the sheave slot and the actual sheave.

_DSC8512_sfw.thumb.jpg.c00f41dce7e81a8010abd20fdea22a4a.jpg_DSC8511_sfw.thumb.jpg.1cd4654d68c829219da15e7f9ef432e3.jpg_DSC8513_sfw.thumb.jpg.0a68285e1fe19c30115a28cb6feabb21.jpg

Mike

Wow, what an education. Your log is a masterpiece fitting the inspirational work on the model.

Rookie question, what is a "cross spall"

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Thank you, Harley!

I probably used the word "cross-spall" loosely in that post. I used a flat piece of wood clamped across the top of the hance pieces to make sure that the top edge was flat across the hull.

On Hayling, I used a cross-spall or batten strip to insure that the frames were parallel across their tops. I tack glued the strip at the height of the top timbers. I set the frame when both sides were the same in vertical measurement to the top of the batten. There are other ways to do this when using a cross-spall, but I found that this way worked for me.

_DSC8126.thumb.jpg.26077fb9f8648772ffcdddac963c43be.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Nicely redone Mike

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I seemed to have lost the Winne project baseline build definition. I had assumed you were doing a beta build to prove out the design for Chuck/Syren. Is this not the case?  The question arises (over the laser work) as I had assumed I was witnessing a true beta build. I hope this is clear.

Joe

Joe,

I am working closely with Chuck on this build, but it is not a true beta build in the way you are suggesting. There will be times when I do scratch over laser cut. Not to make it better, but to work on my scratch building skills. The nine piece knee of the head was scratched since there was concern about laser cutting 1/4" boxwood. The fixed blocks were milled. For the kit version, these parts will most likely be laser cut, though perhaps not in boxwood.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I've been working on the final fairing of the lower counter. It was determined that the vertical filler piece was not close enough to the rabbet strip, so a thin strip was added to the aft edge of the filler piece. The first horizontal filler block had a score where the "B" frame was located. I removed the block and shaved the bottom edge of the "B" frame down, level with the other frames. The new block now sits neatly across the frames. I left one side not yet faired to show how much wood was removed to fair this area. The transition between the two filler pieces becomes clear as more and more wood is removed. A batten strip was used in various locations to make sure that enough wood was removed.

_DSC8522_sfw.thumb.jpg.7514e207be5860ce17b2d20f4497aa23.jpg_DSC8521_sfw.thumb.jpg.c0b209be5944b0a53cb062b56a5c8b81.jpg

Mike

Very nice work Mike. Yes that bend is tricky to visualize at first but it sure looks like you nailed it!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The lower counter has been planked and sanded. I used a #2b pencil to darken the plank edges.  Decorative molding will cover the notch in the lowest plank.

_DSC8535_sfw.thumb.jpg.74c71f2dd28d2832efe70de0990bc64f.jpg

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I have made some progress in the last month. The gun ports were spray painted using a mix of Windsor & Newton Crimson and Burnt Umber. The mix ratio is 10:1. I was surprised to see the color bleed into the soft ply so much, though It will all be covered after the planking is completed. Next, I made the bollard timbers. These proved to be quite a challenge along with some failed attempts. Most of the work was done on the disc sander and mill. The eight sided swivel mount and step were shaped with needle files.

In preparation for the first layer wales I ran a batten which marks the lower wale location. As usual, Chuck made it easier with laser etched lines on each bulkhead. With the first batten in place a pencil line was drawn along its top edge onto each bulkhead. This line marks the bottom of the wales. Vertical measurements were made at each line and a corresponding mark was made to the other side of the hull. The result being that each side looked smooth and symmetrical with both battens in place. I completed the four strakes for the first layer of wales on both sides working from the bottom up. I did not adhere to the butt joint locations on this underlying layer as shown on the plans. I will on the second layer. Work was also started on the first of two layers that will make up the black strake.

_DSC8550_sfw.thumb.jpg.3d947c3116494304b8680e5f84e86e27.jpg

_DSC8551_sfw.thumb.jpg.a357f06addeee7dae874ceefb90cc7f5.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Great looking work, Mike. 

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Mike,

I like that you toned down the red with a little burnt umber.  I think too many people use modern red colors that were just too bright for what they had available back then.  Looking nice.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

• 1 month later...

Jorge,

I'm on hold while I continue to try and find some nice boxwood for the hull planking. The stuff I have now has too much visible grain. Here is an sample I made to simulate the planking with some Wipe-on-Poly applied.  Some folks might like it, but I prefer a less grainy look. This is a major project and I don't want to compromise unless I have to.

1080593357_DocumentName_crop.thumb.jpg.3410c05198f1b30805d76783017bbdea.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Mike, Why not try some Alaskan yellow Cedar?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

very nice and acurate work Mike,

its going to be a beauty !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 month later...

Mike, I noticed no filler blocks on V3, is that due to the larger scale or do you feel that was a contributing factor in V2’s twist? Very nice work btw, I admire your tenacity! I’m looking forward to more updates. I’ve been waiting for this project to become “mere mortal’s obtanium” for some time, even putting off starting a Diana or Confederacy build in lieu of the reality of this Winnie.... I am glad it’s grown to 1/4 scale - I remember voting for that several years ago!  😎

Lou

Edited by ASAT
Got my V’s mixed up