HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

Lou: This version uses a thicker and better grade of wood for the bulkhead former and bulkheads. Filler blocks are not necessary.

Chuck has supplied me with some nice boxwood sheets for planking, so I am finally ready to start work above the black strake. Cutouts or tabs are made where necessary in the area of the gun ports. I'm using clamps and Titebond II. Sanding will be done after all of these planks are in.

_DSC8754_sfw.thumb.jpg.a581f92d2d5338090e97649b2569fa95.jpg_DSC8756_sfw.thumb.jpg.086ab0da0c232eab46a98cd094ed279a.jpg

_DSC8753_sfw.thumb.jpg.b7726586473bad248ab4d3495b3357f5.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Mike.  I'm always impressed with the quality of your work.

What type of clamps do you use and how do you set them up?  Too many clamps will leave indentations in the wood.

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thank you, Ken!

I only use clamps with protective tips. Here is an example of the clamps I use and how I set them. Those are 2" Wolfcraft clamps which are used to pull the plank against the hull. http://www.wolfcraft.com/en/products/p/microtip_spring_clamps/2_microtip_60_precision_spring_clamps/s/p/index.html The 6" Dewalt clamp is used to pull the plank down tight to the previously installed plank. I usually glue and clamp 4"-6" of planking at a time. No matter how many I use there is no chance of denting the boxwood.

_DSC8757_sfw.thumb.jpg.a2f77aeb5e954888a6579edc699979aa.jpg

Mike

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Thanks Mike.  I’ll look into those Wolfcraft clamps.  

I enjoy watching your outstanding work.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

The planking work above the wales on the starboard side is finished. I think you can see the difference in the newly purchased wood compared to that which was used for the first wale layer. It is much more even in grain and color. The most difficult work was shaping the planks that have both tabs and cutouts.

_DSC8792_sfw.thumb.jpg.efcc0794c69b4bb7cccd2f59067d7e98.jpg

_DSC8799_sfw.thumb.jpg.0a41529070749ca15e3418ffe725c81f.jpg

_DSC8800_sfw.thumb.jpg.d69f1cae1c85f087d3b445b81d7c4902.jpg

_DSC8802_sfw.thumb.jpg.7d275f660a003af0672557867460652d.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Wow -- that's is some awesome work on those planks.  Looks like each one will almost be a model in its self.

Just curious, what size are the planks that your using on the Winnie??

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Excellent joinery!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Steve, the planks with no tabs are 1/4" x 3/64 and the tabbed ones are 5/16 x 3/64"

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Excellent Mike.  Your workmanship is stunning to behold.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Mike, You're doing excellent work on the planking!

Maury

Thank you all for the very nice comments and for all the"Likes"!

Mike

• 1 month later...

The port side planking above the first layer wales is done. Again you can see the original wood color in the area of the wales compared to that which is above. I pencil marked X's on the first layer wales so as to avoid placing the second layer in the wrong location.

Winchelsea_8847.jpg.9d598181e8b780b9382cfc6eab926870.jpg

I also started to clean up and fair the inside of the hull in the forecastle area. I glued scrap 1/8" basswood and balsa in-between the frames as a guide while removing material. Lots of sawdust!

Winchelsea_8846.jpg.ae9828f16bca997b86f99122b20b3eec.jpg

MIke

Edited by Stuntflyer

Hi MIke,

Beautiful work!

I somehow got the idea in my head that the red paint at the gunports would extend out along the revealed edges of the planking, to meet the face of the planking at the outer edge, not the inner edge. Do you have another understanding, or are you planning to paint those edges later?

I have been fretting over how to do this myself, assuming I did not misunderstand this detail!

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Mike,

Fair enough! Purism should never win out over maintaining high quality of craftsmanship if a choice has to be made, as far as I am concerned. I wonder how good a job the sailors did out at sea, cutting paint to that outer edge. It might have looked like smeared lipstick!

My wife the retired architect, never, ever, specified paint to change color at an outer edge because it is impossible to get a clean line.

Mark

Thanks, Mark!

I have fretted about it too and decided not to paint those edges. Guess I'm not a purist!

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Actually, it is possible to get a clean edge on a outside corner. This is how:

Use a flat brush and do not overload it.

Brush in strokes at right angles to the edge from inside to out, over the edge.

If you use a light touch, the edge will be perfect.

Should a little paint get over the edge, let it dry completely. Then lightly scrape it off. (This works even more easily if the wood has been sealed before painting.)

C fore swivel bolts 30.1.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

In my opinion I think the jury is still out on whether that was standard practice.  I have seen contemporary models built with the ports painted both ways.  Its just a personal decision.   One must remember that you would need to be 100% confident with your planking around the ports otherwise painting the edges would reveal every flaw.  That is something not worth doing for such a minor detail where contemporary evidence suggests strongly both methods were employed.   This is true even if it was just a modeling convention used by even contemporary builders.  I believe a builder should use their own judgement on whether "kitchen sinking" their model is worth compromising the overall look and craftsmanship of their final work just for the sake of being able to say that it was correct....assuming there was no concrete evidence that this was standard practice.   

Its really no different than deciding whether holly should be used below the wales to stylistically represent a painted hull.  In the end its just a stylistic choice based on how much you like that look vs. any other.  

Having said all this, the Contemporary model of the Winnie does have the plank edges painted red as well.  But yes it does look sloppy.  Also note the tabbed planking into the port.....

This photo shows many interesting features you may or may not choose to model.  For example the thicker shear plank in the waste which does extend all the way to the stern and up to the cap rail.  This feature is historically correct yet you rarely if ever see folks planking there models this way.   This is a feature I plan on actually showing on my new version of Winnie.

DSCF5504.JPG

Mike just paint it the way you prefer.  😊

Chuck

Mark: what you are looking in that photo are the lower-edge hinged port lids, inboard of which are the various 'infernal devices' of a fireship. Close to the ports are chambers. These blow the lids open. On each side of the chamber are grenadoes that also explode. There are many other nasty contents to a fireship, but we digress....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Mark, I think it is a Fireship... have you this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Fireship-Terror-Weapon-Age-Sail/dp/1591142709

druxey was faster ;)

Edited by Alex M

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues with the rather messy job of fairing the inner hull above the wales starboard side. Frame width has been reduced to 6" or 1/8" actual.

Winchelsea_8920.thumb.jpg.2f5bbcb4cb897617d21326616f95ca2a.jpg

Winchelsea_8919.thumb.jpg.f898f438656d7b53f8e357b5f248f857.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Looking real good, Mike.  Can't wait to see it.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

I finally completed the work of thinning down the bulkhead extensions (toptimbers).

_DSC8955.thumb.jpg.aec58f0603b24f82748f4042887cac62.jpg_DSC8958.thumb.jpg.cffa3d44c3c3999a14b0a73f64531ef6.jpg_DSC8961.thumb.jpg.a677c4a1a0a5285ef3f4017a912e571d.jpg

I found that leaning the hull allows for easier access when sanding both the exterior and interior. This also reduces the need for me to be constantly bent over which tends to be hard on my back. The three upright supports do keep the hull vertical, but clamping these supports keeps the hull more rigid and less prone to movement while sanding. I could foresee the possibility of this constant movement either marring the keel or even worse loosening joints.

_DSC8957.thumb.jpg.431d1f67284ef93198b14f9cf7c2c36b.jpg

At this point I am ready to start the second layer whales and black strake.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems like forever since I started on the second wale layer. Anyway, 3 of the 4 strakes are in. Each strake was made from 5 or 6 planks. I could do the last strake now, but I think it would be better to wait until at least one strake below the wale is in. This strake would include the drop plank at the fore end of the ship. Adding it now would give me a better visual for getting a good joint to the underlying wale layer and make it easier to sand it afterwards. I remember this issue coming up on the Cheerful build where I regretted not doing it this way. I could add the black strake now after doing a bit more sanding above it.

The wale is tapered down to less that 1/64th at the stem from 3/4"-1" out. This was mostly done with a miniature chisel from Veritas. https://www.fine-tools.com/miniature-chisels.html I left one layer untouched, so you can better see this. 

_DSC8967_sfw.thumb.jpg.8edb43cccc194a6ed5db98cf63b6bda7.jpg

_DSC8968_sfw.thumb.jpg.841e83dac01bb73b20e541ac3aafcb31.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer