When did the use of beam arms begin?   The earliest drawing showing them that I could find is a detailed set of deck plans for Elizabeth 1706.   Drawings of the Lenox in the Restoration Warship which was from the late 17th century show no beam arms.   Goodwin's Sailing Man of War does not give any indication of when their use began.  Specific vessel that I have in mind is Antelope (50), 1703.  The only drawings of Antelope that I can find do not help.   

Thanks,

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Henry, it is hard to describe in words.  They are best understood when seeing them in a drawing.  Hope it is clear enough for you to see the arms on the drawing.  Allan

Beam arms 1.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have seen these in a bunch of plans and models. Originally I was wondering what type of mechanical or structural advantage they would provide give the added complexity. Then after looking at them for sometime I figured they probably allowed for a larger hatch opening to the lower decks.  I could be wrong. In any case for your question I’m not sure when they first were used. 

Hi Allan;

The draught you show looks like a good detailed one.  Is this the Elizabeth,  1706,  which you refer to?

All the best.

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hi Allan;

Thanks for the info.  I will see if I can get a look at this once the plans archive is accessible again (it's shut at the moment while the storage area is re-built)

Concerning beam arms,  nothing I have been able to find is any earlier than your draught.  Everything from the Restoration era neither mentions nor shows beam arms. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS