USS Carl Vinson by Wolfman_63 - FINISHED - Trumpeter -1/350 - PLASTIC - Conversion of Nimitz Kit

Completed all the rigging on the island. I used EZ Line thin. It works great! Also start the radar tower. This is all photoetch (from White Ensign)  Just need to build the antenna and then mount it to the deck.

DSC03701.JPG

DSC03703.JPG

DSC03706.JPG

DSC03707.JPG

DSC03708.JPG

DSC03709.JPG

Website - David's Scale Models - https://www.davidsscalemodels.com

Nicely done, Wolfman. White Ensign has some good PE for ships. And your lighting work looks superb.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

WOW........oh yea, wow.

I am acquiring a few odds and ends to start a build of Dragons 1/350 USS Independence CV22.  Read your thread from start to last entry.  Could not but help to look w/awe in the 1st photo of all the accessories you have purchased, plus kit!

I know the pain for details and the hit it takes on a wallet.  My little AC Carrier has already hit the don't tell the wife, please status.  Your skill and attention to detail is most excellent.

Looking forward to more.

Rick

The radar tower is done, The raft canisters, whip antenna's and starboard forward tower (scratch built) are done. Just need to add the whip antenna's and raft canisters to the port side and the anchors. This will basically complete the ship (screws will be put on after the ship is mounted to the display base). All that is left is 56 aircraft, deck tractors, Tilly crane, and the display case.

DSC03710.JPG

DSC03711.JPG

DSC03713.JPG

DSC03716.JPG

UPDATE: Was informed that the radar tower behind the island is in the wrong position. After some quick research, I have confirmed that Trumpeter has the radar tower in the wrong spot. The tower should be located at the very edge of the flight deck. This is for all Nimitz class carriers. The Nimitz 1975 cruise book clearly shows the tower at the edge.

I have relocated the tower.

DSC03717.JPG

DSC03718.JPG

DSC03719.JPG

There is light at the end of the flight deck! The ship is basically done. The only two things left to do is to add the screw (props) once it is mounted on the display base and put the flag on it. I did not like how the flat decal flag looked. I do have some ideas on how to make the flag look more realistic. If you have any tips or tricks on making 1/350 scale flags look realistic, please let me know.

For now I will be working on the rest of the aircraft for the flight  deck, the deck tractors, and the Tilly crane. I purchased the Tilly from BaconFist at Shapeways and am working on detailing it now. The last two pictures are the boxes of aircraft left to build and the Tilly crane without detailing.

I am not the best photographer and due to the lighting it is difficult getting a good picture with the compact digital camera. I do plan on having professional pictures taken once it is complete.

DSC03723.JPG

DSC03725.JPG

DSC03728.JPG

DSC03729.JPG

DSC03732.JPG

DSC03733.JPG

DSC03734.JPG

DSC03735.JPG

DSC03736.JPG

DSC03738.JPG

DSC03739.JPG

DSC03741.JPG

DSC03747.JPG

DSC03748.JPG

Special Update! Since the ship is done I now need to work on the filling the flight deck. With all the detail I added to the ship, it only makes sense to continue with details.

I ordered the Tilly crane from BaconFist on Shapeways (3D printed accessoriesfor Nimitz Class carriers)

And here it is after 9.5 hours of detailing.

DSC03750.JPG

DSC03752.JPG

DSC03754.JPG

DSC03755.JPG

DSC03756.JPG

DSC03757.JPG

Thanks! If you are going to build the Nimitz, Tell me which air wing you will be using and I can email you a high resolution decal proof sheet to make your own decal sheet of all the hangar bay decals. If you can't make your own decals, I can print out a sheet and mail it to you for about $10. (cost of paper and shipping) Here is a sample of the decal sheet for the Nimitz with air wing 8.

Decal set CVN-68_8 Hangar.jpg

Edited by Wolfman_63

Working on filling the flight deck continues. Here are the deck tractors for the flight deck. These are the Black Dog deck tractor set. The only assembly was the wheels. The decals are from Star Fighter. Next up is to start working on the many aircraft for the flight deck.

DSC03766.JPG

DSC03769.JPG

DSC03772.JPG

DSC03774.JPG

On 11/30/2017 at 6:50 PM, Wolfman_63 said:

Thanks! If you are going to build the Nimitz, Tell me which air wing you will be using and I can email you a high resolution decal proof sheet to make your own decal sheet of all the hangar bay decals. If you can't make your own decals, I can print out a sheet and mail it to you for about $10. (cost of paper and shipping) Here is a sample of the decal sheet for the Nimitz with air wing 8.

Decal set CVN-68_8 Hangar.jpg

Thanks....I am in the process of relocating my residency to a new Town Home😎.

Will gladly pay your price for a set of those markings.

Thank you

Rick

Work is progressing on filling the flight deck. The EA-6B's and the SH-3's are done. So there are only 48 more aircraft to do. I also received the brass plaque which will be mounted on the base of the display case. The final position of the aircraft will be done after all of them are built. Here are the latest pictures:

DSC03775.JPG

DSC03776.JPG

DSC03777.JPG

DSC03785.JPG

DSC03786.JPG

DSC03789.JPG

DSC03792.JPG

DSC03793.JPG

DSC03795.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Little late on latest update. Between Christmas and a minor health issue I am hoping to get back to the rest of the aircraft. Here are the E-2C's from VAW-114 on the flight deck. I will be starting on the A-6E's next after I set up my new work bench that my awesome loving Wife got me for Christmas. (Pictures will be posted later) Now on to the E-2C  pictures:

DSC03805.JPG

DSC03807.JPG

DSC03808.JPG

DSC03809.JPG

DSC03810.JPG

As promised, Here are pictures of the new work bench.

I had a small wooden drafting/hobby desk. Worked great for about 10 years. For Christmas my Wife bought me a new one. It's 35% larger surface area and steel supports so it is very stable. Used it the first time last night working on 1/350 A-6E's for my Vinson project.

Here is what I used for 10+ years:

27539640299_efeeddbb10_c.jpg

Here are pictures of my new one. I like the tray in front. Very handy.

25447980408_5a07650d92_c.jpg

Here is one of the new large Xacto self-healing mats:

27539642599_241248b7ae_c.jpg

25447985048_6bf7efbb5e_c.jpg

And here is it in use:

39299939112_5abc605261_c.jpg

Now plenty of room to build:

38451908895_3643d9caf4_c.jpg

truly amazing model....how long is she?  very well done with the lighting and aircraft......it's a diorama within the model  ;)    really nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

how do you make your decals....do you use a program?   I have the Testor's 'decal it' decal program,  but it seems to have a transparency issue.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

9 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

how do you make your decals....do you use a program?   I have the Testor's 'decal it' decal program,  but it seems to have a transparency issue.

What printer are you using? I had issues using an Epson due to the ink. I am using an HP printer now. There is some minor transparency but not as bad as the Epson.

Also when making decals on a dark surface I trim out a white base and put the clear on top.

I have an HP deskjet F2480.   I use the Testors clear and white decal film.   the 'decal it' decal standard edition program is pretty good....it allows me to import images,  but the transparency issue can be sort of a bugger.   these printers not printing white is another,  but with a bit of brainstorming,  I've done well substituting the white decal paper.   most ink jet printers max out at 600 dpi,  which might be part of the issue,  but I've found that using the white decal paper,  gives the image a base backing,  and looks much better.  the down side is that the decal needs to be trimmed,  to remove all of the unwanted white areas...especially if it is to be located on a surface other than white.   you must use a photo shop program ;)    superb job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

19 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I have an HP deskjet F2480.   I use the Testors clear and white decal film.   the 'decal it' decal standard edition program is pretty good....it allows me to import images,  but the transparency issue can be sort of a bugger.   these printers not printing white is another,  but with a bit of brainstorming,  I've done well substituting the white decal paper.   most ink jet printers max out at 600 dpi,  which might be part of the issue,  but I've found that using the white decal paper,  gives the image a base backing,  and looks much better.  the down side is that the decal needs to be trimmed,  to remove all of the unwanted white areas...especially if it is to be located on a surface other than white.   you must use a photo shop program ;)    superb job!

I use an HP4520 and Adobe Photoshop for my decals. I also print at 1200dpi and use Hi-Res photo mode and satin photo paper mode. Glossy paper mode seems to bleed the ink on the decal film. The higher DPI the less transparent the ink is on the decal film.

the 'Envy' printer........we have that one linked between the admiral and I.  I haven't looked into it's properties,  nor have I done any real printing with it.  I'll have to check it out.  I also have two different photo shop programs.....the one I have in the computer at the moment is limited...I only use it to resize pictures.  as for the HP F2480 printers,  I've been using landscape and portrait.....I'll look into that.   thanks for the head's up  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The A-6E's are completed and now on the flight deck. Starting the A-7E's. Just have 16 of the A-7E's and 16 of the F-14's left to do. I was hoping to finish by today but doing 1/350 scale aircraft is a longer process than I estimated. Just hit 712 hours into this project and estimate about 40 more hours to go to complete. Here are the pictures of the A-6E's on deck.

DSC03822.JPG

DSC03823.JPG

DSC03824.JPG

DSC03825.JPG

DSC03826.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As I head down the final stretch of this long detailed build, The A-7E's from VA-105 and VA-37 are done and sitting on the bow. All that is left to do is the F-14's from VF-51 and VF-111. Here are the pictures:

27828093589_e67cc87e40_c.jpg

24737553907_478e95a62c_c.jpg

24737551617_86d0c36997_c.jpg

27828092509_b3f49cf66e_c.jpg

27828094819_fdc068e08c_c.jpg

24737556117_9405d3fc42_c.jpg