Rattlesnake by campbewj - FINISHED - Model Shipways - American Privateer by Bill Campbell

After getting a question from Jazzdc I realized I hadn't been taking many pictures or posting so there seems to be a bit of gap in the work.  I'm past the lettering on the stern.  Ultimately I used the decal solvents over and over again until I was happy with the results.   using a separate piece of decal for each letter minimized to glossy look of a larger one.

I've begun the hull painting and I'm 2 coats in.   This is where Jazzdc's question was very timely.  he was asking about how much sanding etc.   I thought I hade sanded pretty well but as you can see there are a lot of imperfections once you put some paint on it.  Along the way I gave up on the idea of staining the hull.  one of the failures that didn't get recorded on a picture.   the basswood even with pre-stain conditioner didn't take the stain well.  Some board absorbed it to a fault and others didn't take much at all.  Then there we glue marks that looked bad as well. 

You can see the pictures below of current state.  I'm going to touch up with some wood filler again and then re-prime and paint and see where that gets me.  

thanks all for suggestions,

Bill  (campbewj)

11 18 2018 stern.jpg

11 18 2018 hull2.jpg

11 18 2018 hull1.jpg

11 18 2018 hull4.jpg

11 18 2018 hull3.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish 

Completed: 

• Model Shipways - Rattlesnake
  • Model Shipways - Phantom

Planning: 

• 1 month later...

after a couple of months of on and off again work here are few pictures of the ship.  I've done most of the core painting so that I think I'm pretty good with the overall look.  Much of what I'm working on is to complete enough details on the gun deck so that I'm comfortable putting the focsl deck and quarter deck on.  seems like I've been trying to do this for a long time and concern over forgetting to do something is keeping me from diving in.  Probably for good reason. 

I've just dry fit the masts and bowsprit (not shown in picture) so those should go in smoothly when the time comes. 

Its time to move on to a better stand as I sure don't want to turn the boat over to work on the pedestals after the masts and rigging are in place. 

All this is generating a lot of small side projects that need to get done to move forward. 

1 16 2019 bow.jpg

1 16 2019 full boat.jpg

1 16 2019 hull1.jpg

1 16 2019 hull2.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

I've haven't found a reasonably priced stained wooden stand so I've gone off to create my own.  Home depot sells poplar boards that are pretty reasonable and I've routed the wood to what looks about right to me.   I've got 3-4 stains I'm testing on the remnants of the wood.  I'm honestly not that thrilled with my staining work and I'm holding off on jumping to the real piece.  I've tried putting 4-5 rubbed on coats of stain to try to control how dark it gets and it never seems to get as consistent as I'd like.  If anyone has a some detailed staining instructions to get to a professional like finish, I would really appreciate some detailed how to instructions.  Everything I've found is pretty straightforward, but doesn't give the results I'd like to see.  The color seems fine but just doesn't look like a professional did it.  I have a sample of a kitchen cabinet next to it and it just looks a lot richer.  Any thoughts if that's due to the wood itself, wood prep, the stain, staining technique? 

1 16 2019 pedestal.jpg

1 16 2019 stain samples.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

For staining, begin with a pre stain conditioner. It is clear, but it will create a surface that will absorb the stain evenly with less blotching. You can then stain immediately after. You might consider a clear stain on top of the conditioner just to bring out the wood grain. It would darken the wood slightly, but without much color change. 

Russ

I am also building the MS Rattlesnake but I am a bit behind you, I just finished the gun port framing, I can appreciate the quality of your work, she is looking real nice, your choice of colors is especially good, what brand of paint and what colors did you use, keep up the good work

Ed

Ed,

I bought the Model Shipways paint package with the kit so for the most part that has been the baseline.  I've spent a lot of time looking at other rattlesnake builds and took the Red Ochre color from several of those builds.   I've also just gone to Michael s crafts from some of the colors when I wasn't wild about what color was shown.  A lot of my color scheme was modeled after Scott Larkins Rattlesnake build.   I had some trouble finding Red Ochre and honestly I'm not as happy with that paint as the others.  The outcome and color is great, it's just thicker and takes more effort to thin.  Others on the site have complained about the Model Shipways paint, I haven't had any issues with it.  this is only model 2 for me, so I'm sure others have much deeper experience.  

paint.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 11 months later...

Just shy of a year since my last post.  took a break in the spring and then golf and boating season hit.  Have been doing some work since the fall but haven't been posting.  Attached are a few pictures.  I'm at the stage where most of the deck fixtures have been complete.  I've been taking the approach of using what is in the box rather than trying to custom build things as the work as presenting in the model is daunting enough for build #2.   I've also simplified the gun rigging as the additional lines just didn't look good at my skill level.  hope everyone is having a great new year.

bill 

1 18 2020 aft deck.jpg

1 18 2020 Deck details full ship.jpg

1 18 2020 gun deck.jpg

1 18 2020 overhead bow.jpg

1 18 2020 with longboat.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 10 months later...

It seems I'm not great about taking pictures and even worse at posting the ones I take.   I have some catching up to do.   The good news is I am working on the ship and enjoying it.  One of the few winter time things we can do without restrictions.   Its starting to have some momentum around the build.   Most of these pictures are old so they will need to speak for themselves as I don't recall what might have been in my head when I took them.   At this point I had declared the deck finished although I now know I still need to add the platforms and stairs.   This set of pictures is from back in April

04 05 2020 Deck compete 2.jpg

04 05 2020 Deck complete 1.jpg

04 05 2020 Deck complete 3.jpg

04 05 2020 Deck complete 4.jpg

04 11 2020 lower shrouds in progress 2.jpg

04 11 2020 lower shrouds in progress.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

continuing with the catch up.   There was a bit of pause with Golf and real boating over the summer.   In the pictures below the lower shrouds and ratlines are nearing completion.   I'm testing the limits of my ability to keep lines straight and taught.   While still striving for a really good build, I've ruled out being able to keep up with the quality of the builds I follow on this sight.  There will be more ships to build to achieve that in the future.   As everything is a learning process, at some point I just have to move on.   

11 15 2020 lower masts ratlines 1.jpg

11 15 2020 lower masts ratlines 2.jpg

11 15 2020 platforms.jpg

11 15 2020 uper masts before install.jpg

11 15 2020 Yards before install.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

Great to hear from you again. Always nice when a modeler returns from hiatus. She certainly looks nice.

• 9 months later...

I have a confession to make.  I finished the model yesterday and realized I hadn't made a post here for 10 months.   Didn't mean to be a slug but it seems to have happened.  I did take photos along the way so from here on I'm really recreating the work from the past 10 months.  

Completed: 

Planning: 

thank you,  it was 3 plus years in the making and I enjoyed it all.  I'm waiting for a nice day to take some final outdoor pictures to post.   Then I need to find a reasonable case to put it in.   Anyone have a source for a reasonable acrylic case?

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 2 weeks later...

Attached are a set of completed photos.   Clearly my photography skills are lacking.   Some day I may ask a friend to take some better pictures but for now this is it.  suggestions welcome.

now off to a new build of the Flying Fish

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5963 (2).jpg

IMG_5966 (2).jpg

IMG_5968 (2).jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg

IMG_5951 (2).jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954 (2).jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 year later...