A Model Railroader adding ships to the repertoire!

T_Warris

Hi all,

After a lifetime of building model railroads, model planes, cars, bikes and everything else, I've jumped into model ships. More of a return, having built a grand total of 1 ship 30 years ago, a Bluenose II. I remember buying the kit at a hobby show in Toronto in November of '87 and telling the vendor I intended to build it and give it to my father for Christmas. He said "This year?".  He was right, he didn't get his ship for three years...

20171120_134401.thumb.jpg.cb59d48a8d246da120d906f45caedf9a.jpg

20171120_134331.thumb.jpg.7f30fa716b30ec15c43ea667616592ec.jpg

Considering it's 25+ years old, it's stood up rather well, even survived a cat.

Currently in Port Dover, Ontario. I own and operate a company that makes specialty tools for model railroaders and have been doing so full time for 15 years now. Last year we purchased a company that makes scale stripwood, again for the model railroad hobby and working with all that wood got me really craving a project from wood.  So in a moment of impulsiveness, last month I bought a ship kit, The Corsair from OcCre.

I'm a few weeks into it and really enjoying the challenge! To be honest I have not been challenged enough with model railroading as of late and was looking for something new to do. Also, as my day job for the last 15 years has been all trains all the time, I need something different to occupy my off time.

Here is a link to my current model railroad project if you are interested...

CNJ Bronx Terminal

CNJ Bronx Terminal build on Facebook

17634578_517213181735944_5703214501424251126_n.jpg.a52d978995efacedeb300968fc1e656f.jpg

When I started the ship build I promised myself I would resist trying to improve on the kit. That lasted about 10 minutes...  Having several laser cutters and a complete scale stripwood sawmill at my disposal it wasn't long before I started replacing items in the kit. 

I made some new deck planking, with pre-drilled holes on the laser to start with. Was pretty happy with how that turned out. Also replaced the few windows in the kit from cast metal to laser cut, which looks much better. Also made some wood wheels for the cannons, didn't really like the brass wheels included in the kit.

20171115_220300.thumb.jpg.ac001e6cd580976957cc1a832c352329.jpg20171030_121859.thumb.jpg.046e260b806d54e6e28a51c0f908a07b.jpg

Pretty happy with how the planks turned out, although in hindsight I made them a bit too narrow.

20171118_204340.thumb.jpg.312a450770d52fbdc174a9b9b01d87b8.jpg

20171118_211119.thumb.jpg.759257ab3f959c23b5b7e6e3f0586c87.jpg

Laser cut wood wheels for the cannons.

The first layer of the hull is planked and am looking forward to doing the final layer.

20171119_171105.thumb.jpg.9a833a00957baff3a446dfcfe515eff8.jpg

I'm learning a great deal from this group! Some very talented modelers and models here that I'm getting a lot of inspiration from!  Looking forward to contributing in the future.

Cheers!

Tim Warris

20171030_120709.mp4

Edited by T_Warris

Hi Tim,

Welcome to MSW.  Nice work with the ship and the laser.  Do give some thought to opening a build log as you get some exposure and also help when you need it.  Logs also help others so sharing the wealth (as such) is a good thing. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Tim, Do you have a store front or just a private manufacturing facility.  If a store front, I may have to go for a road trip. Maybe April 13th next year just to keep it interesting. Welcome aboard.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum. Looks like you are off to a great start. Looks like we have something in common. I too am a model railroader and my first ship build was a Bluenose 2 as well. Am I right in guessing you own Fast Tracks?  I seen your Bronx Terminal track work. What a nightmare to build that yard, but you managed to get it done. Best of luck on your build. Cheers, Ron from Manitoba.

hello.....a big welcome from the northeast!  you'll definitely have to start a build log on her.......looks really sweet!   does your company carry scribed wood?  I used to get some from the Ambroid company before they changed over to Northeast...haven't found another place since.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Tim,

Like you,the model railroad craze kept me going for 33 years until I actually finished the layout. What a bummer that was.

Needing a new challenge, I started building Bluejackets Portland. It has taken me 18 months to get this far and I suspect

this was the easy part. The build is way over my head but I'm determined to keep going. At 77 I hope my stamina keeps up.

John

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG