Walnut or other similar uniform dark brown woods?

Hi everyone,

After a summer off, I'm looking to get back into my Morgan build.  For the waterway, I used pear stained with a dark brown stain.  Looking at it now, I think it bothers me a little in that the color is not completely uniform (close, but not exactly).  Since I'm building the model without paint, I'm regretting using pear here and want to replace it.  It will be a bit tricky in that the plankshear sits on top of a portion of it, but I think I should be able to remove at least the part that sticks out from the planksheer and replace it with a thin band of a dark brown wood that will butt against the remaining pear/planksheer.

For the waterway, I want to use a single piece that runs the full length of the hull.  At least with the pear, I found it was easier to bend a longer piece, than break it up into smaller sections where you don't have the same leverage to get the smooth curve.  I'd also use it elsewhere in the build in square type pieces, such as the base for the tryworks.  So, two quick questions:

1.  I am thinking about going with walnut, as I like the way the way it looks when oiled.  Are there other woods with a similar uniform dark brown color that are machine workable and can be bent relatively easily (having worked with ebony, everything is pretty easy to me now )?  

2.  Also, any recommendations on sellers?  I don't have a way to rip down thick pieces (only have a Byrnes thickness sander and table saw), so am looking for wood in the size we use in the hobby.  Looks like Crown Timberyard and Wood Project Source are no longer operating?  It looks like I could order a sheet from Ocooch in the size I would need, but just thought I'd see if there were any other recommendations out there.  There is a Woodcraft about a half hour drive from me that I can try too.

Thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I have had zero luck with Wood Project Source and Lumberyard. I ordered Ocooch and I am happy with their product. Woodcraft should be a good source for woods used commonly for building boxes and furniture. Rockler also has wood available.  I am having problems getting a hold of Costello Boxwood and Holly. I am going to drive over to Edensaw next week and see if the have any Holly. I’ll have to mill it myself but at least I’ll have it. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Thanks Jim.  My experience with Lumberyard wasn't very good either.  I reached out to them for African Blackwood, and I felt like it was a huge runaround and not to mention, it almost seemed like when they did actually respond to me, they tried talking me out of it.  

I'll take look at Ocooch, they seem to have a bunch of nice wood there.

If you're looking for holly and boxwood, try www.inlaybanding.com - very nice seller who was willing to take a custom order from me for ebony.  and milled sheets of it in various specifications.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike,

I have never ordered from these guys but they have some common types of wood, walnut, cherry, maple, mahogany and others in many strip sizes and sheets.

www.nationalbalsa.com.  If you have a custom cabinet maker in your area you may be able to pick up some of the scraps from walnut, cherry and maple cabinets.

Tom

Woodprojectsource is still operating and Ive been getting my wood from them of late. I think you just need a bit before they get back to you but eventually they do.  That said I am looking for dowel's and I don't think they offer that and not sure where to buy them. Bummber about crowntimbreyard.

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Why not use an aqueous aniline wood dye?

Wood Craft has pre mixed concentrates that can be mixed to

produce a continuum of possible shades.

Test it on your available wood stock to find the best compatibility and result.

With a deep penetrating dye, the grain is not hidden.

Given your location, have you checked out:

http://worldofhardwoods.com/Location.php

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks guys.  Tom thanks for the tip - I forgot they carried other woods.  Great news!

Jaager, thanks for your thoughts.  I used a General Finishes stain which goes on very nicely.  I just took another look at the waterway and it actually looks pretty good. I thought it was uneven but it looks a little better than I remembered.  Might have to think about things a bit.  World of Hardwoods is about 45 minutes away - hmm, might need to take a little trip....

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Hey Mike,

I would go to these guys - they are my wood source - first class service and product: they have a huge selection

http://hearnehardwoods.com/

Buy a larger board and take it locally to a milling service and have them dimension into standard sizes - 3/8,1/4, 3/16.  Your Brynes tools can handle these dimensions and its way more cost effective.  I have racks of Pear, Ebony and some Box enough to handle a few scratch builds.  

10 hours ago, Jaager said:

Why not use an aqueous aniline wood dye?

Wood Craft has pre mixed concentrates that can be mixed to

produce a continuum of possible shades.

Test it on your available wood stock to find the best compatibility and result.

With a deep penetrating dye, the grain is not hidden.

Given your location, have you checked out:

http://worldofhardwoods.com/Location.php

I use their dyes and they are great. The Ebony is awesome.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Chris, thanks for the recommendation!  Why didn’t I think to look at local milking operations.  Looks like there are a few in my area, including one that stocks wood we use in our hobby:

www.colonialhardwoods.com

Looks like a very good solution.  I’ll check out Hearne too.  Thank you!!!

Mike

Yeah it really is the way to go Mike - my guy here charges me 60 per hour - which is more than enough time to reduce you lumber into useable billets.  These are industrial machines - super efficient and do a way better job in less time than I would - not too mention spares me the dust.  

Good luck - Hearne has beautiful wood

That’s totally worth it.  I’d rather not have to buy a bandsaw and deal with all the dust from ripping boards down.

Ebony huh?  Did you get it from Hearne?  It’s not as bad to work with as people say, just have to use good power tools.  Are you doing the Big Belly next or one of the French 70+ gun ships?

Mike

If you are going to travel south,  take a look here:  http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/lumber-prices

The prices look good.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

Other

22 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Define “a bit” ? over two weeks equals sorry customer service in my book.

That's pretty unbelievable tbf. I miss hobbymill... sniffle

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

The dust from a bandsaw is a somewhat minor aspect.  There is a vac port.

With a cyclone trap, the vac filter does not clog nearly as often.  For me, it is

the blades. 

A table saw has finer teeth, and higher velocity, so the dust is a lot worse.

A thickness sander IS dust. 

A real advantage with a bandsaw is that if you have access to rural areas, and a

chainsaw, wood can be harvested on the hoof.  Species can be obtained that are not

available commercially.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

Other

Ah I assumed sawing bigger pieces with a bandsaw would mean more dust.

I have a Dust Deputy cyclone for my tools.  I was surprised how much dust doesn’t hit the vacuum- has to be over 95%.

Mike

For me it comes down to the trouble of breaking down a board - if I can pay someone 60 dollars to do it for me faster and better than I can who is 15 minutes away -  why not ? 

As is it I have limited time to model - I get up early to sneak an hour or 2 in if I can before the kids wake up.  I got an hour into cutting and sanding the first timber on my next build (its Le Renommee in 1/48th Mike) - before being interrupted ! 

Le Renommee is a really nice ship.  Looking forward to see your progress on it.

Mike

Mike just a few added comments. I received an order from Wood Project Source just last month. It came within 2 weeks of order placement. If you are of a mind to mill your own lumber look for a "Makers" operation in your area. You can go in and rent the machine time. Surely in metro DC there is one as we have here in Rochester NY.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joe, that's great to hear.  Thanks also for the recommendation, I'll have to look into that.  

Mike

Sorry I'm a little late but try to find a cabinet shop nearby. I work in Ft Lauderdale and found a marine cabinet maker near me that invited me to root around in their "scrap" pile anytime I want. I always offer to pay and they refuse every time. There is always some usable "scraps" of exotic wood in there. If I had a band saw I could just about go into business off of their throwaways.

Best Regards