There will be a meeting of Niagara area ship modellers this coming Sunday, December 3 at the Lee Valley Tools store, 6777 Morrison St, Niagara Falls, (Ontario) at 1:30 p.m. All interested model-makers are very welcome. There will be some work in progress on display with a show and tell (no obligation or pressure!), and a presentation on reading plans will be given. Leave yourself time to wander the store and think ahead to Christmas....

See you there!

mtaylor and JerseyCity Frankie like this

Sounds like a fun event.  Presentation on reading plans would be great to see.  And at a Lee Valley store to boot...excellent!  Wish there was something like this around here.

mtaylor and druxey like this

Pythagoras spent most of his life in the Rochester NY area an visited NOLSC at Niagara on the Lake many times. Wish I could be there.

druxey likes this

I'm hoping to attend but can't promise.  I actually do need to purchase a few things at Lee Valley for Christmas and this would be the perfect opportunity.  Hopefully I will be free to attend.

donrobinson, mtaylor and druxey like this

Below are some photos from our meeting held at Lee Valley Tools in Niagara Falls this afternoon.

It was decided to change the club name from Marine Modellers of Niagara on the Lake to Model Shipwrights of Niagara to avoid confusion with the club in Port Colborne.  A website will be launched possibly before our next meeting.

Models brought in were "The Hayling Hoy", "Bluenose II" being restored, Naval Gun from a kit, Dumas model Aligator motor boat.

Also discussed was the original "as launched" figurehead of HMS Bellerophon for which there are no images, only a description.

"Before it was damaged the figurehead represented Bellerophon as a nude figure draped in a red cloak riding Pegasus, his right arm raised, holding a javelin. The horse’s wings were spread." "The figurehead would have been painted white during its time in service. In 1814 the Navy Board approved more use of gilding and colours for figurehead decoration."

An artist's painting of Bellerophon with his spear ready to thrust while mounted on Pegasus was displayed for discussion.

The meeting ended with a short presentation on how to read ship line drawings.

Once again HMS Bellerophon was used as reference.

A PDF is attached for those interested.

Our next meeting will be January 14th, possibly at Lee Valley again.

The location is expected be confirmed next week.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

reading lines by AON - NOV 2017.pdf

donrobinson, druxey, MEDDO and 2 others like this

Looks like a great event.  Nice models.  That appears to be a huge cross section in the back of the first picture.

I really like the picture of the Bluenose, especially the sails they look old and worn. Jerry 

I just became aware of this event you folk host. if this is a regular event surely some of us from Rochester would wish to visit next year. Is there a way to keep abreast of this event timing? Thanks.

Joe (Model Shipwright Guild WNY)

Yes, it has been and will continue to be a regular event. We will post next year's schedule shortly. You folk would be very welcome to join us. We'd love to meet you. Just be aware that at Lee Valley Tools, where we often will meet, there are many, many fine tool temptations!

druxey, many of my hand tools have origin from Lee Valley. As a matter of fact they have visited Rochester and our Rochester Woodworkers Society with a wide array of woodworking tools that have found their way into my shop. Some have even made their way to my modeler's bench.  Lee Valley will be here in March again so I will try to get temptation under control before we are able to visit there. Thank you for the kind invite (even though I sort of spoke for an invite for our group). Await your posting.

Joe

mtaylor likes this

Our next meeting is on Sunday afternoon, January 14. Details are on our blog page at:

modelshipwrightsofniagara.weebly.com

Please visit (and sign up) for all you need to know! Any and all ship modelers within travel distance of Niagara are very welcome.

mtaylor and Ryland Craze like this