English Pinnace by MEDDO - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

So I have decided to throw my hat into the ring with my next project.  It was a toss up between this and the Longboat.  I decided on this one as I was able to obtain a Longboat replacement wood package in pear (from Crown Timberyard prior to their "maintenance").  I wanted to save that for when I have a bit more skill.  It was pretty interesting to learn that there are not too many builds of this kit here on MSW.  Blue Ensign, Tigersteve, Mike Y and MikeB4 and a few others are about it.  For tonight its going to be inventory desk clean up and sanding char.... Yuk!  Although there is remarkable little on this well made kit.  Hopefully it won't take 4 years like the last build.  :D

IMG_4365.thumb.jpg.80659324f0b063d1ca3fb75555f65ed6.jpg

Glad you're starting this one. You are so right- not many logs on this one. This one for me is more difficult than the longboat kit. Both great kits though. 

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I haven't started a regular kit in a very long time so we will see how it goes.  I always forget how much I hate laser char.

IMG_4366.thumb.jpg.b10cbfa1a0128dc13c1dd2ef2a54e27f.jpg

Also test fitting the rabbit...

IMG_4372.thumb.jpg.84c2aa98e22fcf300afa675e6dec66a9.jpg

Basswood is kinda fuzzy eh?

Just a dry fit and they seem to line up fairly well with little to no adjustment.  These things are pretty fragile.IMG_4373.thumb.jpg.127d45fd42a58cb16546e23050eeff4a.jpg

IMG_4375.thumb.jpg.3c3cb89d620e9b381d9233437f79abf9.jpg

Was able to get the frames glued in.  It went pretty slow but the overall run is really nice.  I used a small level to make sure they were not tilted to the side.

IMG_4382.thumb.jpg.b03b763e382c55249c8ede4feba170fe.jpg

IMG_4383.thumb.jpg.8cc5a4847bfb5d981974dba6c645703f.jpg

This weekend hopefully will get the strengthening battens in as well as the bow filler piece and maybe, just maybe the first strake.

• 2 weeks later...

This thing is so flimsy without the reinforcements.  It feels much sturdier now and when I start fairing the frames I am going to feel much better having these things in place. 

IMG_4395.thumb.jpg.5e58a307e2d597f5d7e70e18792a86bb.jpg

Well I guess I am not as gentle as I thought I was.  I knocked the tip off of one of the frames while I was fairing it.  I was wondering if I should try to shape a small (very small) replacement or will it be fine after planking?

IMG_4400.thumb.jpg.2135b3a92653993f105c3722285684ce.jpg

Looks like you need to find the piece and glue it back, if you can. Otherwise, yes, a replacement. You need a solid 'landing' for the planks later. Be extremely light on those cross-grain areas!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice build! Hope you will have more luck with thin planking strips included in the kit, it is actually easier to build with a boxwood package - thicker strips that bend more evenly with more margin for fairing.

5 hours ago, druxey said:

Looks like you need to find the piece and glue it back, if you can. Otherwise, yes, a replacement. You need a solid 'landing' for the planks later. Be extremely light on those cross-grain areas!

Very light touch indeed.  I wasn't even going across the frames but along them.  This wood is crazy soft.  I looked for the piece but I think I will have to just remake the tip from the scrap.

4 hours ago, Mike Y said:

Nice build! Hope you will have more luck with thin planking strips included in the kit, it is actually easier to build with a boxwood package - thicker strips that bend more evenly with more margin for fairing.

We will see about the kit provided wood.  I do have a nice pear replacement package for the Longboat but wanted to try to see what I could do "out of the box" on this one.  Hopefully skilling up a bit before I move on to that one.

4 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

It looks like both frames need treatment. 

Steve

The one on the left is just about the right size (maybe just a touch short).  The other non-faired side is about the same hight.

Enjoying following along on this Pinnace build...

I had been thinking of picking up a Model Shipways longboat kit and pinnace kit just to use the drawings and then the kit laser wood as patterns.  

I’m going to use castello, buxus, holly and pear for my builds as much as possible.  I moved away from basswood for model building a few years ago as I find it not strong enough for my tastes...

Cherry and maple have been my garden railroading woods of choice, for shipbuilding these perhaps have too much grain for 1:48 or smaller scales.

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Thanks Cliff.  Cherry seems nice as that is what my Halifax was made out of not sure about maple though.  This bass wood is really soft and it seems to fall apart with almost no rhyme or reason.  I have some pear and it really seems nice.

I squared off the broken tips and added a small filler piece.  You can still see the joints but it is very smooth to the touch. With a few test fittings, the planks seem to run very nicely.

IMG_4401.thumb.jpg.3bcf39006bc44f6ad1fb5c9049a53141.jpg

• 10 months later...

Work finally easing up a bit.  We went through a massive expansion basically doubling our size over the course of a few months. Back in the shipyard more soon. Here first attempt to start the planking.

More fuzzy basswood.  Camera picks up all the fuzz and dents.

IMG_0170.thumb.jpg.185abf91a1656f66a12b1d7fe23148f5.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg.8397b2357988013b8fe333d643504993.jpg

Great to see you back Michael - Pinnace looks great! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Your Pinnace is looking good.  Glad to see you back in the shipyard.  It was also great seeing you in Las Vegas at the NRG Conference.  I know you learned a lot of new modeling techniques that you will use in building your Pinnace.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks Dave and thank you Ryland. The conference was great and as always it’s a motivator and inspiration to get back in the shipyard. Next up is the garboard plank which seems to have given others quite a bit of “learning experience“. 

Garboard and first lower planks are in.  

IMG_0198.jpg.665739f928801bd463eea23b88a0f585.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg.f08c4b0c54342019193fd9cff3d11819.jpg

With just about 20-30 sec of soak in water and careful clamping and drying with heat gun you can get a fairly good bend even with basswood.

IMG_0201.jpg.9cdc848a03b5738a88def0e07adb687d.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg.8c42e57f8d4759e9b9dd430621ae58b8.jpg

gotta be careful though this thing will definitely burn the wood not to mention human flesh...

IMG_0879.JPG.6c3edda0073cc254ed7e34c1836f52da.JPG

seems symmetrical maybe a bit of gap but not enough to worry about. will be sanding/filling as needed

IMG_7079.thumb.jpg.0af0a8a24021dc0ffbaf36c636c51f10.jpg

bow view on the camera makes it look like the starboard side is higher/further but irl its almost exactly even 

IMG_0208.thumb.jpg.ba20a8428677e3096cad4b45d63edd60.jpg

Thank you Kevin.  I am learning this stuff as well.  My last few models haven't had any planking so this is basically a first for me.  

IMG_0210.thumb.jpeg.acca2674548c93b9cf2c4d5637ecb9b2.jpeg

IMG_0211.thumb.jpeg.876af2bb640c7d1e5a3084d081b7de07.jpeg

Michael - looks great!  looks like the garboard strake is perfect, you have great symmetry, and the run of the planks will be spot on.

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply