English Pinnace by MEDDO - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

Thanks Dave.  Now the real tapering begins.  At least the next ones will not have such a massive edge bend on them.

Edited by MEDDO

Just 2 more to go.  This wood is giving me angina.  If it is not splitting then its folding over when bent and it is so soft if you even look at it wrong it dents.  I guess I am getting a bit better as I need less clamps for each one.

IMG_4980.thumb.jpg.1125ac9ec5f67591a264f88efda0c710.jpg

After a bit of cleanup and a touch of sawdust/glue filling I think it will look better.  Last plank only needed the front clamp... it was a really goofy shape...

IMG_0226.thumb.jpg.654d90d1d37148ea410cdceb4ff03b90.jpg

So first planking job somewhat symmetrical.  It is going to need a few spot dust/glue fills but not too many.  Need to practice a few more times. 

IMG_0227.thumb.jpeg.69ee14a002cd0ee7f6f44049c993f62e.jpeg

IMG_0228.thumb.jpeg.c1cc88f69d69c53342da7c6d8b919db4.jpeg

So now...

To treenail or not to treenail, that is the question...

Eventually plan for wipe on poly, seal, and then painted white bottom 

Edited by MEDDO

3 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

They will barely be seen in my opinion. 

Steve

Yup.  Steve I was thinking that.  I have been going over some previous builds here (yours, BE, MikeB4, and Mike Y) and trying to decide.  Done properly they are hardly noticeable.  Done poorly they stick out like a sore thumb.  Too big or too dark...yikes...  On the other hand this is an experimental/learning build for me so at least trying on something like this will give me some good experience.  I will definitely be treenailing the Cheerful/Echo/whatever is next

Wipe on poly to the outside.  I decided not to go ahead with the treenails.  Tried a few on a scrap plank and just wasn't getting great results.  May rethink that later but for now just leave it alone.  I did spend the day removing the center tabs.  Now onto sanding and thinning out the frames

IMG_0230.jpg.2606f13f8ef791b7201d50aa56fab800.jpg

Good choice. Lots of sanding next. I was able to use my rotary tool for some of the sanding, especially at the bow and stern. You would need to be careful though. I hit this part in several sessions. It’s tedious, but very important. All the remaining work rests on these frames, which need to be very thin. 

Steve

I am pretty dangerous with the power tools.  Will need to take it slow if I decide to use it.  Probably over multiple sessions a little at a time.

Steve did you use a drum attachment or a disk?

Exactly Ben.  I knocked off the big chunks left over from the removal and promptly ditched the power.  Been using 180 and it seems to be going well so far.  Along with CA that thing is just not something I want to use.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress.  Made a template from the plans and then adjusted it to sit low.  Had to reinforce the backside of platform to prevent sagging to the edge glued boards but it came out ok i think.  The last few times the wipe-on-poly has seemed to come out of the can a bit thick and slow?  Kinda darker color as well.  Can this stuff go bad?  I have had it for a bunch of years.  Doesn't seem to be splotchy or anything.  For now will keep using as it doesn't seem to be doing anything bad.

IMG_0277.thumb.jpg.a84fbb06f43207c8f0c7fa17ae223d10.jpg

IMG_0278.thumb.jpg.b5e52852d4d0d0b421e21639e4d22b28.jpg

• 3 months later...

So I am installing the risers and want to start getting some of the paint in.  I grabbed some of my daughters paint and tried it out.  These are not mixed as I am a newbie and would like (at least for this build) to use something straight out of the tube.  Mainly because I have no confidence in consistently mixing the same color over multiple points in the build.

The contenders...

On the left is Alizarin Crimson Hue: horizontal plank has 2 coats with a light sand in between and you can see the difference in coats on the group of planks

Middle is Cadnium Free Red: single coat with the single coat of the crimson below it

on the right is Primary red: yuk 

IMG_0435.jpg.6a4a6827d5d9f7625b8bc86d73e77eaf.jpg

Primary red is out... it is very pink in real life.

The cadmium free red seems pretty orange in the shop lights

Although the crimson seems dark I am leaning toward this color.

May need to visit the art store to see what else is available.  Daughter uses mostly the heavy body paint and the soft body may work better at this scale...

1 hour ago, Tigersteve said:

Yes- I think you will need to thin those down with water. It won’t change the color. You will just need many coats. 

Steve

Yea I was planning to do many thinned coats of whatever color I choose

49 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Remember the primary red pigment of red ochre which was by far the most common red paint was iron oxide. Bright red isn't correct.

I was leaning toward a darker hue and this just makes it easier :) Thanks!

Lots of templates to get the correct shape for the seat back.  

50622279-7E0A-4866-8ACC-38F728A12441.thumb.jpeg.450803e924b8c308c51b9e9bb9705106.jpeg

I also started painting and the photos seem darker than in person but it looks ok

B098DA9F-2ED5-4662-89B9-4B8BCDA40518.thumb.jpeg.1f39102c8954071c56d9fc1ccf8e049d.jpeg

Still need to to sand and recoat a few more times 

Edited by MEDDO