Oostends schipje (Ostend shrimper) by G.L. - scale 1:20, building first POF Edition 2

Part 1: Introduction

A couple of weeks ago I lost the entire building log of my shrimper. The loss is probably caused by a wrong manipulation of myself, I am not quite aware what exactly happened. It is a bit a bore because I started the log already more than 2 years ago and my ship was beginning to gain final shape.

Fortunately, I kept a back up of all my posted reports and pictures. In consultation with the forum administrators, I decided to repost all my contributions and rebuild my log to the stage in which my model currently is.

My excuses to the people who followed my project, they must have some patience because it might take some time before I arrive again the current state.

For the people who did not follow my log, the picture below is showing what my project is about. I presented my unfinished model for the first time in the model discussion of my modeling club (https://dedissel.weebly.com/) last October. I am standing at the left side of the picture, the man to the right is the discussion moderator, a very experienced modeler.

This time I intend to divide my log into chapters and to number all my reports. That will make it easier to refer to previous posts.

0.JPG

Restart of the log, originally sep 2015:

I visit the forum already  during some months and I am amazed by the beautiful masterpieces that you all make  and by the skills you all have. I realize that I have a lot to learn before I fit well in your company. But I do not want to  take only advantage of your building logs; it is time for me to start a first own project and to share my experiences on the forum.

As I am an novice in the world of ship modeling, I want to start with a simple vessel. I will build an 'Oostends schipje'. That is how the fishing sloop is named in Flemish. Literally translated it means 'little ship of Ostend'. I believe that 'Ostend shrimper' is a more convenient translation. The sloop was used from the mid 19th till the mid 20th century to fish grey North Sea shrimps along the Flemish (Belgian) coast. Most of the boats sailed from and were build in the port of Ostend.

I bought the plans in the modeling club of which I am member. The drawings are for building a plank on bulkhead (POB) model, giving the shapes of 10 frames. However, I want to build a plank on frame (POF) model, so I will have some additional drawing work to determine the shapes of the remaining frames, 30 in total, the keel and the stems.

1.jpg

Edited by G.L.

Part 2: Lofting the frames

Flemish fishermen were built with frames of two layers oak, each 10 cm thick. The frames were spaced with 40 cm on the centers. So the first thing to do, is drawing the frames on the profile and the half breath plan. The forward 4 frames are cant frames.

2.jpg

Next thing to do, is lofting all frames on a grid. Therefore I transfer the measurements of the forward end of each frame on each waterline and each buttock line with a divider to the grid.

3.jpg

Welcome back G.L.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I didn't yet mention the dimensions of the Ostend shrimper:

-        LOA: ± 13 m

-        Beam: ± 4 m

-        Depth: ± 1.8 m

-        Draft:  forward:          ±1.3 m
            amidships:      ±1.6 m
            aft:                  ±1.9 m

10.jpg

Edited by G.L.
added picture

All the square frames are drawn.
For the cant frames another technique is to be used. I place the grid with its centerline touching the centerline of the keel on the fore end of the frame and the waterlines on the grid in parallel with the cant frame.

11.jpg

Afterwards I transfer the intersections of the frame with the different waterlines in parallel with the centerline of the grid to the waterlines on the grid. The black lines are the intersections of the back of the frame, the red lines  the front.

12.JPG

Part 3: Making keel and stems

Time to get to work now. The wood that I use is provided by my garden. Many years ago I planted a cherry tree in the garden, when the tree started to bear fruit, it were plums instead of cherries. Two years ago I made finally the decision and removed the tree and replaced it by a real cherry tree. The wood is dry now and ready to be sawn and planed into planks.

Remark  afterwards: After completing stems, keel and frames I made some samples of the finishing color for the planking an discovered that the plum wood did not give a finishing result that I liked. Therefore for the planking of the hull I changed to oak, the wood which was in reality used to build the Flemish shrimpers.

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

I made the keel, the stem and the stern simultaneously but I will deal with one after the other in this report for clearness' sake.

The keel is made in two parts with a keyed hook scarf in the middle. I saw the scarf with the fretsaw. The scarf is keyed with two wedges. The two parts of the keel are glued together. Once dry, I saw the wedges along the keel and sand them.

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

Now the rabbet for the lowest hull plank has to be cut. The angle of that plank varies along the different stations. I make a scraper for every 5 stations between the stations 9 and 26 and scrape the rabbet along the keel changing the scraper every 5 stations.

25.JPG

26.jpg

The stem is fit with at tap for a strong fastening with the keel. Although the picture is hazy, you can see the rabbet for the hull planks. On the next picture the stem is provisionally set on the keel.

31.JPG

31a.JPG

Determining the shape of the knee  is a little more difficult as for the apron because the knee is round. I take for the upper shape the lower profile of the apron and for the after shape the profile of the first station. I use the sand disk to give the knee shape mostly at random between the two profiles.

35.JPG

36.JPG