New to this forum

Hi all, my name is Art, coming to you from Kentucky, USA.  I'm originally form Arizona where I built what seems to be a right of passage, the REVELL 1:96 USS Constitution.  That was quite some time back in my high school days.  My mother would not let me take that ship from her house when I moved out (which was back in 1980).  Unfortunately that ship did not survive my young nephew..

After my mother's passing, I decided I would get back into the hobby.  I am currently working on the Black Pearl, I won't mention manufacturer, most of you know why.  Wish I had found this site before that purchase, but it is what it is.  Instructions are pretty bad, a lot of errors on the rigging, etc., but it's coming alone just fine with a few modifications.  It's been a fun build and I am looking forward to finishing it soon.

I've have the MS2040 USS Constitution on deck and will start it once I complete the Black Pearl for my wife.  Looking forward to borrowing a few ideas from some very talented Connie builders like xken, usetosail, geoff matson, modeler12, captainsteve & jsgerson just to name a few.

Great forum, so much information between here and NRG.  Glad I stumbled upon it, so much stuff still to learn...

Edited by Cpt Jack Sparrow

Art

Current build: "The Black Pearl" in 1:50. 

On the shelf: USS Constitution by Model Shipways (MS2040)

It would be nice to know the maker of the kit he is working on so some of us newer folks don't make the same mistake.   I am just getting started on the Endeavor by Corral I, thinks.   A friend just gave me a new model of the Constitution which was a new kit in 1940, but never opened, that will be my next model to build.

Ed Meyer

9 minutes ago, Ed Meyer said:

It would be nice to know the maker of the kit he is working on so some of us newer folks don't make the same mistake.   I am just getting started on the Endeavor by Corral I, thinks.   A friend just gave me a new model of the Constitution which was a new kit in 1940, but never opened, that will be my next model to build.

Ed, I thought Chuck had written something up about which pirated companies are not allowed on this site, but I can't seem to find the post.  Maybe Chuck can help out.  It's from a company out of China.  What that experience has taught me was to do a little more research on kits before considering the purchase.  There's some folks out there that say this particular kit is not pirated but the fact that this company does pirating is enough for me not to do business with them again.  I believe one of Chucks very own plans were pirated by this company.

Art

19 minutes ago, Ed Meyer said:

Ed,, I sent you a PM.  Will gladly PM anyone interested on who NOT to buy from

Art

The list can be found here - just click on it and you can see the official up-to-date listing of the prohibited manufacturers.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

4 hours ago, Ed Meyer said:

A friend just gave me a new model of the Constitution which was a new kit in 1940, but never opened, that will be my next model to build.

Are you saying the kit is 77 years old?  That should be interesting.  Who made the kit (if you don't mind me asking)? 

The USS Constitution has always been a favorite ship of mine.  With any luck I'll get to visit her next year.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm also a big fan of PotC.  It's actually pretty hard to find a decent looking wooden Black Pearl kit.  Amati makes one, but I wasn't too happy with the way it looked.  I've changed a lot of the Black Pearl Kit I'm working on now simply because I didn't like the manufacturers design.  I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out so far, since this is may first wooden POB build.  Most importantly so is my wife.  When I told her I was thinking picking up ship building, that's what she wanted.  I of course wanted the Connie. 

I'm actually glad my wife was so insistent on The Black Pearl.  I wanted to start into this hobby a few years back but it was real hard to find a wooden Black Pearl Kit.  Revell has a plastic kit, but I've already done a plastic version of the Constitution.  I wanted my next build to be a wooden kit.  Then, earlier this year my mother passed away.  After the funeral we got to talking about my Connie that Mom wouldn't let me take out of the house.  That's when I decide this would be the year to get back into it and as a tribute to my mother, I would build the Connie again, this time in wood.  I finally found a Black Pearl kit i thought was decent and found the Connie on sale.  I got my wife to agree to let me do both.

I can only hope my Connie turns out as good as some of the ones I've seen on here.

Edited by Cpt Jack Sparrow

Art

Hello Art 

:sign:

On 12/6/2017 at 8:03 AM, geoff said:

I think you are my 1000th. posting since I joined MSW.

Congrats Geoff  !!:cheers: 

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans