Virginia 1819 by SardonicMeow - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:41 - first plank on bulkhead build

I looked for other parts I could add before putting on a coat of polyurethane.  The first are the extra planks on the floor of the helm area.  I created a template so that I would have perfect spacing between each piece.

virginia_build_log_15_01.jpg.25034ee9c3ac5dc3ec67aeff3275f2d2.jpg

I also added the hawse pieces to the bow.  They were soaked in hot water and I tried to bend them to add the necessary slight curve.  However, the wood ended up splitting.  In hindsight, I should have bent the original long piece of wood before cutting it into the separate pieces.  To cover up the problem, I added a piece of the mahogany veneer to each hawse piece.

virginia_build_log_15_02.jpg.87387c4a9cd88e4fbfd986b725e18c5c.jpg

The kit does not come with a stand for the model.  I had a good number of the pieces used for the first hull planking left, so I used them to create a slipway for the model to stand on.

virginia_build_log_15_03.jpg

Peter

Completed build: Virginia 1819 from Artesania Latina

In progress: Sultana

Here are some more little pieces for the deck.  I tried to challenge myself by creating replacements in wood for several of the metal parts.  The originals and replacements can be seen in the pictures.

virginia_build_log_16_01.jpg.052d7eaf3e3d6f7f2181088ba82da6b3.jpgvirginia_build_log_16_02.jpg.06555fa328f497c4938cfa540ca255f6.jpgvirginia_build_log_16_03.jpg.051c2b9eb4c52f1cdfeb36f87e0ac3f5.jpgvirginia_build_log_16_04.jpg.5a056fba4ddf7542f6b22b2c6ba9b32d.jpg

I placed various parts on the model to see how it would look at this point.

virginia_build_log_16_05.jpg.b63cba843ff11ed51acb649e40ae8a9b.jpg

Peter

Over the weekend I gave the hull and other assembled pieces a coat of polyurethane.

While waiting for the polyurethane to dry, I worked on tapering the masts, bowsprit, boom, and gaffs.  I am grateful for the strength of the wood provided in the kit for the masts, as the dowels would certainly have snapped if they were of a lesser wood.  The kit provides metal pieces for the boom and gaff jaws, but I decided to create wooden replacements.  The original metal part can be seen in the photo.

virginia_build_log_17_01.jpg.d8c7bc3894aeb6518eafdad57ea18ba4.jpg

Next I addressed the rudder.  The transom, as I built it, juts out in such a way that the rudder will be too far from the stern post.  I think this has been a problem mentioned in every build log for this kit that I have read through.

virginia_build_log_17_02.jpg.4beaacf9ed378f2ebf3ca2c2819b541e.jpg

To fix it, I glued an extra piece of wood to the top of the rudder piece, then sanded it down so that the rudder piece would curve in toward the stern post.

virginia_build_log_17_03.jpg.170f71842b668faf9ac8aaa920faffa1.jpg

After many checks and adjustments, I attached the hinges and mounted the rudder onto the model.

virginia_build_log_17_04.jpg.99489b26d2dafa259c920d9a12db5d6e.jpg

Peter

I cut out the required stanchions, one set of 38 at 14mm for the forward railings and 20 at 17mm for the aft railings.  A jig made it easy to cut pieces of equal size.  Starting at the bow, I glued the stanchions in place, using the spacer pictured below for even spacing.  In spite of the proper spacing, I only used 34 of the shorter stanchions.

virginia_build_log_18_01.jpg.a5d789ff752eb496803584ef915054b6.jpg

Even though I did my best to keep each stanchion of equal height, it was necessary to sand them down to create an even surface for the railings.  After gluing the railings on, I was unhappy with how the railing piece at the bow curved upwards, so I removed it (breaking off a few stanchions in the process), and sanded things down even further at the bow so that the bow railing would lie more flat.

The channels were also glued on at this point.

virginia_build_log_18_02.jpg.99699c66bf29ede0a56f5bfd4b627065.jpg

While checking the railing height, I noticed on the plans that there will be a line running from the bowsprit bitts, over the top of the railing, to the end of the bowsprit.  Even though I lowered the railing a little, it was clear that this line would be obstructed by the railing.  Soon it became clear that I had made a mistake weeks ago by gluing the stem too low.  As it was, the bowsprit would lie nearly horizontal.  With much anxiety, I cut off the end of the stem, fashioned a new one, and glued it in place.

virginia_build_log_18_03.jpg.d2f1dd944ad2337706431cfd93f4cfcb.jpg

With the major surgery on the stem complete, I gave the model another coat of polyurethane.  After that, I could finally start attaching various pieces of deck furniture and eyebolts to the deck.

virginia_build_log_18_04.jpg.9c2af4d71e3faffad07cf19ffb2afed2.jpg

I realize that I have hit another major milestone: all the woodwork is done.  Almost all the work from this point forwards is rigging.

Peter

These images show the assembly of the carronade.

First, eyebolts were added.  I matched the picture in the instructions, but later discovered that the instructions omit an eyebolt that goes on the end of the carriage.

virginia_build_log_19_01.jpg.3f683f1d9013dfee7aaa4e180dbbc635.jpg

I fashioned a wooden quoin to replace the metal one from the kit.

virginia_build_log_19_02.jpg.ef05b51a92cc14e4e44372e118299626.jpg

The carronade was attached to the carriage and the recoil rope added.  Blocks were attached to the appropriate eyebolts.  As an experiment, I used cloth covered wire to strop the blocks, rather than the kit-supplied steel wire.  It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.

virginia_build_log_19_03.jpg.e0f1cf4611f7d0d71111593ec7ce7202.jpg

Lines were run and everything was added to the deck.  I tried several different ways of making rope coils, which is why they don't quite match.

virginia_build_log_19_04.jpg.e067738e28efe073b2de6c994d2067e0.jpg

After all the glue was dry, I realized that the carronade is aimed through the shrouds.  Ugh.  We'll have to imagine that it was in the process of being swiveled, because it will be impossible to correct without causing serious damage to the model.

Peter

I am completing the final details on the deck.  Here are the anchors.

The idea of lashing the anchors and stocks together with the light line was taken from Matt763's build log.

virginia_build_log_20_01.jpg.06136d72a0e4a6ff8be073e31e441898.jpg

I created chainplates by twisting lengths of cloth covered wire away from the deadeyes.  However, I didn't how they looked, so I removed them and found some chains, which were attached and secured by brass pins.

virginia_build_log_20_02.jpg.1c931e35d693aca1121db6717bd81262.jpg

I added some line to hold the tiller in place.  In hindsight, I should have kept the lines more slack.  Blocks were added at the stern which will accept the boom sheet lines.

virginia_build_log_20_03.jpg.2f6ecdc430cda0dc8ea53dff2363ecb5.jpg

All my time at this point has been spent trying to figure out how to run each line of rigging.

Peter

All the standing rigging was completed over the weekend.  The necessary blocks and mast hoops were added to the bowsprit and masts, then the standing rigging lines were run.

virginia_build_log_21_01.jpg.148cf92723c75fcffed233700d1b144a.jpg

In order to have a consistent spacing of the deadeyes on the shrouds, I put three brass pins through a wooden block matching the pattern of the deadeye holes.  Then I put a deadeye on the pins, and sat the block on the ship's railing.  I attached the shroud to the deadeye so that it would be secured at the same height above the railing.

virginia_build_log_21_02.jpg.0b537fa203f505608f27c4160ffcc6e2.jpg

One set of secured shrouds is pictured below.

virginia_build_log_21_03.jpg.c0847be2ca9194c5ad8f479e8495fd4e.jpg

Peter

6 hours ago, nikbud said:

Nice work, and fast! I like the slipway you have made. I was wondering how I was going to display my virginia, the problem is now solved, thanks!

I had lots of leftover pieces of the wood used for the first planking.  Since the kit doesn't come with a stand, it was the best use I could find for them.

Peter

I am almost ready to start the running rigging.  I was very disappointed to find that the kit instructions basically say "We're not going to tell you where each line goes, just look at the (completely inadequate) pictures."  With no outside help, I might have given up at this point.

Thankfully, MSW user Trufo has posted some detailed diagrams of how each line runs.  After studying those diagrams at length, plus some help from the folks in the rigging forum, I have a plan for how to run each line.  I am posting the plan in detail here, in case it is of value to future builders of this model.

First, here is a link to Trufo's diagrams.  The numbers I use below directly correspond to the numbers in the diagrams.

Here is my enumeration of the rigging lines.  As a novice ship builder who didn't know luff from leech two weeks ago, I can't promise that everything here is technically or historically accurate, but this is what I've been able to work out.

1. jib halliard - Starts at a becket on a single forward-facing block at the top of the foremast, through a single block at the head of the jib sail, back through the starting block, down to belay on the port bowsprit bitt.

2. jib downhaul - Starts at the head of the jib sail, runs down channelled through the jib sail hanks, through a single block at the end of the bowsprit, then aft to belay on the starboard bowsprit bitt.

3. jib sheet - Starts from the clew of the jib sail, runs aft to belay on the upper bar between the bowsprit bitts.

4. fore peak halliard - Starts at the end of the foresail gaff, through a single aft-facing block at the top of the foremast, through a single block at the center of the foresail gaff, through a lower aft-facing single block at the top of the foremast, down to belay on an eyebolt at the base of the foremast.

5. main peak halliard - Starts at the end of the mainsail gaff, through a single aft-facing block at the top of the mainmast, through a single block at the center of the mainsail gaff, through a lower aft-facing single block at the top of the mainmast, down to belay on an eyebolt at the base of the mainmast.

6. Not a rigging line, this refers to the attachment of the luff edge of the foresail to the foremast by the mast hoops.

7. Not a rigging line, this refers to the attachment of the head edge of the foresail to the foresail gaff.

8. foresail sheet - Starts from the horse near the cargo hatch, up through a double block attached to the clew corner of the foresail, down through a single block attached to the horse, up through the double block again, down to the the opposite end of the horse from the start.

9. Not a rigging line, this refers to the attachment of the luff edge of the mainsail to the mainmast by the mast hoops.

10. Not a rigging line, this refers to the attachment of the head edge of the mainsail to the mainsail gaff.

11. mainsail outhaul - Starts at the clew corner of the mainsail, through a single block at the end of the boom, to the middle of the boom where it is wrapped around and secured.

12. mainsail tack - Starts at the tack corner of the mainsail, down to an eyebolt on the jaws of the boom.

13. foresail vangs - (One port, one starboard) Using the standing rigging thread, a line is run from the aft half of the foresail gaff down about 2/3rds of the way to the deck, ending with a single block.  Using running rigging thread, start on the railing, up through the single block, back down to the railing and secure.

14. mainsail vangs - (One port, one starboard) Using the standing rigging thread, a line is run from the aft half of the mainsail gaff down about 2/3rds of the way to the deck, ending with a single block.  Using running rigging thread, start on the railing, up through the single block, back down to the railing and secure.

15. boom sheet - (One port, one starboard) Starts at a becket on a single block near the end of the boom, down to a single block near the tiller, up through the starting single block, down to belay on an eyebolt near the tiller.

16. fore throat halliard - Starts at a becket on a double block near the top of the foremast, down through a double block near the foresail gaff jaws, up through the starting block, down through the lower block, up through the starting block, down to belay at the base of the foremast.

17. main throat halliard - Starts at a becket on a double block near the top of the mainmast, down through a double block near the mainsail gaff jaws, up through the starting block, down through the lower block, up through the starting block, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

18. mainsail upper brail - (One port, one starboard)  Starts at the leech edge of the mainsail, through single, double, and triple blocks along the mainsail gaff, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

19. mainsail middle brail - (One port, one starboard)  Starts at the leech edge of the mainsail, through double and triple blocks along the mainsail gaff, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

20. mainsail lower brail - (One port, one starboard)  Starts at the leech edge of the mainsail, a triple block along the mainsail gaff, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

21. boom topping lift - (One port, one starboard) Starts at the end of the boom, through a single block at the mainmast trestle trees, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

22. foresail upper brail - (One port, one starboard)  Starts at the leech edge of the foresail, through single, double, and triple blocks along the foresail gaff, down to belay at the base of the foremast.

23. foresail middle brail - (One port, one starboard)  Starts at the leech edge of the foresail, through double and triple blocks along the foresail gaff, down to belay at the base of the foremast.

24. foresail lower brail - (One port, one starboard)  Starts at the leech edge of the foresail, a triple block along the foresail gaff, down to belay at the base of the foremast.

25. Secures the tiller arm to eyebolts at the port and starboard sides of the helm area.

26. Not a rigging line, this refers to the attachment of the luff edge of the topsail to the topmast by the mast hoops.

27. topsail halliard - Starts at the head of the topsail through a single aft-facing block at the top of the topmast, then down to belay at the base of the mainmast

28. topsail tack - Starts at the tack of the topsail, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

29. topsail sheet - Starts from the clew of the topsail, through a single upward-facing block at the aft end of the mainsail gaff, through a single downward-facing block at jaws end of the mainsail gaff, down to belay at the base of the mainmast.

30. flag halliard - Starts from the starboard railing just in front of the mainmast shrouds, up to a starboard-facing single block at the top of the topmast, down to secure on the same railing.

The pictures below show the locations where lines will be run on the masts and spars.

number - indicates which rigging line passes through that location
SB - single block
DB - double block
TB - triple block
loop - A loop of wire is attached to this point; a line will be started by tying it to the loop
(becket) - There is a becket on the block; a line will be started by tying it to the becket
(P&S) - There are two blocks, one port and one starboard

mainmast.jpg.4b29e5fba51788cb450d50decd4db350.jpgforemast.jpg.ed1189da492b06c9cedbe39ba991475c.jpgtopmast.jpg.1fc925164c7451c72ca11d9e751e1c7e.jpgbowsprit.jpg.1905c1b20f1bd7b963201f1ca81a609e.jpgspars.jpg.15fc41d832e103d51319ebdc9f8f45e6.jpg

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I made sails!

I was a bit disappointed with the loose stitching and wobbly edges of the kit-provided sails, and wondered if I could do better.  In the picture below, the originals are above and my replacements are below.

virginia_build_log_23_01.jpg.fe1c8144ad33ad14ce47e99bf804fd4b.jpg

I chose a sheer cotton / linen blend fabric.  It was difficult to work with, particularly as the cut edges would fray easily.  Using an idea from this article on the Lauck Street Shipyard site, I stretched the fabric over an old picture frame, then brushed on a coating of diluted white glue and allowed it to dry.  The stiffened fabric was much easier to work with.

After a lot of struggles with creating clean edges, I finally found success after acquiring a narrow rolled hem presser foot for the sewing machine.  I created each sail by drawing its outline onto the fabric, then drawing a second line 1/4 inch out from each edge.  (The narrow hem presser foot creates a hem of doubled fabric 1/8 inch in width.)  I cut the fabric out along the 1/4 inch line, then folded and pressed it at the original line.  By feeding the fabric with the fold always at the right edge of the entrance to the presser foot, as in the picture, I was able to get a perfect hem (usually) all the way around.

virginia_build_log_23_02.jpg.e5688d374cb3dbd2631bf8135c817f61.jpg

The next challenge was sewing parallel seams across each sail.  I wanted to avoiding leaving any marks on the fabric, and my wife suggested that I use tape as a guide.  I tried using some Tamiya masking tape I had on hand, and by a happy coincidence, I discovered that the width of the tape (6mm) exactly matched the distance from the left edge of the standard sewing machine presser foot to the needle.

virginia_build_log_23_03.jpg.b424f03d31342346ef345a44f5cf835c.jpg

The final results weren't perfect, but not too bad.  In hindsight, I should have done the sewing with a darker thread, so that the seams would show up better.

Peter

At last everything is coming together.  The first sail I attached was the jib.  In the picture, you can also see how I pre-laid a number of rope coils around the masts.  I hope that I can secure the lines from above in such a way that they appear to connect to the rope coils.

virginia_build_log_24_01.jpg.1f2eca07f546ef75744af7de93233791.jpg

The foresail and mainsail were attached to their respective gaffs.  I realized that the brails could be run before the sails were attached to the ship, so I added those at this point.

virginia_build_log_24_02.jpg.48947c3f004e8076af3b85b1ece8c078.jpg

And the foresail and mainsail are in place.  There are a number of small issues, but the worst is that the foot of the foresail is long enough that it goes aft of the mainmast, but the bar that that foresail sheets attach to is forward of the mainmast.  My replacement sail is the same size as the kit-supplied sail, so it is a flaw of the kit.

virginia_build_log_24_03.jpg.0aa04c391d50d17e9a916074ef222dbd.jpg

Peter

Rigging was adjusted and tape was used to apply tension to the lines.  With the lines secured in this way, a drop of CA glue was used to hold each line in place, and the excess material was cut off.

virginia_build_log_25_01.jpg.175b8e408b30ae85e5f4eaa058726e97.jpg

Rope bundles were added at various points where lines were secured.

virginia_build_log_25_02.jpg.e13b8f962a584a8bb6e00f97b13279de.jpg

Put a flag on her and she's done.

virginia_build_log_25_03.jpg.7bea30771c5ac31c407b01f88854c1b8.jpg

Some shots of the completed model.

virginia_build_log_25_04.jpg.64e7d76a4555ceaa9a0a8bd1510efc9c.jpgvirginia_build_log_25_05.jpg.123980c472d7dd3ef2a0646c2827f2c6.jpgvirginia_build_log_25_06.jpg.a02705fb896e35138f638cca6964ce4a.jpgvirginia_build_log_25_07.jpg.0d540c3f5916e7fed696505f4fd9da02.jpgvirginia_build_log_25_08.jpg.12f80e9c7b26d0ca831acbe6081744e9.jpgvirginia_build_log_25_09.jpg.7a0415c2659cafa46fdbe8a962e58322.jpg

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice job  lots of good idea's to use on any model.

Seems to me that all the kits seem to be lacking in the instruction department :-).

I have looked and been through many different build logs form many different builds. I am glad they are short and instructions Lots of awsome builds out there

• 11 months later...

Very nice build! 

I am also building this model and I have the same problem with the plans. Could you please send me the .pdf plans? I would download it from Artesania Latina's webpage but sadly, it has closed down. 

Thanks!

Stay safe. 

My models: 

Artesania Latina's H.M.S Bounty's Jolly Boat

Constructo's Carmen 

Artesania Latina's San Francisco Cross-Section

Working on:

Constructo's La Flore (first "big" ship I make)