T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - Billings - 1:30- finished

so......as I mentioned in an earlier post,  the two stern blocks are in place.  the adjustment made to the bulwarks came out well.

5a564531a36f9_1.jpg.cc315fe9ec0761bc64cf7c0f0ffb49e2.jpg

I noticed the grain is running differently on the starboard side block......I changed that before it had time to dry.  when the time comes to trim them down to the point where I can sand them to shape,  this will be to my benefit.   more sanding was done along the rest of the hull.......this got rid of more imperfections and cleaned up along the bulwarks some more.

5a5646741ff6d_2.jpg.fe3fcaf026f688baabdb90f2fe010c63.jpg

5a56467fd25cf_3.jpg.b8e5f0f6dbbb935f995a57073b0667c4.jpg

the port side has more fill work than the starboard side.

5a5646f465072_4.jpg.60e22dae26601d36ac06f2b50bf33ac7.jpg

the hull really isn't too bad....compared to some that I've done before.   the blocks have been trimmed and sanded.....came out quite well . :) 

5a56476c5c26d_5.jpg.63e29aa306f0607d938dcf5561ab7695.jpg

now it the time for filler........I went over the entire outer hull.   it sands quick.......I'll be removing most of it,  without taking any more of the wood.

5a56480572a27_6.jpg.a2381ffaf00c2090a79d606bda035ed0.jpg

I'll let this set for the rest of the day,  so it can fully dry :)     elbow grease time tomorrow ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You can really see the shape appearing now - lovely work - doesn't look like you'll need too much elbow grease - just a small tin, perhaps? I've got a soft spot for this hull shape, because it was the first boat my father built (a Mary Ann Billings), so had a big effect on my wanting to start the hobby!

Looking forward to seeing it all sanded down again. Those stern blocks look perfect. You'll be painting before you know it.

thanks for the good word Rob....I've built the Mary Ann as well  :)    the shape and contour of this hull carries over in at least two {or three} other Billing kits.  I've also cloned a couple of hulls from the parts panels {of the Mary Ann},  to build other models.   I just got done sanding off the filler.......only three places that I want to refine before paint.   glad to have you following along......I hope you enjoy  :) 

Thanks Kees!   so good to have you look'in in.  hop'in it get nicer when I get paint on her ;) 

thanks alos for all the likes  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

OK.........we have drum roll!   90% of the sanding is done.......there are a few tiny imperfections.  I will take care of the tiny cracks and gaps at paint time,  which won't be too much longer now.   something I realized last night........there is no engine.....no prop!   I was thinking of giving 'er one.....but all I have in my inventory,  is a 34 mm two blade prop....too large for this model.  I failed to get any pictures of the finished sanding......the hull went into the paint booth too fast :)    the hull is still wet.

5a5779b258700_1.jpg.dc02930af57950454960c8b61a734e51.jpg

5a5779c1c5deb_2.jpg.8f2f375385c49c3ff984a36bebca0350.jpg

5a5779ccc5ffe_3.jpg.885a86600eb26b3f3986e75c5122cac3.jpg

the first passes,  I had to wipe 'er down......too slow on the stroke and had runs.   then I found out that this was a gloss paint.....no matter.   by the time the hull goes for the color,  I will sand 'er with a fine paper to hopefully get a glass finish.   there's a few things I want to do before that happens....rudder,  rub rails and the outer stuff.   my usual next step at this time is to assemble the stand.

5a577b516c890_4.jpg.de6ab95f145b80bc3c2b74c94f4d4f86.jpg

not bad for having the glue bottle land on it :D   .....don't ask how......even  made the admiral jump!  the use of gloss paint lengthened the drying time.....took all night to cure enough to handle.   I did manage to drill the rudder holes though and start to assemble the rudder,  but Gibbs wanted to go watch TV and wouldn't let it go until I complied.   not that the admiral hasn't voiced her opinion,  but I now have a cutting mat,  so I don't hack up the table top.  I still have the one from the AmericA build {I think}.....I'll bring that one to the table as well.  the hull was a tad bit tacky when I brought 'er to the table.

5a577e3f50c73_5.jpg.ab1dafb098c5c4b2b35a660616bb8cab.jpg

5a577e4de2a9b_6.jpg.81542060352b166d750d4024856dab14.jpg

5a577e573ae5e_7.jpg.eca0c68dba8ee88a1ae4bf0aaf0cfbde.jpg

I also cut some wedges of wood to strengthen the corner joints on the stand.  I still need to paint it and put some felt in the cradle.  

5a577ee9400ba_8.jpg.ade225900179d816e4651cb0f8fa806d.jpg

I'll make a plaque badge for it too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Samson :)   thanks for the likes as well! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence....the hull is always the worst part of the project {to me,  anyway}.    if it goes south,  what have you to base the model on?   happy to say that the hull came out well,  and now I'm on to the "what can I do to this hull" part of the project.   I've already come to the realization that this boat doesn't have an engine or prop......I though to add this in,  but I don't have the parts.  keen to note that the prop I do have comes from a 1:33 scale boat,  and this one is 1:30.....there is a difference in the size of these two scales......too much for the interchange.  I'm not going to stop and order parts.

thanks for the kind word for the admiral......yes,  she is back up to speed.  in fact,  she got her way yesterday.......she's been wanting to get a new entertainment center for the living room...the old one is open to dust collection and she's tired of cleaning it.   I haven't liked many that she's shown me.......I hate pre fab furniture and their construction looks weak.   we went to best buy yesterday to see if replacement legs could be purchased for our TV......I expressed my doubts,  but she thought they could be purchased separately....*sure* ;)    we not only bough a suitable substitute for the legs....but a cabinet that fed her Frankenstein too!

5a58d5f873bb2_oldcenter.jpg.7657f8958306e942f55a44945e5b5c0e.jpg

cabinet.jpg.a7ad281c30e055b569f77d20a7930f1c.jpg

sorry if I digress.........if I didn't show pictures,  the swing'in bachelors here might not understand........only those,  who are veterans of matrimony would ;)   I'm happy, if she's happy  :) 

thanks again Lawrence.........you asked! :ph34r: *****fade to music "mission Impossible"*******

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

before I got pulled away to participate in the  "great entertainment center switcheroo"  I did manage to install the rudder and half of the deck margins.   as with most Billing boats models,  the gungeon parts are merely small pieces of mahogany glued to the sides of the rudder and shaft,  to make it look good.   I substituted this with thin brass strip.

5a58d92e85774_1.jpg.c985814eb4b3be7a288351924329df7c.jpg

holes were drilled in the brass strip,  to accept simulated bolts,  which I used the cut off heads from 10 mm brads.   the gungeons are not cemented to the shaft yet.

5a58d9d246ef6_2.jpg.90d0e796ba883a44eaa8991ec36b8633.jpg

the shaft was pushed through the shoe hole,  through the gungeons,  and then cemented into the hole drilled into the underside of the stern.

5a58da218ee7e_3.jpg.b0d4badad4ae060b803f798036b17331.jpg

this is when I realized that there was no prop in the kit........it looks like it needs something  ;)    I was itch'in to see how the margins would work out.......I got one side in place.   once I get the other side in place,  I'll trim where needed,  and add a bow and stern plate.....this will make planking even more easier ;)   I hope to get more done today.   

5a58dbc5f03c2_4.jpg.88620b0db69075f06d6c0e1f916246eb.jpg

I've been in the 'plastic room' also,  working on an ailing Batmobile.......the body won't fit correctly,  due to an inaccuracy of the rear deck.....it won't fit into the cockpit opening.   the instrument panel does {front},  but not the rear deck......sanding it down so it will fall into place  :)   lov'in the new arrangement!  :wub:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Tom.......yea,  it's coming back....more on the wet side though.   the past cold snap was abnormal...made me hate my job even more  ;)    thanks for the kind word on the model.  once the other margin is in place,  I can plot out the deck for planking and the real fun can begin.  checked into your log this morning....love what your doing on the yards.....very fine work!

thanks again to all who are following along  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did reply to you admiring the work you have done on the hull, but it vanished (must have been those tiny gremlins ......sure I saw them pinch my post)......

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great Caesar's Ghost!  usually when that happens to me,  I forgot to hit submit.  but with the last update,  if you forgot to do that,  it would be there the next time you went to log a post ;)   I like it......saves some headaches.  no matter......thanks for the good word OC!  I thought I felt your presence,  but wasn't sure  ;) 

anyway......to carry on the margins a bit further,  I got them done.   they did break in places,  but I was able to piece them back together.

5a596baaa6a63_1.jpg.0c26a4c222f6240d7847e34b0bedb851.jpg

5a596bd6a34c7_2.jpg.6d17ff2e76286a8b1e774ab0a17e6289.jpg

next was the bow and stern plates......these just cap them off and takes away some of the planking trim work.   I did the stern first......it looks off,  but I think it's the camera angle.  I'll be doing some final tweaking once everything is in place.

5a596c48376ed_3.jpg.0ef51ff280e211ced48a2791f560b9bc.jpg

then the bow.......

5a596ca113ecb_4.jpg.df1dcfc11e2ff50134c499662d55fc10.jpg

filler took care of the tiny gaps at the bow and stern,  and along the bulwarks.   any wavy areas along the bulwarks were evened out with a razor blade.  when all was said and done,  it was painted with pale gray.

5a596d7fe9228_5.jpg.96857f4f992f0999df7f7312556e6a74.jpg

5a596d8e5cda3_6.jpg.3d78a91ee5f4dc560b74ee8df4d1f4f2.jpg

it's still wet here and there....it should flatten out when fully dry.   the last thing tonight,  was to trace out the two structures,  prepping up for planking.

5a596dea5c598_7.jpg.040127b024f4a13841aa10cbb7a616f2.jpg

looking at the pilot house aft wall,  you'll see a bump in the tracing......I needed to fix an anti-flush issue with the back wall.  I fixed it and I'll retrace that line when it is dry.   I should be planking come Tuesday.......hull paint won't be until I add the rub rails....hoping I can fit that in too  ;)    thanks for look'in in.....much more to come  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good - are you going to leave the bulkheads as a internal planking guide or remove them,  they do not look to wide to do that.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

No mucking around with this build Denis, some rapid and great looking progress.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Stopped in to check out some great work. Your build logs along show good clean work. Keep it up.

Downeaster from Maine

Current Build:

Andrea Gail - Billings Boat 608 - scale 1:60 

St. Elme - Soclaine - scale 1:20 

Finished Build:

Marina II - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50

Lobster Boat - Midwest 

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:35

thanks for the kind comments folks...and thanks to all who hit the like button :)   considering the condition of the hull planking,  the hull shaped up rather nicely.  I probably should have soaked the whole lot of planking beforehand.......it might have lessened the splintering that it did as I was lay'in it down.  it worked out.

I plan on leaving the posts.......they'll give the bulwarks some character.  I know that's not what you mean OC......your asking about butt staggering.  normally,  I'll draw lines across the deck for that,  at every bulkhead.  being a small model,  I won't be doing it,  but on larger decks,  I'll even draw lines half way between the bulkheads.  this way,  I can go for the three or four butt spacing.  the kit supplies 4 mm deck strips.....I will look to see if I have anything narrower...it might look better {glad they didn't supply 5 mm.......Yikes!}  but that is yet to come ;) 

I hope so Pat......if I can get this done in a jiffy...then maybe I can apply the same speed to a few other builds :)   thanks for the good word!

hello Downeaster..thanks for the good word as well.  hope you continue to peek in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi. Great work you're doing there. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

I have just (yesterday) completed this great looking model (see my gallery) and I hope you don't take as long as it took me as it has taken me seven years although I have to say that six of them years it was on a shelf collecting dust. 

It was my first build.

I have only recently discovered and joined this brilliant site so I can't do a full build log like yours but I took plenty of photos so plan on doing a brief, mainly pictures, log sometime this week. There are a few tricky bits (for a novice like me anyway) which I will include.  I will let you know when the log is completed. 

Cheers

John

Edited by Johnnyreg
Spelling typo

Forgot to say I also really struggled to find resources on the winches and the Norden boat in general. I got in touch with Amerang (the uk distributer) and the guy said the model is generic of several different variants of the boat. 

Cheers

John

Hey Denis

Oh My Lawd!!!!  My initial reaction was "how did I miss this one"???  But, then again, I thought, no dramas, just hop on and enjoy the journey.

In all seriousness, Denis, I'm sorry I missed the start of this Log...well, I have been quite distracted by other priorities lately, so following my friends on MSW has been a bit difficult lately.  Nonetheless, I'm playing catch up and I'm enjoying your work immensely!

Nice job!

Cheers

Patrick

hello John!   yepper....had a look at your fine model....she looks great!  :)   when I was working with Tom {when he owned the Billing USA site},  I did some research into Billing Boats.....it led me to the Amerang site.  it also led me to Billing Boats direct.  I came very close to actually meeting Kent Billing,  but the meeting never happened.  I had a feeling that the outfitting of this boat was a little strange.....I question the use of the two winches on the same boat.  I see you added a prop......did you add a funnel?  I was going to add a prop,  but I don't have one that will fit the scale and don't feel like waiting on an order.   you need to build another one now.......your little gem will get lonely.  if your admiral like the look of this one,  she'll love the next one {sell 'er on that premise}.  don't waste your talent on just one model......you need to spread it out ;) 

thanks Patrick......glad to see you found me  ;)    we all get distracted every once in a while......nice to have a safe haven to regain our sanity.   glad to have you looking in......hope to have an update soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

hello John!   yepper....had a look at your fine model....she looks great!  :)   when I was working with Tom {when he owned the Billing USA site},  I did some research into Billing Boats.....it led me to the Amerang site.  it also led me to Billing Boats direct.  I came very close to actually meeting Kent Billing,  but the meeting never happened.  I had a feeling that the outfitting of this boat was a little strange.....I question the use of the two winches on the same boat.  I see you added a prop......did you add a funnel?  I was going to add a prop,  but I don't have one that will fit the scale and don't feel like waiting on an order.   you need to build another one now.......your little gem will get lonely.  if your admiral like the look of this one,  she'll love the next one {sell 'er on that premise}.  don't waste your talent on just one model......you need to spread it out ;) 

thanks Patrick......glad to see you found me  ;)    we all get distracted every once in a while......nice to have a safe haven to regain our sanity.   glad to have you looking in......hope to have an update soon :) 

Hi Denis

Thanks for your nice words on my Norden, both here and in my gallery. 

Wow, that would have been great to meet the main man Mr Billing himself. 

Firstly I have to correct myself, I checked the date of my first photo of my build and it was Jan 2007 so it took me 11 years to complete.

When I bought my kit (2007) it came with a prop it was item F40 and it was 28mm dia. I believe it was a gold plastic part, I didn't paint it, and it came loose with the anchor. It had a 2mm hole in so I used the supplied 2mm wire (F410) which I'm not sure your kit will have as I downloaded a recent manual and the 2mm wire is not included. 

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.15ee100d89b6f209fb3630ae75a5aacc.JPG

By funnel I presume you mean these bits on the left in which case yes I did as shown.

IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.e768a11e4f30a3cfcb8a7f809134462f.JPG

I am indeed building another, a HMS Fly which I received yesterday. I might have bit off a bit to much but will SHOUT for help if I need it. There are plenty of builds on here that I am studying so should be ok.

Keep up the good work. 

Cheers

John

IMG_0132.JPG

Edited by Johnnyreg

you know what John.......I just found out that I'm an idiot!   I didn't recall seeing a prop when I separated all of the fittings.   I have a never ending supply of medicine bottles....you ought to see what my inventory bin looks like.

fittings.jpg.81472faa418902dfd90db3e0cc5f865f.jpg

I didn't think there was a fitting photo in my instructions.......one look proved me wrong ;)    lo and behold,  there's the prop...right up there at the top of the picture!   I will have to get that bad boy on there,  so I don't forget it.   by funnel,  I mean a smokestack beside the pilot house, or jutting out of the base.  the Mary Ann looks similar to this boat.....I added a cap on the top {like you see on tractor,  and construction equipment}.  you see them on diesel exhaust,  if they are vertical pipes...thought it would look neat.   I'm glad you helped to clear that up........might have been more of a pain to add further along in the build :)   thanks again!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great news you found your prop Denis :), glad to help. 

Regarding the chimney, no I didn't add anything bespoke as it was my first build I stuck religiously to the kit instructions because that is what instructions are there for right? ;) Also I'm not confident enough yet.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

John

I had to look at your model again........you put the funnel / exhaust pipe on her  ;)    they show how to put it together,  but they don't show it in the pilot house assembly diagram.   just goes to show......even though your new to the hobby,  doesn't mean you have nothing to offer.   your going to have a lot of fun with the HMS Fly......it's not the complexity,  it's the challenge ;)    thanks again for waking me up :) 

hello John..........another walkabout?  hope it was for fun {my apologies if it weren't}.   glad to have you look'in in.......another John,  has been keep'in me in line while you were away ;)   gotta pay more attention to my instructions :D    another update awaits..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got somewhat of a late start today at the table.........and then got side tracked on another foolish thing.  but I did get something done.....I tried to make the best of it :)   fumbling around,  the first thing I pulled from the box,  were the cap rails.......and so I cemented them on.

5a5ec73608320_1.jpg.dd8fdb108d9c23903b5db13b25564b5b.jpg

did the finish sanding around the edges..inside and out.......I also redrew the back line for the pilot house,  straightening it out.

5a5ec7b4e1788_4.jpg.04f3021c3185623fe49992c2faaa554d.jpg

the stern area didn't look too bad either......the fit was rather good.

5a5ec800b0bfe_2.jpg.794e59fd05c784391f8b79f1aebf66e0.jpg

then the rub rails were added to the hull.......I soaked them a short time before they were put on,  so they wouldn't crack or break.

5a5ec86576dc9_3.jpg.6c4509c6d6b459c1d20d14892a70cffa.jpg

5a5ec877751ad_5.jpg.aa2f0bbf56ee4e513e1efd664f32aa21.jpg

I even added a stern bump rail,  characteristic of the Cux and Mary Ann kit, which I also built.......this hull is similar in many ways.

5a5ec95267430_6.jpg.d9c0c68b9bcfd5649b14b9d8cf380fbb.jpg

5a5ec95f2786e_7.jpg.4a4640b3711310b2fe51cc9223e41b46.jpg

cupped underneath and tapered near the rudder.   there is the prop.......getting in some camera time,  before it's added to the model ;)    if you can see,  I've already started the hole for it.....gotta make it a little larger.    I did some painting to the structures.......the base on this one {though it's hard to see}.

5a5eca7349f84_8.jpg.78414c901300d47db54de59e9f9b81d5.jpg

adding some braces in the front of the pilot house base,  it too was painted.

5a5ecaaec116c_9.jpg.737847a972e5cc7e8e2696ababf6c2f0.jpg

more to go yet.......I'll work on them some more tomorrow.  perhaps I can paint the hull.......still deciding on the color.......the admiral wants Blue........I was thinking a nice Orange.......I still have a lot of that international Orange.......the Cux color {we'll see who wins}  ;)  icky mae :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking very nice,   now I see what you mean with the bulkhead frames - they look great and add to the detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

John......they do include the larger brass rod {2 mm}.......silly me though,  I used some from my inventory to make the funnel.   I'm about to play with the winch on the base.....I look in the bag o' stuff and found it.

hi Bob.......I probably could get more done,  if I'd only lose this fogginess!  man......I gotta be comm'in down with something :blink:   thanks for look'in in and the good word!  :) 

thanks OC.......there are some kits out there that you have to cut them out.   I hardly do mainly because it makes the bulwarks weak.  I did it for the Thermopylae and I cracked them more times than I care to know...every time.....stop and fix them.   no need to do that to this model and I'm glad of it  ;)   thanks for look'in in and the good word  :) 

....and thanks to those who hit the like button! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: