T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:30

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

hi Kevin,

problems.......which one.......the quest for knowledge,  or the fact that I was in a fog  :D    awwww,  we all have those moments.   I've had ship builds, that I didn't have any problems,  and then there were the ones that gave me nothing but grief.   it's tough doing a scratch build.......I've fared just as well in that arena as well.

I rarely ever go back to fix things.   I tell this to anyone getting into the medium........build it.....don't look back,  just go forward.   after the second or third model,  look at the first one......they can see their experience rise with each build.   I know though where your coming from.....she's a big lady......you want her to be perfect, I understand.  my admiral gets upset every time she sees me obsessing over things....."it looks good enough!" she says......"move on or you'll never get anything done."  I think it depends on the subject......one subject you might click with more than another........you might have to put more thought into one,  more than another.  I'd like to build a Norske Love.......do I think I'd ever finish her?   I have the Gothenborg sitting in the hallway......it's been there for some time now.

she's hit the floor a couple of times......I might have to do a total redo.   how about that.....we each have a closet monster ;)   we both know that one of these days,  we'll have to pull those monsters out....and get 'em done without look'in back.   pictures can add time to a build.....I've got over a hundred pictures of the Goth........but that's the problem.......how much detail do you want to add?   the only remedy,  is to set a goal and stick with it.   for this model,  I wanted to expand too much,  I think.  I'm beginning to think that I can't go as far as I would like.  so,  I'm going to settle for the ideas I have and go with it.  we do the best we can with the projects we have on the table.....the next one will always be better that we have ever done.  Don Quixote fights the windmill.......and Sancho shakes his head.

I could freeze dry some minnows OC.......would that work?  :D 

Good advice, it does my head in some times, someone recently commented about my 1/72 HMS Fife build about the helicopter,  and the fact that to him it was a time dedicated build, and to my build it was just an accessory 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hello Lou.......I'll have to look that one up......I have Dumas bookmarked {god...what DON'T I have bookmarked!}.   I believe a plastic version was built not long ago,  by Kpnuts.   I think I'd go for something bigger.....that way I'll use more paint.   I appreciate the suggestion though.......I don't want to enrage the admiral either ;) 

I just finished the paint work a short time ago.......I didn't use any of the colors I was going to use.   I just winged it.   I wanted to have the cap rail painted before I posted the progress,  but I can do it tomorrow.

5a681c6a0a69c_1.jpg.83c132bd1209c4f8225e39a004bc2ea4.jpg

5a681c7d49a13_2.jpg.aabf937ab8620d2cd4802926883647a2.jpg

5a681c8812393_3.jpg.cdcd80982d2651af8ddc10fe1f912c82.jpg

5a681c91e1c83_4.jpg.41d59a76c9844673acad14cc5a29d4db.jpg

5a681ca0575e7_5.jpg.ddcfd84857b2d68c8d8759f1b0862368.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

there is no such thing as a time dedicated build Kevin...any avid modeler knows that!  ;)    see....it's right here in the modeler's handbook.....pg 14  "no modeler is to complete his project in a timely manner.  perfection is not a rush job."   there's more,  but I have to power up the magnifying glass to read it.   I think your doing fine,  Rome wasn't built in a day......and the leaning tower of Pizza didn't get that way because someone sneezed.   thanks for liking what I wrote...it's just me  :) 

darn thing.........I hit submit last night!   it didn't post.......just finished the paint work last night.....wanted to get it on here,  so you all could see it this morning.   oh well......no one spilt their coffee on their keyboard.  

"Jack,  what are you doing?'

"Daddy's making art honey......"

the Joker

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

respect Denis,

you`re going at a enormous pace with the Norden.....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Browsing around today for the first time really and note the handle "Popeye". You might be interested in this little shipmodeling poem (yes, there is such a thing!) that I wrote years ago for an NRG annual meeting lecture:

The Modelist  

In the evening breeze, from our seats of ease,

We holds our court in the bow.

Tho me mates think I’s daft, on art versus craft

On Applied Research I’m a “wow”!

When day is done, they has their fun

With a tot of rum in the peak.

Whilst I, if I’s able, I borrows a table

And works on me scarfs for a week.

Now I ain’t prolific and I ain’t terrific,

But I gets me little job done.

If I’m hard-pressed to finish, I has me a spinach

And carries on with me fun.

‘Cause in The End, I yam what I yam.

P. Eye

She is looking smart mate,   I like the contrast with the red black and grey,   lovely work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

this was odd.....I checked the editor earlier,   and my post was still there.   I noticed that it didn't post last night,  so I did it again,  and it posted.   I came back in here tonight,  and it was still here.......never happened before >shrug<   something for the books,  I guess ;)    thanks for all the kind comments folks....the colors were a last minute decision.   the olive drab looked too greenish to me,  so I went with the flat red......the sea blue is a Billing's color and I had another bout with the airbrush,  in painting what I did of it.  I was going to use flat white on the bow,  but I had second thoughts.....I never really see any other color {aren't you glad it wasn't orange?!}.  after the hull was painted,  I noticed that the sea blue didn't go down far enough......gray still could be seen......so I finished it with a brush.  I was relieved to see that no brush strokes showed up :)   well,  I'm glad you all liked it.....the scheme didn't shock you!

thanks zappto,  Nils,  John,  and OC......I appreciate the kind word :)

thanks Patrick......I wish I was good with weathering......I'm doomed to be a "Mr. Clean" guy  ;) 

thanks SanJoseClay.....so,  your responsible!   when I first came here {if you look in the welcome forum},  a fellow chimed in to say hello,  and posted it to me.  I in turn copied it,  and to this day,  I keep it in my archives.   I'm sort of a poet myself......very good writing ;)   I thank you very much and an honor to meet you....I do hope you'll follow along.....I'm not finished yet.   much more to go... I hope you enjoy :)    I do the laugh too ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"See  - I knew that Popeye was famous":o;)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That's a stout looking hull Denis - and colorful - I bet she can take the northern seas quite well.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Denis 

Not sure what you mean by larger. The Dumas kit at 1/16th scale is almost three feet long at 33". I think I did see somewhere that a model company was making a smaller plastic hull version at 1/40 scale but I have never seen one. I don't know what kind of wood the modern Dumas kit uses but if I remember back in the old days they used pretty much the same kind of wood you are using on your build now.

I do like the color choice you have used on this build though, even if there is no orange! :)

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've seen the Dumas kit......I was referring to the plastic version {seen that one too @ Hobby Lobby}.  it's an airfix kit @ 1:72.    one of these days,  I'd like to try a Dumas kit.....like the looks of the PT boat they have.  thanks for the good word my friend  :) 

on the Nordkap front........I finally got a hit on the fitting kit!  I've sent e-mails to Billing / Danmark and Age of Sails,  but so far,  no replies yet.   last night I tried another search and came up with a place called Premier Ship Models,  based in Canada.   the reply mentioned referring me to someone else,  so I'm waiting on that reply.  I'll see where it takes me :) 

thanks Piet and OC!  ....and thanks to all who hit the like button!

I didn't get too much done yesterday......made the admiral happy by getting my hair trimmed.  she said I was starting to look like a hippie :D   we had a major ice storm the other day......everything is coated in ice.  we did have a good amount of snow,  but we had a January thaw and most of it is gone now.  ........and then we get this.....it's quite slippery out there  ;)    I was hoping to have this done when I posted the last set of pictures.  I got to the table a bit late last night and painted the cap rails.....touched up the margins.   when I did the scuppers,  I did ding 'em up a little..........but that's alright,  it's a work boat.  when the model is finished,  they'll never be noticed  ;) 

5a69b96c1c78b_1.jpg.b7b65693c913915cb2557a52969af7e4.jpg

5a69b97b7ba75_2.jpg.8c932c10f1c1f647ce9437faa4a4d394.jpg

5a69b98a00f94_3.jpg.f22483ca26abe538573fedb3cd24fa50.jpg

I was going to start planking the deck,  but the cap rails were drying.....so I started to look at the pilot house.   I wanted to do it a little bit different.   I like the satin brown,  so I decided to base it as the trim color,  and base it off of that.   I was thinking of a mahogany color,  but it would be too dark.  So, I went with a light color Anegre this strip,  and will do siding on the exterior.   going vertical,  I went with 0.5 x 2 mm wide strip.   I could have gone with 3 mm,  but the 2 mm will fill the fields without having to patch in a smaller width.   I'm not using the supplied doors........I'm going to add a casing and use the punch outs that I had removed.   recall that I had used 1/4 quarter round plastruct for the front corner edges,  since the assembly of the pilot house,  left a gap there.  I will also be using some plastruct 'L' angle for the back corners.  this will box the side fields in and serve as corner moldings.

5a69bc4d2f132_4.jpg.d8f2a5470cb0993603480aa06b1fb578.jpg

I stopped here to paint the 'L' corners before I finished the port side.  I will cut the windows out after this has dried.   I plan on using the tinted cello that I've used on a previous project,  since this kit doesn't much in the way of interior detail.  I'd add some,  but the pilot house is rather small and so are the windows.  the port side is filled in now.......when dry,  it can be trimmed and cleaned up.

5a69c599d6a37_5.jpg.bd0712b5bc85310f52a1c38155ff2033.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Don :)   I'm continuing with the pilot house at the moment.......should have more a bit later.   got up early this morning....Gibbs got me up for a morning outing @ 4 AM.   I have the supplied deck planking for the ship,  but I'm beginning to wonder if I should do the deck in this color Anegre,  in keeping with the pilot house color.   I might have enough.

thanks again for all the likes :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so.....the port side was trimmed and the edges sanded flush.  the back wall got the siding treatment next.

5a6a36315572a_1.jpg.27ad911d2d970cc069aab6bc7a387fb7.jpg

the starboard side was done next.  the casing for the door was done and painted........then sided.

5a6a367f51765_2.jpg.668c9c3a86136f859c08e18cd78edc98.jpg

in keeping with the satin brown for the trim,  the doors and the window frames were painted.  set aside to dry.

5a6a36ba6e786_3.jpg.007c9804caac54dcf5e1c78106f92648.jpg

the front wall was done last......after it was sided and dry,  the seams that join the segments were sanded lightly to round off the edge look.

5a6a377ee1fc8_4.jpg.67cd47124489d3a327391211c9db55d9.jpg

since the three walls have had the most drying time,  the windows were trimmed out.

5a6a37c03031b_5.jpg.dd1341c015d2b03b2b63130a10921557.jpg

5a6a37ca65c99_6.jpg.f9aa1a9f4f92b59b2222b3f0a750de29.jpg

selecting a piece of the tinted cello that I thought would do the job,   the window frames were cemented on it,  and will be cut out when dry.   I was a bit hesitant, but I used CA to cement the frames on.....I was so worried that the fumes would cloud the cello, but it didn't.

5a6a389f592d7_7.jpg.7816acee31712fdf15107fd5964a9e9c.jpg

while I had the brown out,  I painted the roof.   I'l be working with that pretty soon.   I had cemented the cross strips on during an earlier session.

5a6a39c665e2d_8.jpg.dd9adecf1cf25ae885e007960f13c9ba.jpg

cutting them out did remove bit of paint....I ended up having to touch them up a little.   taking the side windows and the back window,  they were cemented in place,  using the Testor's window maker.  I opened the new bottle...the old bottle is gone  {horray!}.

5a6a39d61586a_10.jpg.36c00bec66f9019eb84a2825c191f57e.jpg

the doors were cemented in place as well.   two 10 mm brads make up the door knobs,  and buts of brass rod make up the simulated hinges.

5a6a3a2c29952_9.jpg.af4f61fc4b8e3d11934e0e0fb9c125cc.jpg

5a6a3a36f0f7f_11.jpg.09c9368ef9cbd69ea134d3f9c5aa5972.jpg

the tinted windows really aren't that dark,  so there will be some visibility to the interior.    not enough though to cause alarm.  I'll get the front windows cased out and then it will be painted over with semi gloss lacquer....trying not to get any on the windows.   I probably should retrace the structure outlines on the deck.   in doing this,  I likely changed the size of the areas..   I should be able to go further today.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking smart with the wood on the cabin  gives it more depth and detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

quickly coming to life Dennis

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks gents......ya caught me! :ph34r:   I cut the front windows out and I'm taking a break.   I saw the pictures Kevin........looks a lot like the Jeanne D'Arc,  except the D'arc has more Heli deck.   wonderful stuff there bud!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis. Love the funky colours and the extra cabin detail. 

Are you adding detail to the inside of the cabin or blanking the windows out? I did neither but not sure what the rules are, oh I forgot you don't follow the rules ;)

When you retrace the structures on the deck are you going to allow for the boxed area where the float balls go or are you leaving the box out?

Cheers

John

Edited by Johnnyreg

thanks semore......appreciate the good word :) 

thanks John.......the bin will sit on the deck,  so in between the floats,  the deck can be seen.   I used tinted cello for the windows....the same stuff you would see in automobiles.  it doesn't totally block out the vision,  but the pilot house is so small,  anything put in there would clutter it up. I'm actually surprised that they didn't supply dash parts and a ship's wheel.   when I did the Mary Ann,  I rebuilt the pilot house from scratch,  giving it larger windows....the pilot house here is based the same way.   I mounted the windows out side instead in inside.......a trade off for the siding  ;) 

thank you Samson....glad to have you look'in in  :) 

thanks for the likes folks!  :)      I'll have more soon......I did go further  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Shame, shame - hinges don't work <shock horror> ;):)

That colour combination with the natural wood looks absolutely great Denis 5a6a71b2ebbea_thumbsup.jpg.8f67eaf849d71eedaa454854ebf419d1.jpg

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

you know what I found out........you don't look into the camera and hit the stupid button,  thinking your shutting it off!

5a6abe652fb94_hithere.jpg.300b02705542ed9caf3f1fc4a2ae1c57.jpg

I know......I know........ :(  go through all that trouble with the door,  only to fall flat on my keister.   I'll do better next time........I promise !  thanks for the good word pat and John :)    the hinges will be the next experiment in the R&D dept.

thanks for the kind word as well Bob....you wish is MY command!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yes.....I got right back to work......the admiral wasn't home.......it was quiet.  the front of the pilot house was fleshed out.

5a6ac07c096ab_1.jpg.0764d010a996420bf274c486e4d362bc.jpg

all it needs now is some minor sanding and a lacquer coat.   I hadn't had enough of the planking.....so I started on the deck.  usually I begin at the bow.....but this time I though I'd go from back to front.   I'm using an archive pen to simulate the calking.  I have 2 new ones......this is my old one,  that I had filled with India Ink,  when it dried out on m the last time.  it's still alive and kick'in  ;) 

5a6ac122b0633_2.jpg.ed9ceb4c01a6e79e331197134f9dd59d.jpg

of course,  I'm jumping back and fourth between planking and reading logs.......johnnyreg asked about the interior of the pilot house.  as mentioned,  being a small structure,  I'm not going to do much with it.  the tint doesn't darken it enough though...and looking in,  I can see satin brown paint blotches around the doors.  I gave it a coat of flat pale gray.

5a6ac22d38a98_3.jpg.73929a3a6cd66b5dca12b56b6fbb0aa2.jpg

done with the area behind the pilot house,  I ran two solid planks in the center of the deck,  from the front of the pilot house base,  to the forward structure.  in cleaning out the mast hole,  the planking broke up!  DRATZ!  now what the heck am I gonna do.  there's only one thing that will fix it.....a mast collar!  I cut the bad part off the planking.

5a6ac378c5ddf_4.jpg.ec28c89043a730a8bf3d63f1e115f4cd.jpg

I have this strip of wood in the pile on the table...I think it's Obetchi 2 x 6 mm.   a piece was cut off,  a 3/16 hole drilled through it and trimmed to fit between the planking and the forward structure.   I painted it flat pale gray when done.

5a6ac4ae0db1e_5.jpg.013c28277b4aa1117f490b0b3e9285e1.jpg

working my way around the pilot house,  I had to do some fancy cutting to negotiate the base.

5a6ac5ec1c0d4_6.jpg.e1d0eaf87d31a1de0866614fc98967e0.jpg

I drew lines at most of the bulkheads,  except the few at the bow and stern.......those I'll just run straight {most will be short pieces anyway}.   I figured I'd cheat a little.....I ran a pair of 1 mm strips to the front of the outline for the base.

5a6ac73059e6c_7.jpg.2f422bb23aa9b50ba53f9d7a733aca13.jpg

Once I worked my way to the mid ship,  I wanted to make sure the pattern was right.  so I cut and dry fitted planking to the center plank on one side.....OK.....I'm good.  so I ran the pattern from the center planks.  darned if that 'cheat' didn't come back to haunt me!  for the port side,  I ended up running a 1 mm strip all the way from the base,  to the forward structure.

5a6ac8c998ab7_8.jpg.cccf53d076bfaa5640bc8704920a2c35.jpg

before I started this area,  I had cemented the mast collar in place.  now with that 1 mm strip,  I should be good,  as it brought the planking flush with the strip I cheated with.  I figured that I'd be doing the same thing with the starboard side.......no,  not exactly.   for some crazy reason,  the 1 mm strip fell short of being flush......you figure I'm using 3 mm thin strips......with the added 1 mm,  it falls short?......OK....fine!   I did some test fitting,  and I ended up using two 2 mm strips together to match up with the deficit.  what I did though,  was mark them for cutting the butt joints,  but when I did the calking,  I didn't do one of the sides, lengthwise.  I did them opposite one another,  and when they were put side by side {cut and butt jointed to follow the pattern},  they almost look seamless.  once sanded,  it may be hard to notice  ;) 

5a6acc49bdfae_9.jpg.49592924517e3295c074c8c2f915b4fa.jpg

thinking about this......I could have done the same thing to the port side,  and it probably would have looked better.   anyway.......I continued with the port side planking.......I did a little more to the starboard side,  before changing sides.  a good portion of the deck is done.......not much more to go.....then a lot more fancy cutting capping in the forward structure.   it's late my friends........I've been up since 4 AM.   I think it's time to hit the bunk ;) 

5a6acdac66cd1_10.jpg.0676602dc72299bf576246db19f4a64b.jpg

5a6acdc044043_11.jpg.4073d240f160c5e71bdf9a3234ab59e4.jpg

if only i had thought of that remedy sooner ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: