T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:30

hello Ferit!   nice you come look'in in.   ain't that the hoot!   the hull looks scary in the beginning......by the time they get paint,  they start to lose the rough appearance.  hope you follow along........there's more fallout.....errrr folly..to come ! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Don't you just love technology. In the wrong hands it can be dangerous ;)

Looking good Denis

Cheers

John

Edited by Johnnyreg

thanks gents for the kind comments and the likes :)   the lowly mast collar...where would we be without them?  this one sure got me out of a bind.   it's nice when you can quickly solve a problem when it arises......I'd say it's a beneficial skill that's a must have for any beginner modeler.   

thanks Ferit and John  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Loving the decking she is looking very smart,  the decking really brings her to life.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC........both side are now done....working on the bow area.  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John.....the margins made it easier to plank.  I didn't have to do all that cutting around the posts.   doing it this way does present problems...one of these days I'll figure out a better way to overcome it.   I would try and replace that 1 mm strip,  but it can get very messy,  so I'll just leave it be.

both sides of the mid ship was done this morning.

5a6be4b08bb8f_1.jpg.49249569d05b5cdaa8f2f4dac7c1a89b.jpg

......and I started to close up the bow section.

5a6be4d4eeed6_2.jpg.e06015838728defebfaf184977542e50.jpg

this makes for some unique plank cutting.  the forward structure was dry fitted,  as was the pilot house,  to unsure a good fit.

5a6be550018c6_3.jpg.4f4cad654b4ab165fe2f5191e837bdbc.jpg

the mast cap was cleaned out,  so it will accept the mast.   I will need to make a couple of supports for the aft mast behind the pilot house,  since there is no hole for it in the deck.   it didn't take long to finish the bow section.

5a6be65340619_4.jpg.3ebf58699437ee97b64443226bb57cbc.jpg

although,  I will need to make a tiny addition to the starboard side front corner {inside the open area}.

5a6be6e6d7d77_5.jpg.fce80f3e2a72c0a4355838b937a18fb0.jpg

before I cement the structures in place,  I'll go around the edge with flat black,  so no sign of the underlayment can be seen.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well done Dennis

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Denis

nice work . your fish cutter looks good I thought if you have googled the boat type to find photos for details? good  words to search for are:

Norsø kutter   or  Fiskekutter  or Hajkutter  and for old blak and wite pic just at :  gamle billeder - or - sort og hvid  before  fiskekutter .

her just an apitiser

dm9p2b.jpg

k9ew6b.jpg

iwtava.jpg

have fun :)

Nice work Denis.  You're not mucking around with this build are you; rapid progress.  Another fine vessel to add to your fishing fleet.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

She is looking grand all the assembliess and sub assemblies coming together now, such a neat job.

And regarding your margin - I like it a lot it looks so correct.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood
added

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks everyone for the kind comments.......and to all of you who hit the like button :)   I did a bit more,  but not enough to hoot about....I'll include it in my next update.

thanks John and Kevin....appreciate the good word :) 

thank you very much Samson for the pictures, but now i'm a little confused.   this boat is supposed to be a coaster...is the re a difference between a caster and a 'kutter'?   I've always been intrigued with boats that have part of the deck tarped over or the bow encased in a shell.    Billing's  based a few of their models after the Kutter...    perhaps you can help me figure out the winch .....it can be seen at the begging of the log.

thanks Pat.......with the number of billing's models I've built,  my fleet has certainly grown.  if I still had the Cux and the Susan A ,  the number would stand at around ten.   imagine if I was all caught up...I'd be at a whopping 17 {add the bluenose project,  it would be twenty}   I'm not counting the plastic builds....they are another medium all together  ;)    thanks for the good word !

thanks OC.......that they will........now it's pretty much deck work.   as Johnnyreg has asked me earlier......I still need to make the bin.  as for the flotation buoys,  I already have some handy....just need to make sure the size is correct.   this is always the fun part to me ;)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis
The netting machine is used to put and record bottom net that is put out and rumored the day after .
the ship Norden is not the type of cutter that can be landed as seen in one of the videos it is supposed to be in port .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlm2G6O3fTw 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q6FPTECYmE

:rolleyes:

Very nice work on the pilot house and decking Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thank you very much Samson for posting these videos.  the winch doesn't look like the one supplied in the model.....I notice though that the drums are flat.  I had taken the large one and the back smaller one,  and sanded them to look more like a reel.   perhaps I shouldn't have done that?   the piece of equipment that hangs from the mast untangles the net and puts it in the bin.........hmmmm.  the deck set up is different.   I see other videos......I will look at them as well ;)   you given me lots to think about.   if you find any more to add,  by all means,  feel free :)   thanks again!

hello Piet!   thanks for looking in and the kind comment.  so glad to have you looking in  :)    saw your latest log...... ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some interesting videos there Samson. I wish I had seen these when I was building my Norden.

Have you seen this one Denis? It's the nearest to our boats that I have seen and the only one with a boathouse winch that I have seen. Still don't know what this winch does though. If it was for lifting nets then shouldn't there be a swinging boom? Ive just realised that what I thought was the middle spool of the three could be the motor housing!! Doh! So therefore should be attached to the boathouse not central on the shaft like I have got it Doh! I wondered why the hole was a lot bigger than the shaft.

Your decking looks really good by the way.

in seeing the videos that Samson posted ......and now yours,  neither of the winches are involved in pulling the boats onto the beach.   the tow rope is fastened to the bow stem and is pulled by a tractor.   I thought the same thing about the winch on the base.....if it was used to bring the net in,  to logically rig it,  I was thinking a gallow.  the pulley can redirect the rope over to the roller,  which is affixed to the cap rails {port and starboard}.   I believe it should be either belt or chain driven....the small structure behind it should be hollow {open},   then detail can be added to give it some sort of functionality.

on a much brighter note.........I have been on the lookout for the fitting kit,  for the Nordkap.  I did get a return on one of my inquiries...my request was being referred to someone in charge at Premier ship models.  I have heard nothing since.....this was a week and a half ago.  the other evening,  I was sent a picture of a model,  sold by Billing's.  I recalled a kit that was different {but pertained to the subject},  so I went to Billing's USA to check it out.   the site had changed somewhat and listed new items......one of which was the Nordkap fitting kit!   I wasted no time.......I ordered it!   it didn't specify a delivery date.  I'll let  you know when I get it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great news on the Nordkap fittings Denis. Not sure what the kit includes, have you picture? 

I was looking on the Billing Boats official website for the Nordkap fittings but couldn't find them but while I was looking I saw a few fittings labelled "Anchor Winch" here which look very similar to the Norden boathouse winch. Do you think that's what they are? I also found these images on google image search. They are all labelled as Anchor Windlasses. 

IMG_0179.GIF.9949c7baa5376e8fa5460e78c1a06cf8.GIFIMG_0180.JPG.654976d73f1b6aaf3312539e6a70009a.JPG

IMG_0181.thumb.JPG.e4fe668e358622cc4d50dfd065ee1f49.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG.1d60d7bf444418f4e1fceb1c01b9e704.JPG

hi john,

yepper....I have a picture of what is in of the fitting kit.   I'll post it later.  Billing's had fitting kit sets for a small number of their models.   since tom Richardson assembled the fitting loose {what he sent me for the first Nordkap},  I surmised that there was no kit for this model.   I haven't looked at how the anchor is set up,  but the anchor doesn't fit the type of boat.   if this was a clipper ship........maybe.   I plan on making a grappling hook type anchor.   basically,   if this boat used a windlass,  there should be hawse holes in the bow.   for a winch to be that far back........well,  the deck is too cluttered for that.  the anchor is deployed and retrieved manually.

I'll report back soon.......supper is almost ready  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I noticed in the last picture there is an anchor lying there that looks similar to our kit but not sure what sort of boat is depicted in this picture.

I agree Denis with most of what you say but I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Maybe there should be hawse holes but the kit designer put notches in the bow top rail there instead to simplify the kit. I suppose the Anchor Windlass had to go near the engine for practical reasons, especially on an older boat design. I know the deck is cluttered but there may have been "Anchor Rope Guides" to divert the anchor rope around the forward structure. Even if none of this is correct and I'm way off the mark, and because the kit is a generic representation of a Danish Cutter of that era, maybe the kit designer just decided to stick an anchor windlass there on the kit for aesthetic reasons.

I know very little about Danish fishing boats of that era and I have no idea what it is used for so will wait for someone more qualified to let us know.

Just seen on the same Billings page a "Trawl Winch" which looks more like it. Please ignore my last few posts and big apologies. I'm still learning.

IMG_0183.PNG.6017e3c05fa098aa717c1a78d96a6f51.PNG

Edited by Johnnyreg

the BF 0134 and the BF 0171 are part of the Nordkap fittings.  look in the nautical discussion forum......I posted information on the Nordkap.   I will do something with the anchor to give you an idea of the direction I'm going.  the anchor lays on the deck of the bow,  with the stock removed from the stem of the anchor...I've never seen that in a boat or ship,  let along a model of one.  I will have to look to see how you have yours  ;)    part #42 can be either called fenders,  or breakwaters.  I see the notches,  but I do believe,  I see a hole there as well.  comparing this boat to the Cux,  or the Mary Ann,  both of these vessels have a pulley built into the bulwark near the bow stem.   it would be logical,  seeing that all three boats are of Danish construction,  that I could do the same thing to the Norden,  and it would look just as good.   as I read about this model,  it's based on a combination of information on these types of fishing boats........kinda puts in the category of a mongrel ;)    you'll find that quite a few models are generic in nature......likely the main reason why there are so many inaccuracies.  I would say cost is a close second.

I'm still having a hard time with the net winch......especially after seeing the video.   noting that the fish in the net slides of to the left,  while the drums are pulling the net in via the ropes on the edges of the net.......how is that possible with the configuration of this winch?  unless the fish are removed prior to the net going through the winch,  I don't see fish going through there........not unless you want to squish the fish  ;)    it's gotta be me.......I must be looking for too much functionality.   cold bins are located as holds on both sides of the deck......catch is prepped and thrown in the bins.  look'in how that guy handled the catch,  I probably should have painted the inner bulwarks red.   I'll tell ya though,  it almost makes me want to create another hull,  and change the layout.   base the pilot house towards the bow,   situate the winch along side,  with a sluice table,  and have three or four bins situated around the table.   hang the buoys off the cap rails and have a ball............ yeeeee-ha!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm going for some Haddock right now...........I'll be back  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

29 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm going for some Haddock right now...........I'll be back  :) 

Think you will need about 10-20 servings for all your shipmates on here:cheers::):):)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

...need a big table.....hmmmmmmm........I wonder if king Arthur wouldn't mind........

anyway........this morning was kind of a bust.  I had to make up for lost time.  I did do a couple of things Friday evening,  before I got ready to hit the bunk for work the next day.   I made up the roof for the companionway,  and I cemented the forward structure to the deck.

5a713f71bd0bd_3.jpg.e8b8b19203e551df40ed6821f32b558a.jpg

the roof for the pilot house was painted as well.   in checking the fit this afternoon,  I found that it was too short......no way to center it,  so there would be a sufficient overhang.   I attempted to cement a strip of wood on the end of it,  but the corners are rounded,  and it would be terrible to fill in the gaps.   so I went to the box and got out the part of the sheet where the roof was laser cut....of course another part was to close in one area,  leaving a serious void near an end.  I cut off the bad part and cemented what there was onto the roof.  another small piece was trimmed to fill in the rest of it,  adding not quite 1/4 of an inch to it.

5a714060e0345_4.jpg.868ec1a1b6cbdd25608b050357e8f184.jpg

5a714168e6202_5.jpg.07fdc176c3b1cd4391165e05168ae5e5.jpg

this was sanded and painted,  rounding off the corners again after.   when dry,  it was cemented to the pilot house.   I started doing something else,  that was good 'n hostile......I stripped all the wire out of the red hose.  I know why it was left in there,  but I wanted the ends to be hollow,  so to better attach the hose to pins I'll need to create.......the other end I'll have to make a sprayer nozzle.   how.......I don't know......but I'll do something  ;) 

5a7144420fa3c_6.jpg.ebb686c161f55033c41e80ca49e2827a.jpg  

this is when I realized that I hadn't sealed the deck,  or the pilot house.   all my lacquer is in spray cans......I would need to decant them.   not wanting to have a debacle with lacquer turning white on me,  I decided to use the leftover Poly Urethane I had kick'in around.  it left the deck and pilot house 'flat',   but it deepened the grain and made it look a bit darker.

5a71446a17e9e_7.jpg.415d16d29cf545205031fadd0c75b0fe.jpg

5a714490e270a_8.jpg.c11520034f83b0cd4146668867ccaaeb.jpg

5a71449d3190f_9.jpg.52ee00c72b359a6e9e6621bc923c27ed.jpg

I hurried this up a tad.......gotta remember to lessen the solder lump near the ring.   as mentioned,  the anchor is a bit too large...it also would look better on a clipper ship,  or similar.   on the model {which I was going to show two diagrams,  but forgot to post them},  the overhead view shows the stock removed from the anchor,  and laid on the deck.

5a7145b357bae_1.jpg.4f6767f7cc5ad29802c6b28c12fa65dd.jpg the dark shadow is the stock

this is the only visual of the the two cold bins hatches on both sides of the deck,  as well as what looks like a large hold in the center.  for now I will be working with the anchor.......replacing it with a grappling hook style anchor.

5a7146b630890_11.jpg.61a7af23786ef905b22d50b49ad0c460.jpg

most of these boats would use a smaller anchor.....like a sand anchor.

5a7148826d3f6_anchor1.jpg.487a4e6de6b42193b604ec35b0f67c5a.jpg   5a71488fc6153_anchor3.jpg.5242afaae107c7b485a47ef854a939d3.jpg    5a71489acf755_anchorassortment.jpg.aab7c3e3e9014d8d057d292d7f1eee9d.jpg

my first attempt turned out to be too large.........adjusting the scale in my head {no....I'm not stepping on a cat's tail}........

5a71493752908_10.jpg.740851b0d734be4e3dad5a8229248721.jpg

I though that larger diameter brass rod would work better.  I fidgeted like crazy trying to get them lined up......I ended up wrapping them in wire that I got from other kits,  and then soldering over it.  now that I knew what to do,  I used the smaller diameter rod.  it looked better after trimming the shank length.  the ring you see wasn't the one used......I soldered on a smaller one,  and I got this.

5a714a212860a_13.jpg.64c418a7cc4fab0de7e36c9da8db42eb.jpg

I got too much solder at the top by the ring........gotta fix that.   comparing the two together,  I think the grappling hook look better.

5a714a8a9ca7e_14.jpg.3ac4b3cdd8f66a14a3688fec092cdf45.jpg

...and the comparison on the model.

5a714ac2e7844_12.jpg.b621c76263591968e3d54bc8a73150e8.jpg

5a714ad19d782_15.jpg.2ec609bc5a09725429fffaacbe5e205c.jpg

all it needs now is the sampson post and some rope.   another thing I considered is,  why do they have an anchor?  they are dragged onto the beach.....an anchor is not needed for mooring at a dock,  and while fishing is going on,  the boat merely drifts with the current......the net goes out....the boat can't be still,  it has to move.  don't get me wrong.....it's good to have one in the event it needed.  but,  in normal operation,  it's not needed.   oh.....here is another shot of the pilot house base winch.   it's not a windlass, or used for the anchor.   I'm still stumped what it could be used for.

5a714c9917954_2.jpg.dc548f855a34fb5d7c92fa386f37983e.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

11 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm still having a hard time with the net winch......especially after seeing the video.   noting that the fish in the net slides of to the left,  while the drums are pulling the net in via the ropes on the edges of the net.......how is that possible with the configuration of this winch?  unless the fish are removed prior to the net going through the winch,  I don't see fish going through there........not unless you want to squish the fish  ;)

This video might answer that question.