T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - Billings - 1:30- finished

thanks Lawrence...there's really not much more to go.   thanks for the fine comment......really appreciate ya follow'in along :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

this morning,  I though I'd do some of the last bits to the Norden.   as I had mentioned earlier,  I had strung the buoy rings on the guy rope I rigged up for them.  I also rolled up the ladder,  I had set up on the port side.

5aaac05f2d63a_1.jpg.c13cfb6e5dc00c4a2942d52030115602.jpg

like john,  I wasn't too keen on the plastic plates with the fish detail on them.  I think I had another build that had them to......I believe it was the Mary Ann.   I tossed them out.........now I'm wishing I had hoarded them as well.  I have this idea of cutting the fish from the parts and laying them in the trays.   they might look a bit more natural.

5aaac14f2801c_2.jpg.306ae437a18e16fe0646cc9468e515ba.jpg

I rigged an extra single block and cleat to the aft mast,  and prepared the aft sail.   simply.......fold over the edge pleats and trap some thread in between,  creating an eyelet at both ends of the bottom.  I traced the pleat lines on both sides of the sail.   as I mentioned.......for two sails,  I wasn't going to get too fancy.   now if I were working on a Bluenose or something,  it might be a different story  :) 

5aaac238d138b_3.jpg.114fad379b9aafec0b2e7e51a59d01ac.jpg

5aaac24457604_4.jpg.387c6d6c1f1f957b4d6934dfd1f99fe9.jpg

as I've done for all my other builds,  a suggestion made by John {Jim Ladd}...{what John.....since the Nordkap  :) }  is to remove the fake rope off of the life preservers,  and put some real stuff on them.  it can be a pain,  depending on how cooperative the procedure goes,  but I like the way they come out.  it starts by removing the fake rope.

5aaac37263ae7_5.jpg.05818f8e49f51538bd6fd5934afb7559.jpg

I save these pieces.......depending on how well they are removed,  I think they could be used as regols for the gun port lids on sailing ships at this time, they have been painted red....soon to be rigged up.  after the buoy rings were gathered, the guy rope was tied to the spreader on the starboard shroud.  I made up a rope coil for it, to finish it off.

5aaacefe57d3b_6.jpg.7cb0fe31af2177239ee4fc949ac59f9d.jpg

the aft sail being done,  and the tackle added to the mast,  the sail was hung and tied.  a rope coil was made for it as well.

5aaacf64adb3f_7.jpg.c42fa5590fa6774b5acc3d6ef57b809a.jpg

5aaacf71aa133_8.jpg.3593f4dac893966a0acd25febfe91e06.jpg

if I get more done.......got an errand to run.......I'll post it tonight  :)    thanks for look'in in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking great Denis. Love the detail your putting in, especially the fish idea. I was thinking about what you could use if you wanted more and remember one of your builds, or a photo you showed, that had a bulging net full of fish, what were they made of?

OK, OK you're making me hungry - where's the fresh fish already? :)  Very nice and lifelike build of a working trawler build Denis; love the detail.

regards

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks for the kind comments.....and thanks for all who hit the like button :)    currently working on the fore sail and the life preservers.  after that,  there are two more aspects that will finish the model......more tomorrow if I can get to the table. :) 

thanks John......I'll try to get the preservers done,  so you can see how they look  :) 

thanks John.......I think that is a picture of the St Romanus,  another North sea trawler.  if you want to see some other great looking trawlers,   go here

http://www.hullmodelboatgroup.co.uk/

most of the models here are scratch built.  I believe the fish are made of rice,  or whole spice {cumin, caraway etc}

thanks Pat......sorry mate,  plastic don't taste very nice :P    thanks for such a kind comment  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just found the picture with the net full of fish, it’s the Progress on your Nordkap 476 post here. Do you think they painted every grain silver? ;) The Hull Model Boat site look interesting. I’ve bookmarked it and I will definitely check it out again when I get my “fishing boat” head back on again.

Wonderful details Denis,

The "Norden " is looking super !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

oh shoot!   I think your right John!  I've got a bunch of pictures saved up.   that's gonna be a super project when I get around to it.  the ship is a shade over 32 inches long..... :) 

thank you Nils.......it doesn't take much to dress up a kit...many folks here do just that ;)   .....and your scratch building is amazing!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

made a little headway.......the fore sail is almost done!

5aac87d6f1cb8_9.jpg.5135ba17b19387a759aa0cde284608f8.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the likes folks.........we're finally getting to the finish of this project.  as shown above,  the fore sail is in the process of having it's folds cemented over,  trapping a length of thread along the fold.   I usually don't do sails this way,  but the small eye loops was something I wanted to try.   usually all pleats are sewed by sewing machine,  but for two sails,  I couldn't see bringing it out {I could have brought out the Bluenose sails......I still have those to do}.   it's finished now......I drew the pleat lines on the backside of the sail.

5ab3b0dc9c9bc_1.jpg.d5f817c0c42ce61bf32b31825c8d63f4.jpg

5ab3b0ea111ed_2.jpg.9cce25e53b7f83aa3fb1db91b82bdd0b.jpg

I still wasn't sure about the catch trays.......whether I should add them now or not.   I have cut out a few more of the fish from those plastic pieces.......some look weird.  perhaps after painting,  they might not look so bad.   I did add a couple more though......I can add the fish later.

5ab3b1913b016_3.jpg.6261d5479ae0c27ad11643a0ceaac5a9.jpg

the sail was tied in place on the main mast.....I do a rope coil for it when the terminated line dries.

5ab3b1f676699_4.jpg.319cf52b7b7019c7ac2a828d21cb59cb.jpg

5ab3b202ed765_5.jpg.c7db35d218ab111f40aeaf66892277c6.jpg

I meant to do this before John left.........something he suggested to me a long time ago.........like with my very first model :)   as you saw,  I had cut all of the plastic rope off of the life preservers.

5ab3b37bd4d48_5.jpg.93e8360444c35f8dbd7fede242ee2ec8.jpg

what I usually do from here,  is first paint them red,  leaving the rope areas white {four points around the preserver}.   here,  I'm going ti try a new approach,  so I painted them totally red.

5ab3b3ea587c7_6.jpg.9d619c29348f00a2ec72d68fc8324db3.jpg

after touching up the nonconformities,  instead of the trying time of cementing actual 'rope' onto the preserver,   I'm going to try and tie it on.   the 'helping hands'  works well for this process.

5ab3b4a826179_7.jpg.a25907849af1ec7e20c3a1e182cc9e54.jpg

after tying the last lashing,  {I used CA to cement the knots}  all the excess thread is cut off as close as I can,  to produce the finished product..........the bashed life preserver.

5ab3b51eb2b8d_8.jpg.be42d02a405d78980154e4fc92dd93f2.jpg

it doesn't take too long,  so the other one was done lickity split.

5ab3b54c0e46c_9.jpg.0223f0b4e192026c70021b317fd14e45.jpg

these are a bit exaggerated........even allowing hardly any loops at all is exceptable.    now I need to find some hooks to hang them on.   I do recall having some.... tiny little buggers,  they are......I don't keep them just anywhere {they would get lost}.   I have this small bin,  where I keep all the tiny punch outs and cast off parts that I don't use.......I'll see what is in there ;) 

5ab3b729b1489_10.jpg.4de816dfc7cdab8e422988235c35e309.jpg

my 'Pandora's box'........so to speak.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's a wonderful looking model Denis; great job on the detailing.

cheers

Pat

thanks Pat :)   the bin didn't have much in it........I thought I had a couple from another project.   all I had in there was the railings form the Half Moon crow's nest.

I didn't use them,  since half the parts were missing to make them {another project I was thinking of bringing back out}.   I'll think of something........then one more thing i want to add ;) 

thanks for all the likes gents!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I meant to mention this the other day.   I was at work and was doing the repair work on the trailer.   they are equipped with GPS,  and I was in the process of inspecting and updating the firmware.  walking out of the trailer,  I noticed a clump on the floor.   I picked it up and found that it was a hair net......brown mesh and dirty,  with a bit of damage to the mesh.  fanning it out,  after picking out some of the debris,  I saw how small the mesh was.  it made me think that it would be perfect for a fishing net.  of course,  it ended up on my tool box......but I forgot to bring it home,  for further testing.   today,  we were in a local Wal Mart......I looked for one,  but they didn't have the color I had found.   we then went to the local grocery store,  and I found a three pack in brown.   I think by cutting off the elastic edging,  it might be useful.........my testing continues  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

lovely work, you making the fish from fimo? (lol other air drying makes are available)

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

If you keep your eyes open, there are lots of things that can be repurposed in modeling.

Kevin......no..I'm cutting them from the square plastic pieces that fits in the trays. 

5aaac14f2801c_2.jpg.306ae437a18e16fe0646cc9468e515ba.jpg

I can only get three out of each part.......but cutting out like this will make them look a bit more real.   I will need to look up whatever fish this is and try painting them.

I have seen so much Walter....good to see you BTW  :)   I get a lot of my ideas from browsing through Hobby Lobby.......the bead dept......the jewelry dept mostly.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well......I finished cutting up those plastic plates......I got a total of ten fish out of them.   more than enough to add to the boat.......now to get them trimmed and painted.   I also managed to forget the hair net that I found at work.....I like the looks of it too....DRAT!   I have a few options here that I can look at...we will later ;)    then there the placement of the life preservers.......that will be covered as well........I'll have an update soon  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence......I don't normally do my sails this way,  but for only two of them,  I made a concession ;)    I sew my own though......not as lucky as you are  ;)   still need to finish trimming the rest of the fish.......I think they will look better loose {so to speak}.    not much left to do.......feel like I'm sneaking up on the finish.

so yea.......yet again,  I forgot to bring that hair net I found home......I still will {it's too cool not to}.   I went out and bought a package of hair nets....I looked at those scrunchies that women use,  but I haven't seen the right color.

5abcd8117615b_1.jpg.560409281b3142429f942bf998a6263e.jpg

I also have the model shipways netting that I got in the Nordkap box.  it's already pre cut to size.....I just have to cut the length.

5abcd8652ea7d_2.jpg.1cdc8951f00c9d10799cfd82a26c941b.jpg

the mesh is good,  but I haven't gotten it wet,  to see if it will relax.   it's kinda stiff and still has the folds in it from packaging.  so I still have some testing to do yet.   the admiral even made a suggestion of using tulle......so I got out a sheet of that as well,  along with the mesh fabric I bought from Hobby Lobby some time ago.   from that box of odds and ends I showed earlier,  I mentioned that I found only the crows nest parts from the Half Moon.   I trimmed one of them and hung a preserver on the back wall of the pilot house.

5abcd9a8968de_3.jpg.316e313c002902e4a64168805685df64.jpg

the other one ended up on top of the fore cabin roof.

5abcd9e80f714_4.jpg.a199c6eade8791fbd9b4b8e63fe6cd77.jpg

the hair net.........thumbs down.  the mesh is too large and seems to be too loosely woven.   I suppose stretching it out and spraying it with paint or diluted white glue,  might help.......but it could be used for larger models.

5abcda9be5f99_5.jpg.6ec6305d89481f1a5a628826fe78a97a.jpg

the other hair net isn't like this.........I'll get a picture up here.......I won't forget.   the last thing I did,  after cutting out the rest of the fish......was to trim the haul line for the main stay sail and made a rope coil for it.

5abcdb464ce76_6.jpg.07147274bcdc08c2a731e7e770a833c8.jpg

so now.....all that's left are the fish and the net.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis; a busy workmanlike trawler!

cheers

Pat

Nicely done Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the good word folks.....and those that hit the like button.   figured that since tomorrow,  I'll be back to work again....I'll bring home the net for you all to see.   I also really should soak these nets to see if they will limber up...haven't done it yet.    I hope to have an update on this tomorrow  :) 

thanks again everyone!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, if you are going to soak it try adding as little fabric conditioner; that may help if you are looking for a softer finish

cheers

Pat

thanks for the suggestion Pat.......yes,,,,exactly!  I need to lose the stiffness......when laying on the deck,  it needs to fall into a pile on the deck,  and not look poofy.....it a bit hard to describe.   it can't be too perfect.   lets put on our imagination glasses for a moment,  I have this to show you.   I brought home the hair net I got off the trailer floor.   now....this thing has been walked on.....rolled over......and probably exposed to the weather,  so it's pretty beat up.  but it is still intact for the most part.   there is no shine to this netting........it looks worn.......there are some small holes {nothing major},  and it is not stiff.   think of how this would look lying on the deck.

5ac02ec4349b9_1.jpg.76594f1cc1a6f7b7a715583b1e3fad43.jpg

5ac02ed236fea_2.jpg.25ad4d0be6a8d4293924fdb79ad88e15.jpg

these holes are much smaller,  than the ones I bought.   I even like the head band that goes around the edge.   I imagined it also attached to a boom,  with something inside to balloon it out.   how limp it is and how it bunches.......imagine.......a grown man daydreaming over this.   I am certifiable '''''oh,  I gotta go! the nurse is calling me :wacko:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Daydream all you like Denis; that looks a pretty good fit for your needs.

cheers

Pat

56 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I am certifiable

Maybe so Denis, but not committable. If all it takes to keep you happy is a beat up hair net then you are pretty harmless to yourself and others.................. OOOhh a box of clothespins!!!! :rolleyes:

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I was going to comment.... but squirrel!!!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I was going to comment.... but squirrel!!!!!!!

????????????????:huh:

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just a variation of this meme and similar.

look-a-squirrel.gif.673bbe3b816cf6a0b8f5123fefbd132f.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)