T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:30

OK NOW I understand!

Sorry to have wrecked it for you.

Just shows who is the smarter more astute of the two of us! You got my reference to attention span and things that attract, and your's flew high over my limited abilities. Can I blame it on my Admiral and her endless distractions of Honey-Do's for today to get the house ready for our kids, (Who are well aware of how we live and what the house looks like on non "Family" days?

Dense Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

:D  :D    .......now you have an idea of what it's like when I browse craft stores now ;)   now SHE'S the the one who plays the impatient one  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

50 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

:D  :D    .......now you have an idea of what it's like when I browse craft stores now ;)   now SHE'S the the one who plays the impatient one  ;) 

Should see me in  a model or toy shop then  - Im like a little kid  "wait!   I am a little kid":o;):)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the last couple of weeks play'in with the Tumbl'in Dice.   meanwhile,  this poor build sits on the fence patiently.  gotta put the finish on it ;)   well.....last night,  while browsing the site,  I finished trimming the rest of the fish.   ready for paint........

5acdf83e78247_1.jpg.a3451d7bc2ccbda104b510e157322098.jpg

they were arranged on a piece of tape,  to be painted.  then I did the water test on the tulle and the model shipways netting.   the model shipways netting didn't do so well.....maintained it's shape and didn't crumple as well.   the tulle fared out a little better.......

5acdf90aac750_2.jpg.843469f7548b293e79ade5ee1e33825d.jpg

....I still gravitated to the ratty hairnet though....I like the looks of it.

5acdf94ba6cdf_3.jpg.822fe95b04ed08901fc418f66072a9e1.jpg

before painting.........I looked up to see what cod looked like

5acdf9883122e_4.jpg.40b529fd04ecdab67b00d55eb063eea5.jpg

they were painted an olive green......given a flat white under belly........and then dry brushed over with chestnut brown.

5acdf9ec203e8_5.jpg.4c10117b973955fac20e2deb810322ef.jpg

good enough I think..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Almost good enough for the oven mate :)

Lookin' good

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat......the color is close........just couldn't get the speckles in there ;)  :D   I did the next to the last step.......putting them in place in the trays.   I got the effect I was looking for  :) 

5ace2812b66a3_1.jpg.534606225d885dc131e00c8914586264.jpg

5ace28219aad8_2.jpg.32ae56f6026ff61a40b92ca21bbfbc57.jpg

I put the scissors to the hair net........trimming here......trimming there......    I still need to make it a little smaller,  but this is fairly close to the shape of the net.  as I'm cutting it,  the net is sticking to me.........rough hands getting caught in the frays.

5ace28ade6271_3.jpg.0aada250ef2255ba6c57387fea0ff33c.jpg

after cutting it down a bit more.........it was laid in place.   I can't really glue it,  so if this doesn't look right,  I can change it.    be honest now.....and let me know what you think.......

5ace291687b75_4.jpg.e92134e0971c27f4ae1e919b72f96f00.jpg

5ace291f5f8c0_5.jpg.a00c0a597768f265fa227335db59c565.jpg

5ace2927e3286_6.jpg.c20d9018f4c21bc7bde66c1c1c235b7f.jpg

5ace2931dbb0c_7.jpg.bc92190638ed4c1461ace447f8c9f96d.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The netting size , look and feel appear right Denis.  Cannot comment on the positioning or 'how it lays on deck' not having worked on trawlers.

cheers

Pat

Your cod looks great and the net should look "lumpy" as you have it. It's been working catching fish and is normally not layed out nice and neat.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

The whole build looks good Dennis. I like the net you used, the others were too "perfect". I like the kinds of ratty used look.

As for how cod looks, I like the "Golden Brown on a bed of Chips" look myself. With an adult brewed beverage and some malt vinegar.

Yours however look like they are ready to be filet and fried up tasty like. Well done.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

20 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

and let me know what you think....

Popeye,

If the net was made from mono filament it would not lay straight and tend to bunch up.

If it was cotton the weight from water after retrieving would make it lay straighter.

Add the cork line and lead line with catch both would be lay straight when being retrieved.

Now it looks like it is being retrieved by the winch rollers if the net was partially over the side with the weight of catch it would be straight. The catch as you know would be taken out as it is hauled in by the winch.

If it is displayed like you have it I am assuming all catch has been removed and the deckhands have plied out some  net on deck to straighten it out then rewind that portion back onto the winch rollers after a hard days fishing before they return to the dock. Use whatver strikes your fancy. Very nice build KUDOS:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

thanks gents......I really appreciate the feedback.  I've seen a few of these types of ship models.......trawlers and such,  that use a net to portray a sense of realism,  and this is kind of a first for me.  like I did on the Nordkap,  I have it stowed along the starboard side of the ship,  and not in any working capacity.  I though that with a winch like this,  I might want to try and do something to show how it worked.   after all the testing on the other nets,  I kept looking back at that old ratty hairnet.......it had the look I was after.  I didn't forsake the holes either,  knowing that after repeated use,  it would have gotten damaged, needing repair.   

thank you Tom :) 

thank you Pat......it's alright,  I've never worked on one either :D    the hard part doing something like this,  is at what point is the model to portray.  Just as I've seen folks agonize on what period they want their model to portray,  it's just as critical here with fishing vessels.........all aspects stowed,  heading out to their fishing spot,  or during the process,  in the heat of action.   as John Allen stated,  the net is made of mono filament and impervious to water.....it won't lay limp on the deck.

thanks John Allen....yea, what I chose here to portray,  is the run is over,  the net's in,  and the fish are in the trays.  they are about to move to another spot,  plenty of time to reset the net,  to be run our again when they get there.   the net is bunched,  but I didn't want it to pile too high and look out of scale.   you summed it up quite well...I appreciate that  :) 

thanks Sam,  Piet and Lawrence! :)    cutting the fish out from that square they were molded {printed} on was a good thing to do.   it isolates the individual fish and allows the tray bottom to show around them.......not some plastic that I would have had to paint around.  they are seen as they are....body,  depth,  and mass.....it's kinda like a 3d effect,  rather than looking like they are on a card of sorts.   I had these 'plates' on another Billing's model I did......I think it was the Mary Ann.....I threw them out.  I wish I had thought of this back then.   how they were painted......I'm not a weathering genius.......I sometimes wish I had 1/10th of the experience that I've seen some folks display....I guess I'm doomed to be old school.   it is nice though,  to go on the internet and look stuff like this up  ;)    I got 'em close,  and I'm happy with that  :) 

I looked it over a couple of times since yesterday,  seeing if I could adjust the netting to show the fish trays a bit better.   it's not really possible......it's a 'detail layering' and as we all know,  too much and it's overkill.  I left it as it was :)   there a re no more parts to be added........the model is finished  :cheers:  I'll get the model out of this poor lighting and take some final pictures,   for here and the gallery.   thanks to all of you for look'in in and your kind coments!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is a remarkable model Denis. The details show both your craftsmanship and your ingenuity. They are wonderful. Since you never work on one at a time, there must be something besides the steamboat ready to go.

Bob

thanks Bob for the kind word :)  yes,  this will definitely put the finish on this project....I haven't had the chance to post pictures on her yet.   I want to put the Thermopylae back on the table,  but I've been having thoughts on one of the other projects.  flipp'in a coin ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have had a great time watching you bring this build to life, she looks great, CONGRATULATIONS

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thank you Robert and Kevin......this model made me think quite a bit concerning the extra detail.   I have always said that even Billing's beginner kits,  has enough challenge, for experienced modelers {not that I hold that distinction} ;)   to me...any model kit that offers so many possibilities,  is a good kit indeed.   I still haven't taken any pictures yet,  but I will.

I appreciate everyone who followed along,  I'm glad you enjoyed watching the project.  thanks for all the likes as well :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finally got a chance to do the finish pictures on this model.   the light on the main table isn't good enough.......I really need to set up a better lighting system.  there basically isn't much more to add to the log,  except that it was a fun build,  and that the kit holds many opportunities to enhance the finished model.  it was also very interesting to delve into the background of the coaster........I'm still not totally in the know,  but it was neat to find out how the equipment worked.  I did get to add somewhat of a sort table......but room on deck was getting tight and I didn't get to add the net un-raveller.   I'm sure there was more that could be added;  perhaps one day,  I might clone one more hull from the Mary Ann templates,  and semi-scratch another of these vessels.   with a bit more consideration of the deck layout,  I think more can be done.   thanks to all of you who followed along,  and liked this project....I appreciated all the kind comments and suggestions.

5ad5e1cf01e6b_1.jpg.d9616ea18614ace9c06d658d835ff36e.jpg

5ad5e1db1b22f_2.jpg.c281959ef947e14794446dc3c4f0d3be.jpg

5ad5e1e83a6bc_4.jpg.70bde1d0a445189b9cf190d2bf4dd4a8.jpg

5ad5e1f698191_5.jpg.7c854f7667861441c208a37878e8f276.jpg

5ad5e20368a69_6.jpg.c86bbd5afefa5b536b305c3c55804f76.jpg

5ad5e21c489fb_7.jpg.97cc0de9fd88003ddf5b80fb1fb03b44.jpg

5ad5e23b3bbf7_9.jpg.4677de486681a6aae30ab696465f33d2.jpg

there are a few other pictures........they can be seen in the gallery.  thanks again for look'in in! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really nice job  very colorfull and detailed.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

A very nice model of a working trawler Denis.  You have detailed this one very nicely.

cheers

Pat

Lovely work, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wunderbar Denis, simply wunderbar !!

A great model with lovely fitting out details...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

a huge thanks for all the kind comments and the likes  :)   I'm sure I missed a couple of things,  but I feel that I did succeed in trying to put some functionality into the model.   I had a good time finding out how things worked.........thanks to those who helped out with that.   it also helps to be in the company of so many like minded folks.   I learn something new every day  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John....we'll be side by side in the gallery  ;)    thanks for the inspiration  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your too kind. Not sure I want the competition though ;).  Seriously though I would be honoured and thank you for giving me loads of ideas to shamelessly nick on my next fishing boat build. 

feel free :)    browsing through pictures is a good way to get ideas.  you did a great job on your Norden....can't think of any other boat I'd want to be docked next to in the gallery ;)   I have no doubt that your next fishing vessel will be even better!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: