This book is mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but it wasn't until I was snooping through my party host's bookcase that I discovered this gem. What a book! 3700 articles arranged from Aalesun, a seaport on the Norwegian coast, to Zulu, a type of fishing vessel peculiar to the NE coastal ports of Scotland. (We learn here, among much else,  that carvel hull had a pronounced rake and that they were rigged w/ a dipping lug foresail and a standing lug mizzen. The model pictured in the book is a beauty.) 

Copyright 1988. High quality paper, crisp text, with binding that makes it a pleasure to hold.  Bought it used online from you-know-who.Com.  $4.99. 

Can you beat that? 

Merry Christmas, all 

Oxford Companion.jpg

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

This book has helped me greatly.  It's my go to book for nautical information.  Highly recommended.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Received my copy yesterday. A 1976 edition (probably a little less accurate!). I only hope the author's already been paid, less than $5 (including shipping!) for a 970 page hard-bound book is not going to make anyone rich.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've bought the 2005, 2nd edition, hard copy from amazon.uk prime for £6.65...received it 10 mins ago. It looks brand new and never been opened.

I find reference books easier to read since I don't have to commit to reading the full book over a certain period....I only need to read the bits I'm interested in on any particular day 🙂

The book will first spend a few days in the 'decontamination ward'.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Finestkind! Been around for years. From the folks that brought us The Oxford Dictionary of the English Language ("OED" citation in academic works. It's the academic gold standard.) That's what its a "companion" to. There's a movie out starring Mel Gibson about how they made the OED, The Professor and the Madman, now on Prime or Netflix, one of the two. Worth a watch.

I think of it every time a newbie posts a question asking what some nautical term means. As my father used to say, "Look it up in the dictionary yourself. That way you'll remember it."

Edited by Bob Cleek