America by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Mamoli - 1:66 - Kit No. MV26 by A.Jorden

I'll follow along, though at the rate you are going, it won't take long to wrap this up.  The deck furniture looks very neat and tidy.

I'll also steal the idea of putting the glue on a notepad. :)

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

I was hoping to have the hull completed, painted and clear coat by now which I tend to outdoors. It's be too cold to do outside to work with these few days so I've been working on the mast and gaffs, but they require paint and clear coat also.

I also have have other builds to work on while I'm waiting for better weather to complete the yacht America.  So long as the outside temp is in the 30s and 20s, which is unusual for this area I'll be a little late in posting updates. 

I have this same Kit. The instructions are terrible. Thank you for your log. It will be a great help.

PS I have sailed on the replica and sat in that round cockpit. In fact I was on board during her first fresh water Sail!:D

(Lake Washington, Seattle)

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, fnkershner said:

I have this same Kit. The instructions are terrible. Thank you for your log. It will be a great help.

PS I have sailed on the replica and sat in that round cockpit. In fact I was on board during her first fresh water Sail!:D

(Lake Washington, Seattle)

Greatgalleons,

I also have the same Mamoli kit. This is my first kit (i.e. I'm a rookie with a lot to learn), and I've started a build log off line that I'll soon post. Here are a couple of photos of my dry fit. Why does my wood look different from yours? I don't see any burn marks on your keel or bulkheads. Also, your bulkheads seem to be thicker. Is this the original wood that was in your kit? Great build log and I appreciate your creativeness.

Thanks, Tim

Decatur, AL

DryFit7.JPG

DryFit10.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On January 2, 2018 at 9:25 PM, TUEL said:

Greatgalleons,

I also have the same Mamoli kit. This is my first kit (i.e. I'm a rookie with a lot to learn), and I've started a build log off line that I'll soon post. Here are a couple of photos of my dry fit. Why does my wood look different from yours? I don't see any burn marks on your keel or bulkheads. Also, your bulkheads seem to be thicker. Is this the original wood that was in your kit? Great build log and I appreciate your creativeness.

Thanks, Tim

Decatur, AL

DryFit7.JPG

DryFit10.JPG

I never know where a kit build will lead, I just go along and see what happens.  most times the lack of materials in the kits lead me to be more creative and original, that might upset some people because I deviate from the intensions of the kit, I choose to still have fun at this and break out of the box so to speak.

it looks like your frame pieces are laser cut instead of the rough cut pieces which were in my kit. I'm sure they are the same thickness,  not sure why that is. I think your kit is newer. I believe the mamoli factory fell to flames a couple of years ago and all was lost, Dusek models has purchased the rights and will produce the same models which mamoli did. 

Edited by greatgalleons

• 2 weeks later...

Such excellent work! You have inspired me to give this kit another try. I was quite disappointed with the quality and just shelved it. The fake copper plates are just the beginning of poor equipment.

So I have a couple questions -

I see you used India ink instead of paint. can you comment on this? it looks great. did you just brush it on?

Did you use the deadeyes that come with the kit?

Can you talk aobut your design in the cockpit. Very attractive. How did you work it out?

I will be following you with great interest. Thank you!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

19 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Such excellent work! You have inspired me to give this kit another try. I was quite disappointed with the quality and just shelved it. The fake copper plates are just the beginning of poor equipment.

So I have a couple questions -

I see you used India ink instead of paint. can you comment on this? it looks great. did you just brush it on?

Did you use the deadeyes that come with the kit?

Can you talk aobut your design in the cockpit. Very attractive. How did you work it out?

I will be following you with great interest. Thank you!

Hi there, I use india ink along the tape which marks off the water line, I brush it on as dry as possible so it does no bleed under the tape.  its much cleaner than paint and does not glob up and leave raised streaks on the hull. after the satin clear coat it looks really good. 

I used other deadeyes because of contrast, I'm always aware of wood tones and paint colors for better contrast overall, the kit deadeyes where very dark in color.

If I build this kit according to the intended instructions I end up with a dull looking boat.    I also used different color rigging for better contrast.

the cockpit needed some excitement to it so I just felt creative.

Ive seen plenty of these builds using what is provided in the kit. I was not interested in the same looking model. who says you have to follow the rules. make the art a reflection of your own talent, break out of the box, explore a little.  box kit models are meant to be bashed in my opinion in order to improve them, and also to have a better time in creating them.

good luck with your build and remember attention favors originality.

I'm working on the mast and rigging and had to make a temporary cradle for the boat, it was flopping around like an angry fish.   piece of cardboard and some cloth and it did the job, nothing fancy, don't  need special tools to make a masterpiece. just some ingenuity and a little talent.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Making fantastic progress on your build.  Looks really well done.  I like your scratch built chainplates.  I might have to remember that and try it myself when I get to that point with my America. 

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Congratulations on a beautiful model, a fast and yet very accurate build. Thanks for sharing.

A year ago I built the same kit with a rather different result. You are right about the quality (or lack thereof)  but still the kit is a very interesting one to work with - but a difficult one for beginners.

Those Marisstella kits seem to be quite interesting and I'm looking forward to your build log.

Cheers

Peter

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to America by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Mamoli - 1:66 - Kit No. MV26 by A.Jorden