Hello from Klamath Falls Oregon

As the title says - Hello! (Or should that be Ahoy, mates?)

As you might guess from my name, I’m a Brit recently transposed (via New Jersey) to Oregon. 63 years under my belt and retired these last 7 years; married and one 14 year old stepson. Recently rediscovered the many novels to do with the Age of Fighting Sail; O’Brien and Forrester I’d had for a while, currently on the Bolitho saga.

I’m not exactly a newbie to wooden ship building (kits) - I made the Billing Bounty over a stretch of time in the 80s/90s, working purely from the plans (pre-Internet days and no handy local library) and without the aid of any proper modelling/woodworking tools. So as you might guess it looked OK from a distance, but up close... not so much! The model has since been lost, which is probably no bad thing!

I’ve decided I want to have another go at kit building, after having spent some time recently working with wood & plywood and this time having the luxury of having sufficient spare cash to buy proper tools haha. As a tribute to my new homeland I’ve pretty much settled on the King of Mississippi from Artisana, having looked at some build logs - though I’ve yet to buy it which I’ll probably do in a month or so. (I did have fantasies of building the USS Constitution, but that’s clearly waaay beyond my skill set - and wallet - right now.)

if if anyone has recommendations for specific tools, books, DVDs, YouTube etc I’d be very glad to hear them. I’ll be reading the guides on this site and others re planking, rigging and so on but my motto is you can never have enough knowledge!

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Welcome to MSW. I have purchased  two Artesania Latina kits and in my experience you will need to check were the kit has been manufacured. If it is made in Spain the quality is OK.

My experience with second kit is an Artesania Latina  made by their subsidiary in Hong Kong and the quality is horrible!! 

Good luck.

Renato   

Hi Hugh,

Welcome to MSW from the other side of the pass.   I commuted from Medford to K Falls for a couple years about 20 years ago.  I always loved that drive.

As for kits... take some time and browse the build logs of the kits that interest you.  You get some good info on the pluses and minuses of them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the U.S.; land of the free because of the brave! I'm 67 so we are close in age. The Mississippi River Boat is indeed unique. You may try a YOUTUBE search for your vessel. Never know what you will find there. Loads of great stuff. Manufacturer websites also have info and tools. There are costal vessels still afloat in your region, I think. I think of model ship building as creating a heirloom for my youngsters.

:sign:

K Falls is a wonderful place. I hope you get to see Crater lake with its winter blanket. Always my favorite scene. I am a grad from Eugene living in Seattle. Love the Northwest, won't live anywhere else. 

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hugh, a warm :sign: and Merry Christmas to you.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

6 hours ago, fnkershner said:

K Falls is a wonderful place. I hope get to see Crater lake with its winter blanket. always my favorite scene. I am a grad from Eugene living in Seattle. Love the Northwest, won't live anywhere else. 

We went to Crater Lake in the summer - breathtaking! My winter driving skills aren’t up to much though so a winter visit will have to wait for me (though the snow was still there in mid-July!)

One year we took the Grandkids there in August. There was still snow in the shadows. They were amazed! And even though they had shorts and t-shirts they had no problem running, slipping and sliding on the snow drifts.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Welcome from Belgium 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I quite agree with Floyd.  I'm fond of Crater Lake, and the coast highway.   We've done the road trip from extreme northern Oregon down to California several times on that road and always hit all the pullouts and state parks along the way.  Very beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)