USS Constitution by Antonio Vasquez - Revell - scale 1/96 - PLASTIC

I spelt sail wrong......I'm los'in it  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

you'll have more control than with a spray can.   what brand is it?   I have a Spraycraft gravity feed that I haven't used yet.   practice with it.......you'l get comfortable using it ;)    nice bit of painting there ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I am trying to attach the galley stern to the hull. The bottom part by the rudder has about a 1/32” gap so I know it’s not going to glue right. Should I buy some putty or would an epoxy or JB weld work better. I have been using wood filler for uneven spots but I don’t think it’s works well for gaps.

on plastic models,  wood filler is not always best. it will tend to crack over time.   it doesn't stick to plastic very well either.    Testor's and Tamiya have a plastic putty......there are other brands out there as well.

the transom / counter part has always been a problem with these models..very hard to fit correctly.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking very nice indeed.......even the transom came out well  ;)    the decks look great as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I broke off a lot of the Belaying pins on my last plastic build.  I decided to try to make me a small fife rail to  accommodate some 6 mm be laying pins that I ordered.  I’m having a very hard time however holding onto and work the small wooden pieces.  I don’t want to use small vice grips or my hemostats because I’m afraid of leaving marks on the word. What do you guys who  work on wooden models use to grip those small pieces?

C602699B-58A0-4ECB-9711-35DF4E843EDE.jpeg

Hello Antonio

I don't know about other people but I have an old pair of crossover tweezers that I like to use for stuff like that. I have had them so long that I don't even know where I got them but they are something like this:

CIR%20335-5188.jpg?width=200

Hope that may be of use to you as well.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I just use clothes pins........I flip the wood parts over on the spring ,  and it give it an  inverted look                                                                                                                        

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The clothespin system works well for holding regular stuff like for painting. but for tiny stuff like Antonio was showing they can be a little clumsy unless you cut the tip WAY down to a point. I would use them if that was all I had, if for no other reason other than they will not leave a mark on the wood, but i still think tweezers are better as they are a little more delicate in their application and easier to use on tiny parts.

Lou   

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

nawwww...that's when you go well beyond the step,  forgetting to do it  ;)    you've made some really nice progress,,,,very nice!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've heard of folks doing this........likely this is the reason why.  good save  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I need to figure a different way of doing these rails. I was sanding the flash off of one as gently as possible and it broke. I knew when I removed the piece from the sprue that those rails were going to get broken. I tried to cut a piece of red oak on my table saw the same size as the top rail. But it didn’t turn out very well. The wood had a large grain and the piece looked really rough when I was done. I wonder if anyone has done these rails a different way?

692D351E-9ECE-47B8-8FC1-CE14DAE16249.jpeg

DC6429DF-C039-4F15-991D-FC205F98522E.jpeg

78C54CED-3638-4472-8A2A-1D3373D21015.jpeg

Hi Antonio

You might go back to brass rod like you used in the hammock frames. Then you could possibly try a finer grain wood sanded smooth for the cap rail.

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

May I humbly  suggest that you look at using soldered brass strip.  If you pre-tin the top rail and make a simple jig you should be able to put this together pretty easily even if you are new to soldering.  Much stronger result and once painted shouldn't look out of place.  IHTH  I am so enjoying your build and your ship looks beautiful.

Dan