USS Constitution by Antonio Vasquez - Revell - scale 1/96 - PLASTIC

On 4/17/2018 at 7:28 PM, Antonio Vasquez said:

Bent some wire over a .188 in piece of steel. I used a welding tip cleaner to file a small groove in the rail and then glued the wire in. So far so good.

9E24A94B-6CF0-4CC2-9F7A-5B95BD091586.jpeg

I'm glad you posted this, because i have been looking for solutions--good thinkin!  Below you can see my amidship rails came out all warped, and one broke (which i tried to mend, but that wound up looking like garbage, as if the warp wasnt bad enough). The molds around the base of the stanchions were really bad and chewed up, so getting them to fit together properly was tough, the rails on one side are super close together, and the other side far apart.  I have a back up kit for extra parts, so I was going to redo them, but alas, two of the rails broke from that kit (one just came that way out of the box).  So yeah!  I will be trying this method for sure, thanks for sharing!

I just scrolled up and saw you mentioned your own difficulties with these flimsy things--let me know what you come up with.

IMG_0862.thumb.jpg.4d3f174dd55330a1f56f07d980e6ec0f.jpg

I've never used anything else......I've repaired most of my shortcomings.   this model must be made with brittle plastic...I've experienced this with past builds.  the ideas suggested sound like good alternatives,  short of repairing the part,  if it isn't beyond repair.   looks like you've made great progress with the hammock nets.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

They are for sure very brittle.  Although i havent had too much trouble with anything else breaking, a few eye bolts here and there but nothing too serious.  I just think its weird how Revell chose to make that particular piece... perhaps thats how they are on the actual ship?  In two separate halves?  I dont know.  But i think it would have been easier to work with if the stanchions were all separate and in one piece (like the smaller ones), glue them on separately, fix the rope, and then glue on also separate rails.  The piece as it is now is almost too brittle to support its own weight--which isnt much. But hey, if it were too easy it wouldn't be as fun. 

I've done the Connie and the United States already.........I have the two kit in cue for a second go around.   Revell had....or still might have a problem with their plastic being too brittle at times.   of course,  age has a lot to do with it as well.  I've read about the many instances where folks either reinforced their masts,  or replaced the eye bolts with metal ones.   at the time I built them,  I was unaware of the problem.......and when I did read of the problems,  I was scratching my head,  because I had never experienced any of the problems.    my two digs with these kits are the ratlines and the decks.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I came up with for my amid ship rails. I went with one piece on the top rail because I couldn’t get a piece of styrene cut thin enough. I haven’t had time to paint them yet. Had to go to the hospital and have two stents put in so I’m kind of out of commission for a little bit. Can’t wait to get back working on my ship. Thanks for all the feedback.

E56CB34E-07CA-40A5-8A45-ECE8A7D37101.jpeg

1A80A1ED-BE2B-4D26-94B1-539B4C0B5771.jpeg

13F48C12-4E5F-44CC-878E-AF50AF94CF69.jpeg

6D6BCBA1-30EF-4E31-9878-727F88058C3D.jpeg

Looks mighty fine.  A great improvement over trying to cobble together the broken kit parts.  Did you think to score a deep groove lengthwise down the top rails so you could use a very dark paint wash to fake the separation?  This structure will be much stronger than the kits parts that is for sure.

I hope you are on the mend and feeling better.  

All my best wishes.

Dan

that should fit the bill very well  :)   Evergreen has thinner strips available.   get better my friend........pull'in for ya!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 5/13/2018 at 3:35 PM, DCooper said:

Looks mighty fine.  A great improvement over trying to cobble together the broken kit parts.  Did you think to score a deep groove lengthwise down the top rails so you could use a very dark paint wash to fake the separation?  This structure will be much stronger than the kits parts that is for sure.

I hope you are on the mend and feeling better.  

All my best wishes.

Dan

Damn, I didn’t think of that!  I tried to split those 4 mm strips down the middle and I couldn’t get anything of consistent width.

I tried to cut some wooden ones on my table saw and came out even worse. I’m curious as to why there are two rails on top, the posts are set apart very narrowly and it doesn’t look like there would be space in there for the human body. Can anybody elaborate on why those rails are set up differently than the ones at the front or the back of the ship?

7F2942E5-4D1E-407D-92E8-D00C0535F666.jpeg

E92DB101-0C17-4511-9FFC-B743F1182E19.jpeg

• 2 months later...

hope you feel better friend.  those particular railing are just that..railings {unless they are separated at the cap rails}.   the ones that surround the bow,  mid ship and aft bulwarks,  are primarily used for hammock roll storage.   they have a dual roll as sand bags for small arms fire and shrapnel.   your Connie is looking really good so far ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 months later...

lots of folks didn't like the blocks......as well as the eye bolts.   I've used them for all of my 1:96 scale models,  without any problems at all.  I've also heard laments about the masts and how they tend to sag........a lot of these problems though are due to rigging tension.  to understand string tension and stretch is the best way to execute the rigging,  so it doesn't distort the masts and yards.  you wouldn't be doing a disservice substituting wood ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

did you add the thicker section as a sleeve,  or did you assemble the yard in three pieces?   I've seen most folks add short strips of strip stock to the center of the mast dowel {as a full length yard},  and sand it to retain the eight sided appearance.   I would say that with the thickness of the mast,  you could accomplish this with 2 mm wide strip

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well then......just sand in the flats.  if you should goof up and only do a six sided center...no one will notice  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure on it since I use the diluted glue too.   I would think that varnish or anything similar might erode the fabric over time,  making it brittle.   not only that,  if you were to use anything to weigh them down for shaping,  there would be a kink that might be hard to remove.  as with most things,  if you have a good method for doing something,  it's best to stick with it.   do some testing if your unsure ;)   nice looking yards by the way..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, Antonio Vasquez said:

These blocks I ordered from Syren are really nice. I think it’s going to be really hard to get the line through those little holes.

E9DD574C-6BD3-43BA-91BA-CB7E91E9F1D7.jpeg

0C7D281A-71B6-465C-AE96-1BD39B4AA0D9.jpeg

I drill them out, hold in needle nose pliers, Dremel and drill bit done.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually tip the thread with CA......make for a stiff 'needle' to poke through.  I'm sure you won't have any problems with Chuck's blocks........he does a good job on them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

18 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I usually tip the thread with CA......make for a stiff 'needle' to poke through. 

I agree with this technique. You can also use a drill bit just a hair larger than the hole to ream the hole out just a bit. Between that and the stiffened end of the line, it will be much easier to thread the block. 

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

I am Epoxing some bamboo skewers to the inside of the masts to make them a little more stiffer . I am having to remount one of the yards on my first mass since I accidentally snapped it off when I was moving  I am having to remount one of the yards on my first mast since I accidentally snapped it off when I was moving out it, CRAP!

5D0D5038-3179-4EA3-9260-73C1CA51E184.jpeg

18B11235-E91C-4986-A271-B4462901094E.jpeg

41823B3F-6E04-49E0-8CEB-CB2AF6F5C521.jpeg

mast work looks very good ;)    glad your feeling better!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks really good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• The title was changed to USS Constitution by Antonio Vasquez - Revell - scale 1/96 - PLASTIC