La Jacinthe 1823 by guraus - Scale 1:48 - Goelette

Hello,

Here is my new project: the schooner "La Jacinthe" at 1/48 based on Jean Boudriot's monograph from Ancre. 

As there are no frames plans in the monograph I will do a solid hull model as suggested by the author. The keel and frames I made out of 6mm plywood, the deck was covered with 1.5mm thick bass strips and the spaces in-between the frames was filled with 10mm x 20mm strips of cedar wood. The hull was sanded then the imperfections were filled with wood filler and sanded again. It is now ready to be planked - I will use pear wood for external haul planking and holly for the deck.

At this moment I plan to do a full rigged model and with the rigging the model will be 80/25/60cm (L/W/H). Hull only is 48/13/10cm

Here are the pictures with the progress so far.

Regards,

Alexandru

DSC07160.jpg

DSC07161.jpg

DSC07162.jpg

DSC07163.jpg

DSC07164.jpg

DSC07165.jpg

DSC07166.jpg

DSC07167.jpg

DSC07168.jpg

DSC07170.jpg

DSC07171.jpg

DSC07172.jpg

DSC07173.jpg

DSC07174.jpg

DSC07175.jpg

DSC07176.jpg

DSC07177.jpg

DSC07178.jpg

DSC07179.jpg

DSC07180.jpg

For all my builds please visit my site at: http://www.AlexShipModels.com

Previous builds

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

For some reason I stopped posting on MSW. Now, a bit over 2 years later I decided to finish this build log as I finished the model a while ago. I even started a new one. So here are the pictures, maybe someone will find them interesting.

Regards Alexandru

DSC07210.jpg

DSC07211.jpg

DSC07212.jpg

DSC07213.jpg

DSC07214.jpg

DSC07215.jpg

DSC07216.jpg

DSC07217.jpg

DSC07218.jpg

DSC07219.jpg

DSC07220.jpg

DSC07221.jpg

DSC07222.jpg

DSC07223.jpg

DSC07224.jpg

DSC07225.jpg

DSC07226.jpg

DSC07227.jpg

DSC07228.jpg

DSC07229.jpg

DSC07230.jpg

DSC07231.jpg

DSC07232.jpg

DSC07233.jpg

DSC07234.jpg

DSC07235.jpg

DSC07236.jpg

DSC07237.jpg

DSC07238.jpg

DSC07239.jpg

Previous builds

Wow, looking good guraus, welcome back, hows that beautiful victory of yours holding up?

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Beautiful work!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

5 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Wow, looking good guraus, welcome back, hows that beautiful victory of yours holding up?

My Victory sits nicely in her display case - I didn't touch it in the last couple of years. Now and then I look at her and I say to me I will take it out and add some small details like pins in the pintails, lids on gunports, deadeyes and chainplates etc. 

IMG_8500.jpeg

Previous builds

Beautiful work.  Thanks for getting us up to date.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

beautiful - a true professional 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Wonderful job ! A very beautiful model.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Congratulations on a really beautiful build!

Tony

Great work.  Thanks for sharing.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hello Alexandrus,

I agree with the other folks that you've made a very fine model.  However, as a retired draughtsman/designer, I 'm noting

an omission. I also have a set of the "Jacinth" dwgs from Ancre, but I'm not able to look at them now;   I see you have put

3 reefs in the fore-topsail.  How could the seamen reef the topsail, if there are no foot-ropes to stand on? These would not

be difficult to add!  Kind Regards, Pollex (Calgary)    20 april'2020

Edited by pollex
added date

32 minutes ago, pollex said:

Hello Alexandrus,

I agree with the other folks that you've made a very fine model.  However, as a retired draughtsman/designer, I 'm noting

an omission. I also have a set of the "Jacinth" dwgs from Ancre, but I'm not able to look at them now;   I see you have put

3 reefs in the fore-topsail.  How could the seamen reef the topsail, if there are no foot-ropes to stand on? These would not

be difficult to add!  Kind Regards, Pollex (Calgary)    20 april'2020

Pollex,

You are right, there are foot-ropes on both spars on that masts in the plans - I just checked. I've missed them, and probably missed a number of other ropes. I might add them when I revisit the model in a while - I sometimes do that like I did with my Japanese Fune.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Alexandru

Previous builds

Missing a few lines or not, it's still a beautiful model, Alexandru.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Alexandru, 

Fantastic. Well done.

I especially like your deck work and boat. 

Regards.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thank you guys!

I am quite happy with this model especially considering I am not usually rig my models, even rarely I make the sails. 

I have tried some new (for me) way to make the sails and I liked the results so that the model I am currently working on will be also fully rigged. 

Alexandru

Previous builds