The bulwarks on the upper (spar) deck of a 18th century warship were painted red, along with other deck furniture.  What about the bulwarks on the second deck or gun deck?  Were they also typically painted red?  Perhaps white, to brighten the dark space a bit.

This may vary depending on which country was the ship and whether they were wartime or peace.And surely it was used a light color for lower decks.

20422090979_4d891f1078_o.jpg

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Hi Dave;

The contemporary model of HMS Ajax in the Science Museum archive,  which I have studied and photographed out of its case,  has red bulwarks and black spirketting on its upper deck (the black spirketting is not as common as red,  from what I have seen)  This is then repeated on the lower deck,  although it is much more difficult to see.  The centre-line fittings on the lower deck are also painted red,  as are the sides of all the deck beams to the upper deck and lower deck (and presumably their undersides,  although none of my photographs show these)

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS