French frigate diana

Snow

Hi 

Just wondering if anyone has built the french frigate diana. I'm just finishing off my first build the amati adventure and will post finished ship soon ( don't be too mean I'm learning) as i go and thanks for all the help any help would be nice 

Cheers snowy merry Christmas and happy New year to all

Hi Snow.

Which brand/manufacturor is proposing a French Diana ?

I have only knowledge of two Diana's available in a kit version  : an English Diana(manufacturor Caldercraft Jotika at scale 1/64 ) and/or a Spanish Diana (manufacturor Occre at scale 1/85 ). 

If you're into French frigates ( I am  :D) Lafayette's Hermione seems an interesting option, it appears to be a new (updated) release.

I surely wish some of Boudriot's frigates were available in a 1/64 kit version ( La Renommée, La Vénus,... ) but that's another story, I'm afraid.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Hi Snow,

I started the Occre Diana 10 yrs ago, but the work stopped with the birth of my children. This is how it looks at the moment:

IMG_2871.thumb.jpg.68db2eb293d5f7cae3256dfcf9762d9d.jpg

During the build I deconstructed the model several times as I updated/ replaced the kit parts with aftermarket or scratch build ones. Apart from the basic hull very few of the original kit remained. 

IMGP4526.thumb.JPG.8259b99464f5cfc3a36b785eab605718.JPG

IMGP4501.thumb.JPG.5a973fa420f1c3ed3c188188ccbc167c.JPG

If you are not too critical about the historical accuracy this is an entertaining build. 

Wish you good luck and ask, if you feel I can be of any help.

best

David

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 2:14 AM, DavidG said:

Hi Snow,

I started the Occre Diana 10 yrs ago, but the work stopped with the birth of my children. This is how it looks at the moment:

IMG_2871.thumb.jpg.68db2eb293d5f7cae3256dfcf9762d9d.jpg

During the build I deconstructed the model several times as I updated/ replaced the kit parts with aftermarket or scratch build ones. Apart from the basic hull very few of the original kit remained. 

IMGP4526.thumb.JPG.8259b99464f5cfc3a36b785eab605718.JPG

IMGP4501.thumb.JPG.5a973fa420f1c3ed3c188188ccbc167c.JPG

If you are not too critical about the historical accuracy this is an entertaining build. 

Wish you good luck and ask, if you feel I can be of any help.

best

David

This is an amazing Model David.... Thank you very much for sharing it with us! 

I'm impressed with the full gundeck, with no dummy barrels! I like it alot! Have you had any more time to work on her? 

Keep up the GREAT work... better late than never! Sargon

thank you Sargon. Actually I worked a bit on her this year. Made a pair of replacement bow rail pieces (the kit one doesn't fit), but not glued yet. Also fitted the channels, deadeyes and chain plates. By the current plans, I'm not going to rig the model due to lack of space, but this might change as I plan to move. 

The Diana needs actually the bow area built and with some short mast poles could be declared as built. 

On the other hand there are some areas of the model I'm still not satisfied. I'm thinking of replacing the quarter galleries, making a new capstan, and tidying up the stern decoration which is a failed attempt of carving.

This is no change vs my history with the ship, I was constantly building/ deconstructing / rebuilding, resulting the improved areas contrasting the kit parts, and defining new targets for update. In turn, this endless loop and the lack of time made me to stop working on the model for years.

Anyway, I can set a build log, if there is interest.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:58 AM, Snow said:

Hi mate could you tell me what the color is beside the gumports is it a sand colour i cant work it out thsnks

Hi Snow, the kit calls to use the dark 2nd planking strips around the gunports, but I choose the insert some rows of the kit supplied light one. Not for authenticity, I just liked the look. I framed the gunports with standard 1x3 mm walnut strips (leftover from other kit) and stained them red. The result is some kind of dark reddish brown. I may try to take a pic in natural light if you are interested further.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, i am coming back to modelling after a longer break, my last project unfortunately got destroyed during last few years moves (i moved apartments 7 times including 3 country changes during the last 4 years, the plastic from the kit got warped from moving in the car :)

I was wondering to get a POB kit and looked at the Diana for her reasonable price - however i am confused by the pictures on the net and cant find anywhere any info if she has a full Gundeck or not, alternately if she doesnt, how hard is it to convert her to have a full Gundeck ?

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Hi Jasseji, it has a gundeck, however not full length, the bow area is closed and the deck does not extend there. The model is also designed with dummy guns on the gundeck -  this is very simple to convert, just leave the dummy strip and add guns like I did. For the foremost gunport, which is between bulkhead 2 and 3, I added a small platform to hold the gun. Hope it helps.

IMGP3925.jpg.137a4482882b9226b9f47f1497652b58.jpg

That'll take some fiddling to convert.  But not much and it looks pretty doable.  I did a similar bash on my Constellation.   Put more time into thinking about it, planning it than I did doing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)