Working on my hull planking. This build is a little different in that it doesn't call for a rabbet. Sure I could have added one. I should have added one.

I'm left gluing the tips of planks to the stem & stern and I'm having a tough time getting a clamp to stay put there to hold the plank. It wasn't too bad at first starting at the wale and working down. Now I'm about 2/3 finished and I can't get a clamp to hold in place. A rabbet gave the stick something to bite into, to wedge against.

I was hoping some of you might post a pic or two  showing how you do it.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

They "overbending" the plank a bit so it's end is in place.   Dab a bit of CA down the plank (and the end) and put wood glue on the rest. Just don't let the wood glue touch the CA as it cause the CA to quickly cure out.  Put into place and hold for a few minutes to set the CA.

The only other alternative is drill some small holes in the framing and bend some pins to hold the strake into place.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark - yes it seems like I am down to the ole finger clamps. I don't know if it's the cold or what - it's about 50F in the shop - but the CA (medium) is not setting even after a few minutes. Hence the need for something to hold the end down for 15-20 minutes while the wood glue sets.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike,

I don't know if this will help but my approach is to create a temporary mini-rabbet using a small spring clamp.  I also follow Mark's advice to overbend the plank but I don't usually use CA as the clamp will hold it long enough (i.e longer than my thumb can manage!) for carpenter's glue to do its magic.

This works on the stems on the ships I've planked.

IMG_2658.jpg.92c68f1ed2f2c50ab57ee079040f7f79.jpgIMG_2656.jpg.008a0c3771d41b5ce94e8f1dfec88fe9.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Micromark sells a set of pin collars that I have found to work well in planking.  It is a set of small knurled brass collars with set screws that fit t-pins so the collars can be set tight to whatever to hold it down, The pin goes in the substrate and can be used to hold the plank (one at a time) close to the last while the collar is set to hold that plank down.

I have found that sharpening the pin with a file, to a rather long point, helps it to enter the wood better and hold better.  T-pins often have a rounded point the eases out readily.  A second thing I've found is that cutting the T-pins shorter, say about  a half inch or so, then sharpening makes them easier to use than full length pins.

I've also found that presetting the collars and hammering the pins tight works better than mere finger pressure.  Takes a little experimenting to get the knack, but they work where other clamps don't.

MICROMARK.COM   Pin Collar Set  #84419   16.95   (for about 25)

Chazz

I think your CA might be old (it will go bad) or you are putting too much into the joint, or the temperature was too cold.  Less is more when using CA.  I have put CA on the tips of every plank I have ever installed installed using PVA everywhere else on the plank with great success and not had to use any pins (nails) or clamps.  Of course I did over bend the planks as well as use the electric plank bender directly on the joint to set the glue faster.

Enjoy, it is always a learning experience.

Paul

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

Have you tried using Kicker ? Its a product that comes in a little spray bottle and when applied to the joint causes CA to set promptly. I do not usually spray it but use the pickup tube as an applicator to avoid overspray and waste. CA sets in the absence of oxygen so that what the Kicker does then quickly evaporates.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren