Barque Stefano by Heronguy - MarisStella - 1:63

Welcome to my build log of the Stefano.  

Stefano.jpg.d4499cde87269c59a2c76291e32ab2aa.jpg

When I saw the 2 current logs for the Stefano I was captivated by the beautiful lines of the ship and decided about a year ago that I would like to try to build it.  Now is the time to start.

I'll dispense with the kit contents photos.  They can be seen both in Don Robinson's log and in Zoran's log.

The contents of the kit seem to be of top quality.  As noted in the other logs the plans are extensive and excellent.  There is lots to be learned from building this kit.

A side note for some of the Syren builders out there who are just dealing with the coppering of their hulls - the Stefano kit comes with photo-etched copper plates with toenail patterns (port and starboard) embossed.  I'm not going to miss pounding copper foil when I copper this hull!

IMG_1579.jpg.f137ea9a098d01b84791451abc988c21.jpg

In addition to the plans and instructions with the kit I also have every reason to believe that there is very good person-to-person support here on MSW from both Don and Zoran.  Don's already helped out a couple of times.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Unboxing the kit contents was an indication of the challenge ahead - finding room for the build and eventually for the completed model - the hull is 810mm long the completed model will be 1121mm.  

IMG_2435.jpg.6409c5a95bbc30f2b12f24209be62ef6.jpg

The keel/bulkhead former consists of 7 pieces.  Note that the plans are 1:1 wit the model. IMG_2441.jpg.d9fd8d0f40467ad45900fed847063217.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg.6c9a2f288a316ec4fda224c5e4aeaa3d.jpg

In anticipation of this build I purchased a Hobbyzone building slip.  I'm hopeful it will prove it's worth. Look here for some other MSW member's experience with it.

IMG_2453.jpg.47f4a6627a7a2421feccc0c96a1e0683.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

One of the innovations credited to MarisStella is the bulkhead alignment system using wooden dowels.  

The bulkheads are dry fitted to the keel and the dowels are inserted through the laser cut holes in the bulkheads.  I had virtually no adjustments to make for either of these 2 steps.  :cheers:

IMG_2459.jpg.d861c3c47fd26edd16532b39dd570235.jpgIMG_2460.jpg.dca6e471567a80ab363de8cbedbebf09.jpgIMG_2462.jpg.ac181e2d0ad2a6b326dc35f4ea0b1f58.jpgIMG_2463.jpg.cd25522aaea1059bdcae332a0066f84d.jpg

Doug

Although the alignment of the bulkheads is controlled by the dowel system, it doesn't guarantee that the bulkheads will be perpendicular to the keel.

IMG_2469.jpg.bed3393b9fea756f8e37c5a194deb1fe.jpg

At this stage nothing is glued so we just work through the 21 bulkheads ensuring that everything is squared up.  

IMG_2474.jpg.3030d15c385cee78b357182f56ca8aae.jpg

The vertical line you see above is actually the edge of a steel ruler resting on the dowels and creating a gauge marker that I used to check squareness of the bulkhead against the marks on the building slip.  (for the curious only: the X on the building slip just shows me where I lost a hold down nut when assembling the slip)

IMG_2497.jpg.df6cdd586015173ff1567dbcee15dbf7.jpgIMG_2498.jpg.044bfc1285e06efa7c4f3cdc6ab1f53d.jpg

Glueing is accomplished by painting on diluted PVA glue at each point of contact between the bulkhead and the keel and the dowels.  Takes a little while but the end result is a very rigid frame.

Doug

Pulling up a chair for this build. Looking forward to it.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I can't believe you've started another one already! This should really be a fun build and the ship is such a beautiful one too. I'm looking forward to following. 

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

I can't seem to be happy without a hull to plank.  I hope I'll feel that way about rigging some day - if I ever get to rigging one of these little beauties.;)

Doug

Congratulations Doug on your new build, we now have enough builders to start a "Stefano Guild" ;). I will gladly follow along with your build, it is a lot of work but really is a beautiful ship. Wish you the best and will look forward to seeing more.

Welcome Derek, David and Don to da D club - Doug

Stefano Guild - sounds like fun!  I'm not usually a joiner but I'm in!

Doug

At the same scale as the Syren we can see how much ship she is!

DSC_9783.jpg.a7fe4a036997d224578c90dd0bb8db0e.jpg

DSC_9779.jpg.3fb45c9b033d61185a5edaf9ea9472d3.jpgIMG_2472.jpg.778c82700781103d3fcaa45dff2839ee.jpg

Doug

The next step is to shape the stern and bow filler blocks.  The plans contain 3 views of the stern filler.  

5a553d6889546_IMG_2523(1).jpg.5ac46a484d9c5da29a41d1b76959525b.jpg

Having been raised on the prairies (that's a flat place if you're unfamiliar) I feel challenged imagining 3D shapes from their 2D projections.  These filler blocks were no exception.  Fortunately the 2 build logs for the Stefano have lots of images to help.

The stern filler is made from 3 balsa blocks.  I've taped then together to get a sense of the shaping I had to do.

IMG_2520.jpg.e711e5d77db10dc0148102820f3fe78d.jpgIMG_2518.jpg.20dfd2cbf388f1f99fcfed7567aa9f72.jpg

I did my best to try to create the shapes I saw in the plan.

IMG_2540.jpg.d1e4ce32f400c0a766d7f6704d67f9aa.jpg

Don was kind enough to comment on them and convinced me to try harder!  There is almost none of the 3rd balsa block that contributes to the final product.  I go a little closer with some more sanding and I expect as the stern planking nears the centre of the ship (longitudinally) that I may need to shave a bit more off.  

DSC_9805.jpg.b2b86a495090a1cad56ea4ec5e6010ef.jpg

Shaping the filler is only part of the job - it also has to be attached to the frame.  As usual with odd shapes normal clamps aren't helpful.  Fortunately the elastic bands worked OK.

DSC_9810.jpg.0cc1fa36dfb4ed5d2fd13e29abfb8ab6.jpgDSC_9811.jpg.6e2e228e8362d547e43f9a5db5662a2c.jpgDSC_9813.jpg.69681d6421d26187cd6768757f0de42e.jpg

DSC_9817.jpg.d301b5eae4c6fc100dc6d22c223a0317.jpgDSC_9815.jpg.e9fc33ec1c1ae88239fca4e6b6c2e496.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg.3647b7cd474707f2bd43d02f815ae4d4.jpg

I also added a couple of small fillers between bulkheads right near the bow and stern.

IMG_2543 (1).jpg

Doug

So Doug, I'm curious, when are you going to start your first scratch built?  I think you are heading in that direction and I can see your skills are improving (and I've noticed you seem to be "gearing up").  This is starting off great, but I know that you like to have two or three on the go at the same time.  Great work.  I'm envious.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Derek.  I’m fortunate I’ve got some time to put into the hobby.  I don’t imagine I’ll ever do a scratch build - on the other hand a bit of kit bashing seems reasonable.  When I looked at the Bluenose II today (vis-a-vis the Ratliner trial) I see so many mistakes and things to do better that I figure I’ve still got a lot more skills to develop before I even get a good kit build.  

This kit has such good quality parts and plans that I’m a bit daunted what I’ll do to the poor thing.  Gotta try though!

Doug

I'm delighted to see you join Don in building Stefano. I'm thinking about it for my next build and can't wait to see more of your progress. You're off to a great start.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  Don's work has certainly motivated my interest.  I know from your other builds that your Stefano will be marvellous - I hope to see you do it!

Doug

I must say. This shall be a fine ship. Great work. Like the build slip. Wish you many more happy build hours.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thank you Scott.  Most likely many, many happy hours and over a long calendar interval as well!

Doug

did you catch my bug?   awesome looking hull frame ;)    I have a Billing's slip.........like your better.....measurement lines and all!   gonna be a large model,  no doubt about it.......pleased to follow along :)  {gotta catch up on your other projects first ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Welcome aboard popeye.  I guess we should warn all the MSW membership that the bug is contagious!  

I like the slip so far but I will confess that I usually handle my hulls off the slip - too big for the desktop I work at most often.

I should probably catch up on my other projects too!!!!

Doug

I find that the slips work for a short time.....once the frame starts being handled,  it's hardly in it ;)    mine usually end up on a towel,  especially during the faring phase.  I haven't updated my signature......if I listed them all,  I'd likely scare folks!  :D  :D    waiting for paint or cement to dry is usually my biggest downfall  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Amongst your many modelling achievements I admire that you get your builds into the FINISHED status.  I gotta learn how to do that!

Doug

not to worry.......you've widened the field ;)    actually,  it creeps up on you when you least expect it :D    I wish I had a hull this large for my Thermopylae.   just build until you run out of ideas.......or material {parts}.......whichever comes first!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Planking the Stefano requires wrapping a plank around the stern.  I soaked and bent a full length strip for 1st strake on the port side going from bow and around the stern.  It terminated on the bulkhead 18 (3rd from the stern).

IMG_2557.jpg.81c3cd4747d8284bd9d935f9110a4ec4.jpg 

For the 2nd strake I used a shorter strip to simply wrap around the stern up to bulkhead 15 on each side and then used another pair of shorter strips to finish the strake to the bow.IMG_2559.jpg.3eb5bf73b7262041908f5dbc0ccec8ab.jpg

Since the bulkhead extensions (above dec level) are to be cut off sometime later in the build it was suggested that the planks not be glued to the bulkheads but rather just edge glued to the strake above.  Of course that can't work for the 1st strake but I did that for the following strakes until they ere below deck level.  The intention is to reduce the amount of "cleaning up" of the inside gunwales when the extensions are removed.   I haven't had any problems with the strakes being solid.

IMG_2560.jpg.07b899b37b627ae22a09c86ffa2719d6.jpg

Same strategy for the 3rd strake as for the 2nd.  Wrapped the plank around the stern just to bulkhead 17.  Clamping the planks around the stern was a bit of a challenge.

IMG_2569.jpg.e7dcfd02377dc94f68408666d4255fd0.jpg

DSC_9840.jpg.216c970f97491bda67f7067421929270.jpgDSC_9839.jpg.b6efb9e4fd3217eba3fe2691cb95565b.jpg

Doug

What a great start  - love the profile of the planking.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Doug,

It's looking great. I think this might be a very satisfying model to work on - It looks like it presents plenty of challenges but with a pretty big payoff.  

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

the stern looks like it going to be a beast to plank......three bands for the transom.  now you'll have to taper for the counter.   if the frame is fared well enough,  you'll have no problems.  dry fit the planking to see how it will lay  ;)    looks good so far  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So far so good on the stern.  Pictures to follow.

Doug

After placing 4 or 5 strakes it appeared to me that at the stem the planks should be repositioned slightly.  I released the planks at the stem, sanded them down and reglued them with some extra clamping provided by yours truly.

IMG_2636.jpg.84ed04055f81fb2f035141c1ac53b089.jpg

Looks better now.

5a5febc67f34f_IMG_2655(1).jpg.c012025d9cfe2a8fcfeff42a9d23879c.jpg

The stern requires a bit of a bend as well as a 90º twist.  Clamping as always is a challenge on these spots.

IMG_2747.jpg.b48dc85843463a695b9863c552f5d080.jpg

I found I could slightly ameliorate the problem by adding scrap  of wood on the top side of the balsa stern filler.  This are will be removed later in the build to there was no harm in doing this. Worked quite well.

IMG_2746.jpg.0f16e50f4df25b2e085977c83c7be0b7.jpg

The current state including the garboard strake and the  broad strake above it.  So far all but the last strake added have been full width strips.  The hull is quite easy to plank as for the remaining strakes the tapering required in nowhere more that 1mm off the 5mm strips.

IMG_2759.jpg.fcbcc0c9642102e277f276c17fe3abe7.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg.2d47b253ad37a7f90850c80c937cc4b0.jpgIMG_2761.jpg.362944fa686776bd72e84b1838202966.jpgIMG_2762.jpg.d80c26c4bb1d54f8a851670d413e7a50.jpgIMG_2763.jpg.85cebba6dbefc05e40356c5626de4028.jpg

Doug

look'in good Doug  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: