RMC

Granado by RMC - Caldercraft - 1:64

Alan: I have found a shop in Sydney that sells Mr Hobby paints.  They did not have the colour I wanted of course, but progress, nevertheless.

A combination of the Tamiya paint and the capping rails has proven difficult.  I think the paint problem is finally solved, but the rails etc continue to be a problem.  The highly curved part around the bow is VERY reluctant to remain bent to shape.  It's self-inflicted unfortunately - the molding that I have used is happy enough to bend - but only so far.  I had glued it, then left it clamped for 24 hours, but after an hour or two it came adrift near the stem.  I have re-glued it and will now leave it clamped.  I will be spending two or three weeks down the coast south of Sydney from next Sunday, so I hope that be the time I return, the molding will have behaved.

This is how things look at the moment.  The first photo gives an idea of how the capping around the fore deck will look.  The connecting molding between the fore and main capping needs a little touching up and will need its length to be adjusted, but it has turned out well.

DSCN3296.thumb.JPG.decaebcdd9720b95315575e09792dc0c.JPG

The main capping needs another coat of paint and a coat of polyurethane, but I'm pleased with the result so far.

DSCN3297.thumb.JPG.6f11c345acae4e55c85bd769fa8d9e63.JPG

DSCN3298.thumb.JPG.7dacb20621ab4186496804b4d13e8379.JPG

Below are the curved moldings clamped round the bow.  Provided they behave after nearly three weeks worth of clamping, the whole thing should turn out well.  Of course the captain of the Titanic probably said something similar on leaving Southampton.

Oh, and Happy Christmas etc to all those who have been kind enough to comment, 'like', 'react' ........ since I began all of this.

DSCN3300.thumb.JPG.0aba95347f319b831e28308d39a14e10.JPG

She looks great. I have found that applying heat off the model is the best way to induce bend. I have a Monocote blower but the truth is any hair dryer will work. Usually i make up a bend form off the model because bending on the model can cause something else to bend. I have to say all your paint lines look crisp and straignt. You have given your self a wonderful Christmas present. 

Enjoy the season.

kevin

Thanks for your comment and good wishes Kevin.  I'm afraid it's a bit late to apply heat, though at certain times I wouldn't have minded applying flames to the whole thing. 

All the best

Bob

Three weeks worth of clamping seems to have solved the bending problem.  This is progress.  There is some touching-up to do and with luck the other side will be finished in the next day or so.  The whole thing has proven to be very difficult indeed, though most of the difficulties have been self-inflicted.

DSCN3301.thumb.JPG.4e0b8fc72c87a93d58e9106d125cc0a3.JPG

DSCN3302.thumb.JPG.9f383fb133c2fcc2e77e7a534acc897b.JPG

DSCN3304.thumb.JPG.5ea26dc58ab4badaf40adc36cb3c81fb.JPG

While way we had some interesting weather. We have had a property overlooking the ocean for more than 30 years, and while away, experienced some of the strangest weather we have seen: thick ocean fogs, storms, and quite amazingly, a roll cloud.  I had never heard of such a thing.  It was about 300 metres from the sea surface, about 500 metres high, stretched from a headland to the horizon and was shaped like ...well, a perfect roll. Unfortunately I hadn't brought my camera, but photos may be found on the web.  Evidently they are very rare.  As it moved north towards us, without warning we were hit by a single huge gust of wind which blew lunch (and almost us) off the table.  It was quite extraordinary.

The capping and sheer rails are now complete, but for a couple of coats of polyurethane.   The two following photos give the general idea of how it all looks. The poly will even out the paint finish between the fore and main caps.  I am quite pleased with the result, but I would not like to do it all again.

DSCN3305.thumb.JPG.c2fe67fed20951363d77b169f35e2b03.JPG

DSCN3307.thumb.JPG.2d55cf48cc124645defabb872cd5b2bd.JPG

Before rigging the guns, I decided to drill all the necessary holes for the various cleats.  The guns and the various other bits and pieces which will eventually be on the deck will make it difficult to do later.  As well, the kevel cleats supplied in the kit made from 2mm ply are  very rough indeed.  Similarly the 2mm ply for the ladders is both rough and out of scale.  I have made replacements which I hope look a little better.

Unfortunately the photo is not too clear.  It shows the cleats from the kit (top and bottom) and my replacements - a piece of 2x2mm strip and glued to it a piece of 1x2mm strip.

DSCN3310.thumb.JPG.b6e5c7aed087bf5b78eb6f4c262777e6.JPG

The final product, painted.

DSCN3315.thumb.JPG.b490c6333ba17c3d9ded2236dea6034d.JPG

This shows the cleats positioned but dry-fitted, and the unfinished ladders I have copied shamelessly from Joe.

DSCN3316.thumb.JPG.457f3b71bac7850e42a887f961e095b7.JPG