Rigging for Dummies

Is there a modern book of the explanation of rigging and it mechanics, sort of an Rigging for Dummies or Period Ship Rigging for ye Very Mentally Challanged? Biddlecomb is kind of a chore. Some thing like this is gonna do that. I’d like to get a very basic understanding and then read Biddlecomb.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

hi kurt

it might be worth having a look at  "rigging;period fore-and-aft craft"  by lennarth petersson   and also "rigging period ship models" by the same author.

the descriptions are mainly pictorial which is very helpful for a beginner.

you can then read biddlecomb and steel and it may not be such a chore.

hope this helps.

cheers....mick

Try zu Monfeld's "Historic Ship Models"... gives a good overview of this without being too specific.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Keep in mind, you don't really have to know why/how about  every line on a ship.  As the number of masts and sails increase, you have

the same basic principles repeated over and over. 

Just pick a mast and a type of sail; main, top, stay, spanker, etc., and the basic principles, with a few exceptions will always apply.

This is not to say there won't be variations among countries and periods, but a 'lift' , a 'brace'  a 'shroud' or whatever, won't really change that much,

because the work to be accomplished will be the same.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

That’s what I thought. I think I’m reasonably mechanically inclined. I’m looking for an understanding of why something is done, so I know that something I model would make sense and would actually be able to do the job intended. It would just give me a much greater sense of accomplishment, then just recreating something that I haven’t the slightest idea how it works or what it does.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

It's really very simple.  Everything in the rigging needs to get to or be fixed in to position in three dimensions: up/down, right/left, and forward/back.  Now put a rope on everything such that it pulls in those directions (down is mostly taken care of by gravity).  If the object is heavy add a way to multiply the force (block and tackle).  Try not to foul or tangle the lines.

There, I just described 99% of the rigging for all ships!

Sounds silly but it's true.:)

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci