Mississippi 1870 by vossy - Sergal - 1:50 - Riverboat

second that !    look'in great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hi all, have started on the posts that go around the boat to hold the decorative balustrades. all pieces are just sitting there atm. also made a start on the upper crew staircase, again just sitting there as it needs more sanding and atm is a bit of a different angle to the one below it.

DSCN0244.jpg.b88ec4e80b4ae77b01c1ba8f494b7c03.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg.ce40ba2ce2bb46f2958b2731ca58c6e0.jpg

DSCN0246.jpg.c02ee6ec15fe493639a6a8d859f6315a.jpg

also fashioned some decorative timber on the lower part of the posts at the foot of the main passenger staircase.

DSCN0245.jpg.1a66e2a5c43b25eaa6dacd38566c8a2d.jpg

cheers

chris

look'in really nice Chris!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Lots of fancy railings are definitely a downside to being a riverboat enthusiast (although not all boats had such gimcrackery). Looks like you're off to a good start.

5 hours ago, Cathead said:

Lots of fancy railings are definitely a downside to being a riverboat enthusiast (although not all boats had such gimcrackery). Looks like you're off to a good start.

it is one of the things I really like about them I must say, and although I know this particular boat is only a somewhat fancy representation of a grand old lady, I do like all the trimmings she comes with. bit like decorating the tree at Christmas! having said that, I am itching to get stuck into the Chaperon which has been sitting patiently in her box since last Christmas. that is fortunate though, as whilst doing the Mississippi I have been ruminating over what color to do the deck on her??? still tossing up between a red one like Kurt's version. or a lighter stained one. 

cheers

chris

Cool, you're doing Chaperon next? I'll look forward to that. My personal aesthetic eschews any bright colors even if authentic, so I personally would do the Chaperon's deck as a highly weathered red or a duller red-brown, or at least a naturally stained color. But that's just me. Get those railings done!

Hey Eric, yes I got the Chaperon for Christmas last year so she is next up. As I said, she sits in the box waiting for the go ahead. So far all I have done is open the box, check the contents and look through the instructions. I wont start her, or a log, until Mississippi is finished or at least up to the final rigging stage.

Cheers

Chris

You work behind the scenes ... I presume the revenue service would like to know about that ... ;)

Your fancy railings turned out quite fancy. I like the way it makes her look.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

look'in sweet Chris!   the railings look great!   shaping up nicely  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Chris -- Give us a full shot of her at some point.  Looks great.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Looks good but why did you paint them white ? They looked so good dark.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

The posts I mean, not the railings.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

6 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Looks good but why did you paint them white ? They looked so good dark.

hey mike, they are not painted at all. its just the light. they are the same dark color as the pics above them. will try to get better pics today. the only things painted on this boat are the stark white area's and the red paddlewheel. everything else is natural wood with coats of acrylic matt clear on them for protection and to enhance the natural wood grain and color. I will admit though, they do look a lot lighter in those pics.

cheers

chris

Love it !

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Love the scale figures, Chris.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

• 2 weeks later...

coming along really good Chris.........the decorations really add a lot to her.   looks awesome!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

So some minor progress, beginning the balustrades and railings Port side

DSCN0277.thumb.jpg.f7656ad323cf0128f95271d77927b025.jpg

DSCN0278.thumb.jpg.1db9c80318e1a04a9ebdc987fb0407f2.jpg

pics aren't too flash but steps into rear entry upper accommodation deck

DSCN0279.jpg.8f094725510b9c813bed7573383bde0b.jpg

DSCN0281.jpg.d2efa90e2d835a12c3342f7c5e61249b.jpg

view down Port side

DSCN0280.jpg.995d282f8150e9134a8d88edb7d27c24.jpg

Thank goodness for high def digi cams! I didn't realise that one of the brass balls was on its side until I took this pic. Lucky it was an easy fix that has now been rectified. Its the second one from the right. Pretty hard (for me at least) to see with the naked eye.

DSCN0282.thumb.jpg.82e0a80513dfbdb14da231471871d64b.jpg

Cheers

Chris