Mississippi 1870 by vossy - Sergal - 1:50 - Riverboat

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, cog said:

I'll wat for Wednesday .. but keep in mind you do not start to look like popeye, and  try to keep several builds in the air at one time ... 9I'm guilty meself too)  Not to shabby those railings ;) Those really give a finishing touch now you are nearing completion ...

I've come too far on Mississippi now to not complete her. I would just like to break up the finishing of her and the starting of Chaperon. I really enjoy the "birthing" process of beginning a new model.

Cheers

Chris

Hmm, I think I can call myself an Aussie Rules fan, but as I'm a sandgroper and came to Victoria late in life I'm not sure I get the reference - unless it's the grandstand railings at Brunswick St Oval?

Steven

4 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Hmm, I think I can call myself an Aussie Rules fan, but as I'm a sandgroper and came to Victoria late in life I'm not sure I get the reference - unless it's the grandstand railings at Brunswick St Oval?

Steven

The year I was born, 1964, Fitzroy didn't win a single game. I supported them through thick and thin. We were always the laughing stock of the comp and eventually got kicked out in 1996. One had to have immense patience to support the club and saviour the odd win. Still love them to death though!

Cheers

Chris

That's the true test of a genuine fan - the bad times, not the good ones. It's easy to be a fan when your team is winning, but to stay faithful when they're losing time after time, and keep the faith no matter what, that's what it's really all about.

I support (naturally enough) the West Coast Eagles. We do ok, but it's a long time since we won a Premiership.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

• 2 weeks later...

Carl said:

I'll wat for Wednesday .. but keep in mind you do not start to look like popeye, and  try to keep several builds in the air at one time

guilty as charged............I'm pleading insanity though :blink:   don't worry Chris........the admiral has been badgering me about the TD.  I'll not hear the end of it until I do.   just caught up with your progress,  and I gotta say.......she look'in quite stunning!   really nice work!   I think it's kinda funny that they'd mess up the spelling,  but if they can mess up subtle detail,  they can mess up anything  ;)     com'in along splendidly!

Happy belated birthday................is that the Mayflower on the lower shelf?

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the nice comments Popeye. Much appreciated. The boat on the shelf is the Mamoli Golden Hind. I pretty much gave her up at this point when I got sick and tired of replacing deformed pieces or missing lumber etc. Probably my own fault as I should have done an inventory before I began, but this was one of the first kits I built so I didn't really know any better. It is a real disgrace how much of this kit was missing. For example, there was only enough planking material to do one side. But don't get me started. I will, or at least want to, finish her off one day.

Cheers

Chris

my Half Moon was like that........although it was sent to me for parts rather than to build.  when Tom closed down his store,  the kit was used to settle customer service complaints.......the kit was not complete.   I scratch built the missing parts and brought it almost to the point of rigging.  poor thing is sitting on top of the main table.......I was meaning to bring her back out,  but went off on another tangent {yea.......that's what us unstable folks call it}.

I just went through another Q&A about my projects :( ..........I better go make supper {I need comfort food}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much done and dusted with the final Starboard side upper rails. Just the stairway and single rails to go. Time to turn the old girl around and complete the Port side. Still need to put the fancy deco's on the posts though.

DSCN0384.jpg.afbff1ea6874b8699a201532e181c0f6.jpg

DSCN0385.jpg.8213192a0333c2d5050e14c91f574bde.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg.72407f2a8c4b3c00e657cebfd7f434f4.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Chris -- She looks really terrific.  How long is she?

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

• 2 weeks later...

the Mississippi i"m working on is only 660 mm...smaller by far,  but still a decent size.   

she's a good looking monster  ;)    nice work Chris!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 months later...

Long time coming I know, but finally a bit of an update! Still finishing off the upper rails, but over the Christmas period I got myself some more willing passengers! Unfortunately these figures only come in packs of 6 and all packs contain the same figurines. So, as you can see from earlier posts I already have a few glued into position on the lower deck horse bay area. So what I will do now is paint the ladies dresses different colors (have already made a bit of a start on this), and I figure if I position them in different parts of the boat they will all look like different people. Some of the worker type people, I intend to cut and manipulate arms etc. and repaint to get a different looking figure. Anyway, here's some pics. Oh, and they are all just lined up here. No-one glued into position as I cant see any ending up here. Just a mass gathering to show the people.

DSCN0387.thumb.jpg.865edd27e81ef05f25961c8c8719c9c6.jpg

DSCN0388.thumb.jpg.819ecaf27c55300a196b6930c5577117.jpg

DSCN0389.thumb.jpg.840cd8ec49b821254545aac274a450aa.jpg

DSCN0390.thumb.jpg.c970c8a87a74de904011c9783748da3f.jpg

DSCN0392.thumb.jpg.5c8d4c7b4e747f0db6b8070b46950cc5.jpg

DSCN0394.thumb.jpg.d2d9eaa8a0f3e50888c68ee2113aa8a8.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Wonderful

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Definitely a nice touch. I've looked for some 1:64 scale figures for my Arabia but have struggled to find anything that seems appropriate.

nicely done!   :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Upper Port side staircase. Not 100% happy with this, but it is what it is. I maybe able to deflect eyes from

it via cunning methods elsewhere. Anyway, the Port side is always my "test" side so I hope to do better

on the Starboard. All mistakes are my own and not the kits or manufacturer.

DSCN0407.thumb.jpg.8acc48cc046e01979897dbbd1dd94784.jpg

DSCN0408.thumb.jpg.aa0fac507ab0646b784488924c0c828f.jpg

DSCN0410.thumb.jpg.66bbc1707984a3c4baebcad32a4ab8f1.jpg

DSCN0411.thumb.jpg.623c50c1dec5740044ac7ee597889718.jpg

DSCN0412.thumb.jpg.4dbd2c4c6bb0e3ffda78f6614b3c3bc5.jpg

Cheers

Chris

• 3 months later...

Bit of a long overdue update. Sorry about the poor photography and lighting.

DSCN0425.jpg.edbe2a838518fb3681d0412376681b13.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg.3ae31121a604cab73fa321278e95c9a8.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg.bb48bf88648038bf963d9688c6d60c0b.jpgDSCN0432.jpg.9ae4bc64791ee172d241762d44bcc311.jpgDSCN0433.jpg.d33b93298e82b294ed7488dea1604332.jpgDSCN0435.jpg.9e5e852a734a37180b80cc53d6e4d532.jpgDSCN0437.jpg.77b870037239e6af9e1247a852f7ce45.jpg

Main smoke stacks nearly finished and ready to be installed. Have to touch up painting on bridge (well that's what i called it in the Navy).  Now have about 30 passengers and crew that will be added later.

Cheers

Chris

Wonderful detail inside the pilot house.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Work on main smoke stack and access ladders. I slightly changed the smoke stack from the box art.  All parts, including the pilot house are just sitting there and not glued yet. Smoke stack also needs another coat of black to hide a few glue stains.

DSCN0442.thumb.JPG.5b368a07ff2fa1be6b716d6f78cc1618.JPG

DSCN0443.thumb.JPG.c1a8751d028b10369f2e94716a47406d.JPG

DSCN0444.thumb.JPG.9bc5ef1da6056928d72c22e3e4149e77.JPG

DSCN0447.thumb.JPG.37941266dd9a91e3fde22696178fd715.JPG

DSCN0449.thumb.JPG.145de82307e3d2f1d6b392a4e0721ef7.JPG

DSCN0452.thumb.JPG.3a6bf4ad8f58e0b913cea1bdea15de25.JPG

DSCN0455.thumb.JPG.014427b7781de8141846109e3f982621.JPG

DSCN0456.thumb.JPG.949defb71a9e08a32b5bc36a5f9e484c.JPG

DSCN0457.thumb.JPG.395b44089a2f4a3ff96412550b3cb757.JPG

The smoke stack only goes through the deck 5mm so I am hoping it will be sturdy enough when glued.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, does this kit include the various bracing cables that supported the chimneys (stacks)? If so, that'll help stabilize them. If not, it'd be a great detail to add for function and appearance.

26 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Chris, does this kit include the various bracing cables that supported the chimneys (stacks)? If so, that'll help stabilize them. If not, it'd be a great detail to add for function and appearance.

Hey Eric, yeah there are bracing ropes etc. You may be able to see a couple of eyelets near the top of the stack? Also there are 2 brass rods that connect both stacks together, so this will also help. I have jammed some wood into the end of the stack that will meet with some timber inside the stack hole, so that combined with a thin bead of glue around the bottom of the white part of the stack should make the whole thing pretty solid. Well that's the plan anyway!

Chris

8 hours ago, vossy said:

A few high res pics my sister took when I had the boat around at her house. Much better than my efforts.

I wouldn't know about that, she still does look pretty darn good to me

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

She's a beautiful build, Chris.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area