Mississippi 1870 by vossy - Sergal - 1:50 - Riverboat

Chris:

Given your focus on riverboats, I thought you'd appreciate this anniversary card my wife gave me.

Regards,

David

Pop Up Card.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

making great progress.........she's look'in very nice  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

really like the card dave! I must apologize to all who follow this build for the slow progress. unfortunately I have been having some health issues of late so the build has had to take a bit of a back seat. hopefully after the barrage of tests and scans I have had this past week or so, some bright doctor may finally be able to work out what the eff is wrong with me and get me back to the boatyard!

chris

Chris:

So sorry to hear about your health issues -- here's hoping that all will be figured out and you'll be on the mend quickly.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

likewise........I hope you get better soon :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

so, here is some further progress. finally finished planking and sanding out the windows and door frames of the second deck structure. at the moment it has only 1 coat of paint and is just sitting there. not glued down yet, hence its not really level in these pics, plus I reckon it will be a lot easier to place the windows and doors before its stuck in place. I need to put some fine filler between some of the planks, but I may also leave a few as I think it adds to the rustic character of the boat. also, I am brushing all the paint work to achieve a more realistic look for the period. the only medium I am spraying on this is the final clear matt coat as I finish each section.

when I get the windows and doors all in, complete with curtains, I want to see just how visible the interior of this structure will be from the outside when the third deck is also attached. if I can see fairly clearly inside this space I will install a floor and add carpet, dining tables, and a gambling area down aft. 

cheers

chris

DSCN0067.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

If you want to be realistic, I believe that the aftermost part of the cabin was often reserved as the ladies' parlor. The mens' "gambling parlor" would probably have been further forward, to keep their cigar smoke etc. from bothering the ladies. Of course, any given boat could do it however they liked.

I see you're watching Olympics too. They're slowing me down by distracting me, but helping by entertaining me while holding down fiddly glued bits. Glad to see you're making progress!

I notice that the floor fore and aft of the structure is open.....you'll need to fill them in if you want to detail the interior.  in the A.L. kit,  they don't do this.....it'a a full "floor".   the exterior of the structure looks very good  ;)    are the window inserts solid and closed in?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hey pop, all the window/door openings have to be framed then the windows and doors are placed in place. on the kit instructions the openings here are supposed to be doors with handles on each one. on my boat however they are going to be windows with small curtains. here you can see 3 examples of the windows dry fitted for you to get the general idea. the openings here have only been framed in the vertical plane atm. on the outside of each frame there are louvre shutters either side which I am yet to make up. at the front of the structure is the main doorway to the entrance of the structure. once all the windows and doors have been glued into place I will be able to see just how much of the interior of this space is visible once the deck is fitted on top of the structure. if it is too dark and one cant really see inside I will leave it as is. if, however it is still fairly visible, I will put in a false floor (easy to do), and try to create a scene inside the compartment.

chris 

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0076.jpg

so, I have completed one side of the interior windows and main doors to the second deck structure. I decided to go with yellow curtains as it is quite dark inside, especially when the next deck goes on as you can see where I have placed it on top to get an idea of how much visibility is inside. again, the whole structure is just dry fitted as I still need to make up and position exterior louvre window shutters on each side of the windows. this should also clean up and square off the window framing nicely. I hope!

chris

DSCN0079.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

wish I had windows like those.......I'd be a very happy camper  :)    she's look'in great..the windows and doors came out nice as well.  did you run out of black door knobs?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

wish I had windows like those.......I'd be a very happy camper  :)    she's look'in great..the windows and doors came out nice as well.  did you run out of black door knobs?

no, I wanted to use black knobs on the lower working deck and white/ivory knobs on the upper class decks. I am thinking red and white polkadot curtains for the next level windows and doors as well, but first have to make a start on all these louvre shutters for these windows. that will take an age!

chris

Windows look terrific, Chris.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

polka dot is good...... :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

So, after what seems like an eternity, I have got the shutters on the Port side windows. Each shitter contains about 35 individual pieces They tend to show up a bit dodgy in the pics, but in real life I am really happy with them. again at this point this structure is just sitting there as its way easier to glue the shutters on beforehand.. also the next deck is just sitting there as well. 

Chris

DSCN0092.JPG

DSCN0094.jpg

DSCN0101.JPG

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0104.jpg

DSCN0106.JPG

Edited by vossy

Chris:

The workmanship on those stairs is really exquisite.  It's almost a shame to put anything on them.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I agree about the stairs......unless you have an idea about 'no slip' treads.   the windows came out great as well :)    your way ahead of me  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

continuing on with the very tedious louvre shutters for the starboard side windows.

they come on the fret as a dual piece that must first be cut in half. once cut the frames measure 40mm x 10mm

DSCN0113.thumb.jpg.f118971a7116bec5ec5d3745da4fa2f5.jpg

DSCN0117.thumb.jpg.f1c5562ef756ce2285ec6297b905a210.jpg

once cut and edges sanded I glue a tiny backing board to the frame. this board is 5mm x 0.3mm

DSCN0119.thumb.jpg.fc38bad25256e44c8816d87cf6df1cff.jpg

pieces of very thin, 3mm x 0.3mm plank are then glued together in a step like fashion.

DSCN0124.thumb.jpg.5879bfb2d089a14e2d40ca126bd174eb.jpg

I use another backing board, slightly smaller than the area of the interior framework to glue these on. it makes them stronger and far easier to sand prior to fitting.

DSCN0111.thumb.jpg.ac088b6a6d883b4ac9bb9de058550a3e.jpg

DSCN0120.thumb.jpg.6cb21a8803053cf3e4a9a21b42adc1d2.jpg

hopefully once all is glued, sanded and fitted, I end up with something like this to attach to the windows in the structure.

DSCN0122.thumb.jpg.58da7ad0b9b4e55c5462f3c8ba966a6e.jpg

chris

DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

Chris:

Fantastic detail work.  Looks similar to planking -- never ends!  :D

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

some more progress. have finally finished and fitted the starboard side louvre shutters to the windows. this whole structure has now been glued into place. have made a start on the second deck balustrades as well as the passenger ladders leading up to the next deck. also have planked the next deck level and made a start on the underside stiffening boards. here this is just dry fitted to try to get the correct alignment. next step, hopefully in the next few days, will be to glue this deck into place, position the access ladders for both the passengers and aft crew ladders.

chris

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

She looks great, Chris.  I particularly like the staircase.  Beautiful.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

your way ahead of me.........windows and stairs look great  :)    sweet look'in model so far  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You really are doing a marvellous job on this.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Looks terrific, Chris.  How did you get the nails into the paddles so neatly?  Looks like the angles between paddles would have been too narrow.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hey Dave, the nails are actually false nails. What I did was first cut the blades to length. Then got a heap of old bent planking nails from previous builds and cut them down to about 1mm in length. Next I carefully lined up the blades on the wheels and marked where the nails would go. Then I drilled a tiny (very tiny in fact) hole and just tapped the cut-down nails into the blades. When they were all in, I gave the blades a few coats of matt clear, which further helps stick the nails into the blade, then line up the finished blades on the wheel and just glue them on. The nails therefore don't actually penetrate the spokes at all. They are only there for looks. I like the way they turned out, but it was pretty fiddley to do.

Cheers

Chris.